Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:41 AM   #1

Default First Camera

Hi, there. I am a new member here and would like to start off with a simple question of what recommendations there are for a price range of up to $200 and little extra if the camera is worth it.

I plan to take both indoor and outdoor pictures, but mostly outdoor pictures of people and landscape. I want something that has decent photo quality in any situation seeing as I may be quite random at times. Also, it has to be sturdy since I am accident prone and may drop from time to time. I could almost careless about the video recording seeing as I am looking for a camera, not a camcorder, but it wouldn't be a bad little extra, either. Lastly, I would like to be able to play around with the camera and not always have to rely on the Automatic settings.

Any kind of help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
cyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:04 AM   #2

cyang-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

In the under $(US)200.00 market niche there are few cameras:

Kodak C-180:Powered by 2 AA batteries, this 3X optical zoom only has fair to good outdoor image quality. Indoor image quality suffers to a certain degree due to a weaker built-in flash unit. No wide angle and the C-180 takes standard video. Price around $(US) 70.00.

Canon A-2000
:Powered by 2 AA batteries, this 10mp camera offers 6X optical zoom. The camera is capable of very good in door and outdoor images in good light. The A-200 has a good built-in flash unit. The A-2000 does not have a wide angle position on its zoom range. It also has a standard video. Selling price around $(US) 160.00.

Canon SX-120: Powered by 2 AA batteries, this 10mp camera offers 10X optical zoom. The camera is capable of very good image quality indoors and outdoors, having a good built-in flash unit. The SX-120 does not have a wide angle position on its zoom range, and the SX-120 shoots standard video. Selling price around $(US) 199.00

Samsung SL-420:Powered by a proprietary lithium ion battery, this camera 12 mp camera offers 5X optical zoom. The SL-420 is capable of fair to good image quality indoors and outdoors, but the built-in flash unit is only average. The Sl-420 does not have a wide angle position in it zoom range, and shoots standard video. Price around $(US)110.00.

Sony H-20: Powered by a lithium ion battery, this 8 mp camera offers 10X optical zoom. The H-20 is capable of very good indoor and outdoor image quality. The H-20 has the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom class. The H-20 does not have a wide angle position on its zoom range, and it does shoot HD video, and you can zoom while filming. Price around $(US) 240.00.

Panasonic ZS-1:Powered by a lithium ion proprietary battery, this camera offers 12X optical zoom with an excellent 25mm wide angle lens. The ZS-1 is capable of excellent outdoor image quality. The indoor image quality of the ZS-1 camera is only fair due to the camera's very tiny and weak built-in flash unit. To bring that indoor image quality back to a good level, an an appropriately powerful accessory slave flash unit would be required which would add expense. The camera has a standard video and you can zoom while filming. Price around $(US) 210.00.

Panasonic ZS-3:Powered by a lithium ion proprietary battery, this camera offers 12X optical zoom with an excellent 25mm wide angle lens. The ZS-3 is capable of excellent outdoor image quality. The indoor image quality of the ZS-1 camera is only fair due to the camera's very tiny and weak built-in flash unit. To bring that indoor image quality back to a good level, an an appropriately powerful accessory slave flash unit would be required which would add expense. The camera takes high rated HD video and you can zoom while filming. Price around $(US) 240.00.

Sony H-55: This newly introduced compact flash camera is scheduled to reach dealer shelves in late April 2010. It is powered by a proprietary lithium ion battery. This 14mp camera has 10X optical zoom. It is expected to have very good outdoor image quality and good indoor image quality. The camera has an excellent 25mm wide angle on it zoom range and an average built-in flash unit. The H-55 will shoot HD video and you will be able to zoom while filming. Price around $(US) 250.00.

Insursance: In view of your declared proclivities to being accident prone, I would be positively sure to use a wrist strap on an y camera employed and I would obtain accident insurance for the camera. A number of of warranty providers, such as Square Trade Warranty do provide an optional accidental insurance coverage, in addition to standard warranty coverage.

Have a good weekend.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 20, 2010 at 5:56 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:46 PM   #3

Default mtclimber

Thanks for the recommendations. I have looked through them and done my own research. So far, I am more partial to the Canon A-2000 and the Canon SX-120 due to them being powered by AA batteries. Between those two I feel that the SX-120 has is better overall, but for the price the A-2000 is worth a second look.

Another question I have is there any other cameras that are powered by AA-batteries other than Canon?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:55 PM   #4

Default Digital Cameras Under $(US) 200.00

cyang-

Yes, there are cameras that use 4 AA batteries, such as the Canon SX-20, the Kodak Z980, and the Pentax Kx, but those cameras are well past your price range. Please keep in mind that any camera using just two AA batteries will gradually get slower and slower as the batteries are depleted. This is particularly noticeable as the shot to shot times are extended due to re-charging the built-in flash unit.

Your reduced list of the Canon A-2000 and the Canon SX-120 is a good one. Both cameras offer a lot of value for the price. I have attached a SX-120 photo sample.

I found one more camera to add to the list.

Kodak C-180:Powered by 2 AA batteries, this 3X optical zoom only has fair to good outdoor image quality. Indoor image quality suffers to a certain degree due to a weaker built-in flash unit. No wide angle and the C-180 takes standard video. Price around $(US) 70.00.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 20, 2010 at 6:04 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:44 AM   #5

Well, I am still deliberating between the two Canon cameras-A2000 and SX120. They both have bang for the buck, and have similar features. Any hair splitting details between the two that can help me make my decision besides the obvious such as the price?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:43 AM   #6

cyang-

The SX-120 provides 10X optical zoom and is physically smaller, bith of which might work to your advantage.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:36 PM   #7

I have decided on the Canon SX120 after much debate. Both cameras have similar features, but the SX120 meets my need closer than the A2000. The best deal I found so far is a Canon SX120 at Sears for 179.99 w/o tax that comes with a two cases, cleaning kit, and a tripod.

Thank You for all your help.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:21 PM   #8

cyang-

Congratulations! You found yourself a great deal. We pleased that we were able to assist. Enjoy your new camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:48 PM   #9
Super Moderator

yes, that is a nice deal. Enjoy!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote