Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:08 PM   #41

I stocked up on a few accessories while I was at it. What a deal... I guessing having to wait the 1-3 days was well worth it.
WOW

$60 battery
$40 card reader
$35 memory card
$15

4 year accidental damage warranty (the 3 year warranty was $89, can't recall the price on the 4 year. But I may as well got the for free at this rate, and if any one needs that...)

All the above for just $125~!! Totally stoked with Abes of Maine.

So how is this memory card going to treat me? I plan on buying another one to have as a back up...
One mans sad moment; is another mans Kodak moment. The flash in the pan only lasts but so long... Adjust your focus to the shot you got... That pixel on the face of realities wave is you, ride with style, and when the other pixels greet you may it be with a smile, even if they are but laughing at you rather than with... joy is the flash in the pixels, be a Super Bowl to the stadium of pixels around you. OK I feel better now...
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:37 PM   #42

$60 for a Lumix ZS3 battery? Hmm...
Do yourself a favor and buy a good soft pouch like this one:
Lowepro Redo 20:

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:42 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch View Post
I stocked up on a few accessories while I was at it. What a deal... I guessing having to wait the 1-3 days was well worth it.
WOW

$60 battery
You can usually find generic batteries for under $10 if you shop around on Ebay. Even if you shop with a reputable online vendor with a retail store location, you can sure find them for a *lot* less than $60. For example, here's that exact same battery (brand/model) for $24.95 from B&H (a very reputable vendor):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Battery.html

Quote:
$40 card reader
Card readers are *very* inexpensive. You can find dozens and dozens of different models for under $10 now. Jut look at the available USB 2.0 attached readers from newegg.com for some examples of how inexpensive card readers are now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ue&Order=PRICE

Quote:
$35 memory card
Same card, $13.99 with free shipping from newegg.com (a very reputable vendor):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-090-_-Product

Quote:
$15
I can't make out the brand name on that one. But, chances are, you could find something similar for less.

Quote:
4 year accidental damage warranty (the 3 year warranty was $89, can't recall the price on the 4 year. But I may as well got the for free at this rate, and if any one needs that...)
But, is it worth the paper it's written on and does the company repairing it have a good reputation (or, is your camera going to be "lost" for months if you do have any issues)?

Quote:
All the above for just $125~!! Totally stoked with Abes of Maine.
My condolences.

Quote:
So how is this memory card going to treat me? I plan on buying another one to have as a back up...
Transcend Class 6 cards have a pretty good reputation.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You can usually find generic batteries for under $10 if you shop around on Ebay. Even if you shop with a reputable online vendor with a retail store location,
Abes used to be a lot worse. Now their big enough so that they don't actually screw you outright.

They are a Brooklyn outfit. Did they move to Jersey? They know less about Maine then my White Balance Dog does, and he's actually been there.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:07 PM   #45
Administrator

That's my understanding (they're located in Edison, New Jersey now).
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:42 AM   #46

Quote:
You can usually find generic batteries for under $10 if you shop around on Ebay. Even if you shop with a reputable online vendor with a retail store location, you can sure find them for a *lot* less than $60. For example, here's that exact same battery (brand/model) for $24.95 from B&H (a very reputable vendor):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Battery.html
So how comporable is a generic battery to the one I bought, from what I gather it is a great battery.

BTW thanks for turning me on to BHP, they do have better deals than Abes as far as listing prices.

Quote:
Card readers are *very* inexpensive. You can find dozens and dozens of different models for under $10 now. Jut look at the available USB 2.0 attached readers from newegg.com for some examples of how inexpensive card readers are now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ue&Order=PRICE

Same card, $13.99 with free shipping from newegg.com (a very reputable vendor):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-090-_-Product
A card reader for under $10? How much time do I have to spend to find a comporable one at this price on Ebay?

The conveniance of having the salesmen simply giving me a deal on all the great products he sold me for basically the price of a 4 year deal is not something I need condolences for IMO.
Quote:
But, is it worth the paper it's written on and does the company repairing it have a good reputation (or, is your camera going to be "lost" for months if you do have any issues)?

My condolences.
If anything my condolences to you seems in order for your comprension of the matter considering how as long as Abes sticks to their warranty, how I managed to get the battery, two cards and case for free... sure the products may only cost $ 75 elseware, but all that means is that I save $75 as opposed to $125, not to mention the time of having to look over the WWW for the deals you insinuated. Deals on items I don't need considering how I may as well have gotten the 4 free, Considering the 4 year accidental damage warranty... You guys seem to know a lot about Abes, have they had issues in the past in regards to their warranty?

Hey Jim,

Isn't there a link to Abes on this sight, I could have sworn that I was directed there when i was researching what camera to buy?
One mans sad moment; is another mans Kodak moment. The flash in the pan only lasts but so long... Adjust your focus to the shot you got... That pixel on the face of realities wave is you, ride with style, and when the other pixels greet you may it be with a smile, even if they are but laughing at you rather than with... joy is the flash in the pixels, be a Super Bowl to the stadium of pixels around you. OK I feel better now...

Last edited by Jagsbch; Feb 23, 2010 at 7:19 AM.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:04 AM   #47
Administrator

You'll have to tell us what kind of extended warranty you bought. My guess is that they're reselling one of the third party services, and some have better reputations compared to others.

As for card readers on Ebay, a quick search for USB multi card readers with buy it now prices from 0 to $10 shows almost a thousand listings. ;-)

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_BIN=1...o=0&_udhi=9.99

Or, just look at the readers at newegg.com using the link I posted for them.

Look... you see those types of "package deals" all the time. But, if you examine the contents carefully, you'll usually see that inflated prices are being used for the supposed "savings" you get buying those types of packages, if you compare pricing of similar items at other vendors.

For example, if you look at that battery, B&H has the exact same brand and model for less. You'll find it at even lower prices at some of the discounters.

Ditto for that Transcend 4GB Class 6 SDHC card at many reputable dealers that stock it. You can even buy one of them *including* a USB card reader for under $20 at many vendors. newegg.com is out of them right this second. But, you can see their listing for it here ($12.49 plus $5.99 shipping).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208516

amazon.com has them in stock that way though (Transcend Class 6 4GB card with reader). They sell it for $16.99 with a reader (with free shipping on an order over $25).

Personally, I hate it when vendors do that kind of thing (list package deals showing savings, when inflated prices are being used compared to what popular vendors are selling similar items for), as I think it's misleading to consumers.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:28 AM   #48
Administrator

For example, current list price on that Transcend card is only $13.99 (not $35 as Abe's of Maine is showing it), according to Transcend USA. Here it is directly from Transcend USA's store:

http://shop.transcendusa.com/product...emID=TS4GSDHC6

They also show the card reader combo at $17.30 now (and you can find it for less at discounters like newegg.com, amazon.com, etc.).

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/I...D=TS4GSDHC6-P2

Now, at some point in the past, it may have been as high as $35. But, memory cards (like other technology related products) have continued to drop over the years (just like hard drives, etc. - where you can get larger capacities for less money).

That's the same tactic you see used by some of the Brooklyn Based vendors (selling the accessories at inflated prices). That way, they can make up for the lower prices they sell the cameras for (as they have to make a profit somewhere). They typically charge a low price for the camera body, then charge inflated prices for the accessories to make it look like you're getting a better deal by buying a package, adding on things like extended warranties and more to increase their profit margin (and you can buy a 3 year SageMax protection plan with accidental damage coverage for cameras valued at up to $249.99 for only $43.99 at B&H).

Abe's of Maine is not as bad as some online dealers. But, I don't like it when vendors use those tactics to sell gear.