Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:35 PM   #21

Dave,

With the nikon dslr with the 18-55mm you need to get the 35mm eq also. This is from the nikon site.

The Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX Lens is an ultra compact, lightweight standard zoom lens that has a 3x focal zoom range and is ideally suited for use with compact Nikon digital SLR cameras that feature the smaller DX sized chip. This lens offers the most basic zoom range in the DX lens series, an equivalent focal length in 35mm terms of 27-82.5mm. It will conveniently cover everything from tight indoor portraits to standard snap shots.

It is the same with the canon and pentax. They are both 18-55mm but to get the 35mm eq if you come from a 35mm back ground you need to do the conversion.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 21, 2010 at 6:37 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Dave,

With the nikon dslr with the 18-55mm you need to get the 35mm eq also. This is from the nikon site.

The Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX Lens is an ultra compact, lightweight standard zoom lens that has a 3x focal zoom range and is ideally suited for use with compact Nikon digital SLR cameras that feature the smaller DX sized chip. This lens offers the most basic zoom range in the DX lens series, an equivalent focal length in 35mm terms of 27-82.5mm. It will conveniently cover everything from tight indoor portraits to standard snap shots.

It is the same with the canon and pentax. They are both 18-55mm but to get the 35mm eq if you come from a 35mm back ground you need to do the conversion.
Can you give me the link?

Searching the Nikon site I find that with some of their newer machines that have FF sensors, you CAN use the DX lens - The camera interlinks with the lens, and literally turns off the outer parts of the sensor, converting it defacto into a DX camera. However, if used with a DX camera, the lens matches the rating, and there is no cropping factor.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:56 PM   #23

I will see if I can find it again, it was buried in multiple links.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:02 PM   #24

But since the pixel pitch of Nikon's FF dSLRs is lower than the pixel pitch of their APS-C dSLRs, the resoulution of a photo shot on a FF dSLR with a DX lens attached will be less than the resolution of a photo shot on an APS-C dSLR with the same lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:04 PM   #25

Dave here you go, it is from the nikon international site.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...ed_2/index.htm
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:33 PM   #26

Thanks again. I placed a reply about this question related to the crop in the other thread (Q&A).

But with the bad news about the 28-300mm, now I need a 18-200 instead, to get the desired 28-300 effect. And I found - both Sigma and Tamron have this lens. In the Sigma page in B&H site there is the information about the 35mm equivalence, making things clear.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:43 PM   #27

Default Returning to the original debate

About the options, it seems a good option to the "Prosumer" P90 (or similar) is the dSLR Pentax K-X (due good results in lo light) with it's original 18-55mm (27-80mm eq) for lo light use, AND an extra lens like Sigma or Tamrac 18-200mm (27-300mm eq) to play. These lenses are not so big as I expected (around 3 inches), as they are "DC" models...

I think that the original 18-55 probably is more clearer, as wide zooms usualy pays a price for their long range, so it's rasonable keep both lenses to the 2 uses I intend...

PS: I noticed there are also 18-250mm lenses, that may provide 27-375mm eq! (less than 600mm from F90, but certainly fun)
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:46 PM   #28

The p90 will not be good in low light, there is allot of info on steve's about the poor low light performance of the p90. Also the larger dslr sensor will give you better imagine quality over the biggest CCD sensor. And it is a world of difference in low light.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 21, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Dave here you go, it is from the nikon international site.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...ed_2/index.htm
Quote:
Offers the popular focal range of 18-55mm (picture angle equivalent to a 27-82.5mm lens in the 35mm format) for use in a variety of situations
Note the qualifier.

No, the DX series was specifically designed to "correct" for the cropping factor when used with a 1.5 crop camera. To cover themselves, their newer FF sensors simply turn off the outer edge of the sensor, and the lens will now have the same cropping effect as a normal lens.

Their not to clear in their writing - probably DELIBERATELY not to clear, but on a different lens, it's easier to understand...

Quote:
DX-format, ultra wide-angle 2.4x zoom lens with focal length ranging from 10 to 24mm (picture angle is equivalent to a focal length of 15 to 36mm in FX- and 35mm formats)
Nikon | Imaging Products | AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED

Dave
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloRSC View Post
Thanks again. I placed a reply about this question related to the crop in the other thread (Q&A).

But with the bad news about the 28-300mm, now I need a 18-200 instead, to get the desired 28-300 effect. And I found - both Sigma and Tamron have this lens. In the Sigma page in B&H site there is the information about the 35mm equivalence, making things clear.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications
You have to understand that the cropping factor, in a DSLR, does NOT actually increase the "reach" of the lens. It simulates increased reach by cropping the image. But if you Need the resolving power of 300mm, you're not going to get it merely by cropping the image.

The cropping factor works in a different manner with those little digicams. Some of them are actually mini-telephoto lenses.

Dave