Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
... It's largest aperture is 2.8, (which ain't bad, but it's three stops less than 1.4). ...
Actually, that's 2 stops.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:32 PM   #12

Dave-

You make a good point. How would you compare the DP1 to the DP2? Was the DP2 that big of an improvement? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Dave-

You make a good point. How would you compare the DP1 to the DP2? Was the DP2 that big of an improvement? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sarah Joyce
Both are four meg cameras...

But directly comparing Bayer and Foveon is a losing proposition. Apples and Oranges. It would be just as fair to say that the DP2 is a 14 meg camera.

Interestingly enough, with the RAW converter I save the images out as 5200, instead of the "native" 2600. I see no degradation of the image.

The DP1 has both a wider angle and a slower speed lens. It's latest incarnation matches the DP2 in processing. But both cameras have a long lag time Except in manual focus mode, when essentially there is no lag time.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Actually, that's 2 stops.
Thanks for the correction. One would have to go down to f 1 to be three stops...

Nevertheless, I have to admit that two stops can be a lot, which was the point of my qualifier. Even so, even so, the DP2 has a fairly fast lens, and it's quality matches most prime lenses out there.

Dave
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:00 PM   #15

Thanks, Dave-

I can certainly see why it is a unique camera. It is the camera that you have with you when you see the photo, that really really makes the difference. And you, Dave have made the DP2 camera to work for you very well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:42 PM   #16

Default dSLR x Prosumer

Hello people,

I'm impressed with the speed of responses and specially with the quality of the replies. Thank you!

Reading the replies it's clear that there will not be a unique solution, as each camera is best in it's arena. The ideal world would be have both - like a lower cost prosumer (the FZ35 and the P90 have good prices), AND a SLR not so expensive, with only a basic lens (28-55mm). But I'm still trying to avoid this, not only for the higher cost, but because it seems excessive.

For a single camera an option is a SLR with a good wide-angle and light lens, and a not so expensive wide-zoom to play - I noticed there are some "not so long" 28-300mm lens (and not so expensive alternative brands for these). But of course it will still be bigger than the prosumer.

About the suggestions, I was impressed with the suggested Pentax K-X, Shoturtle said to be the best for lo-light. It also has video and live view preview! But I will study the other topics here, than open some specific threads to ask opinions about SLRs, Prosumers and other subject.

Great photos folks - very good work (by the photographer and by the cameras!).

Thanks and regards.

Marcelo.
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:53 PM   #17

I shoot the K-x along with my 500D, both are great for low light, but I will say the edge does go to the K-x with the slightly larger sensor.

With the DSLR, all the kit lens come with a 18-55 with crop aps-c bodies, if you factor in the crop factor of 1.5 for the pentax and 1.6 for the canons. So they are all about 28mm when you translate it to full frame or Film equivalent. With a olympus it is a factor of 2x so their 14mm is 28mm with the crop factor.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:40 PM   #18

Hi Shoturtle,

I just posted a topic about this crop problem, in the General Q&A section.

I understand the crop factor, and it's clear about the usually provided 18-55mm that becomes 28-80mm eq. But if I buy a lens designated to dSLR that claims to be 28-300mm, is it already converted (35mm equivalent), or I must to multiply and I'll get a 42-450mm in practice? (the lens do not says in specs that this zoom is "35mm equivalent")

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/389312-REG/Sigma_795109_28_300mm_f_3_5_6_3_DG_Macro.html
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:54 PM   #19

All slr and dslr lenses give you the range with 35mm equivalent. So if you go with a crop body, you will have to do the conversion.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
All slr and dslr lenses give you the range with 35mm equivalent. So if you go with a crop body, you will have to do the conversion.
Nikon makes special lenses to match their camera that have a crop. With those lenses the focal lenth is as stated. For all I know, others do so as well...

However, saying the above, lens for lens you will get a better picture with a normal lens since the edges of the lens (where most of the problems with a lens lies) are actually being cropped out. When I look in the viewfinder of an SLR, I am looking at what the camera will actually record - So while an interesting technical discussion - It means nothing in terms of the quality of your image.

Dave