Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:05 PM   #1

Default Better Body vs More Kit?

For a very long time I have been in the market for a DSLR. I have looked at just about every Canon you can buy, this is my preference and already have two lenses from a film SLR.
Originally I wanted a 450d however, am I right in thinking that this is a quite an old camera now as the 500d and 550d have been released since? My two options now are either to get a 500d or a used 40d from say London camera exchange. I can get a 40d for around 460, a very good buy I think.
The main question I have though is is it better for my photographs to get a speed light and 50mm lens and a used 40d (only if I can get a warranty of course!) than spend the extra on a 500d or 550d and not buy the accessories?

Thanks Chris
gibsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:18 PM   #2

I am not a fan of used bodies, lenses I will buy and have brought used lenses.

If you want a lighter camera the 500D is not that heavy compare to the 40D. The 40D has a faster frame rate. But the 500D has better low light performance 12800 vs 3200. I would go with the 500D over the 40D it is worth the money, and if video is not a concern the 500D will perform just as well as the 550D and cost less.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:45 PM   #3

You probably won't get a warranty on a "used" camera body, and if you can't then it doesn't make sense to worry about it. And don't accept a guarantee instead. If it fails, you'll want it fixed, not get your money back.

But the two cameras you're talking about are physically very different. If you don't like how one of them feels, that's enough reason all by itself to buy the other one. Have you tried them both?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:50 PM   #4

I have tried a 500d and really liked it I also tried a 1000d and not having the rubber grip put me off! Im starting to think the 500d is the logical choice and by the time I will be buying it (Mayish) it will be much cheaper im expecting it to be the replacement for the 1000d (I hope otherwise I will have to get the 550d!) I haven't tried the 40d though, I must!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:57 PM   #5

I dont think the 500D will drop that much in price till the summer, as it had a huge rebate over the holidays, but is back to about 700 dollars. In May you will be paying msrp for the 550D since it is brand new.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:42 PM   #6

But what about getting the 40d and using the savings for more kit? Will this not be a better option than a better camera in the long run?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonc View Post
But what about getting the 40d and using the savings for more kit? Will this not be a better option than a better camera in the long run?
Personally I would not get a used body. To much can go wrong with it and may cost more in the long run if you need to get it fixed out of pocket.

Since you are in the EU, you get a 2 year warranty form canon for a new camera. Something breaks, canon will fix it free of charge for 2 years. Not sure you have that option with a used item.

I would get a new body and buy used lenses instead.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:54 PM   #8

Fair dos I see what you mean A 500d should be coming this way soon Will the speedlight 270 ex compliment the camera nicely?

Thanks for all your help!

Chris
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:56 PM   #9

It would be fine, if you are not looking for bounce and want a compact flash. It is actually a decent direct flash. If you want a bounce flash you can find a older speed light 430EX pretty cheap on ebay or in the used department of camera shops. But it is a bit larger then the 270ex.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:59 PM   #10

Great ok, I will se about a 430 ex closer to the time (depending on the money side of things!)

Thanks for all you help!
Chris