Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:45 PM   #51

A short history...

My father was a photographer, also an enthusiast. In the 50's, when he was around 20 yo, he used to travel around taking pictures, and going on competitions, etc... Of course on those times the work was complete - take pictures, develop the film, and make the prints in the dark room by himself...

So in the conquests there ware people with the top equipments of those times, and some with the most basic available. An most comonly the ones that won the prizes ware the basics...

It's because replace talent with bucks does not work. Creativity, talent, study and hard work (specially in the lab) ware mandatory!

Of course I'm not telling that we may disconsider FACTS like ISO, aperture, distortion, NOISE... Better cameras will solve problems, but a higher camera will not grant best results for sure (most people would not know what to do with a D3S on hands) - or even IT CAN give better results, but maybe this difference cannot be noticed...

Thats why my goal is to fing a dSLR to return to this more enthusiastic world, being able to get good results, with an equilibrated set of features. If finding a GOOD reason I'll consider any model!

But please don't be shy - NEW suggestions will be accepted - and I'll analyze specs and reviews of all of them!
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:55 PM   #52

The tilt screen with the low res, for me was not as important. As I really find using the view finder better for my photo needs. The tilt screen is nice, but for live view shooting it is not a great performer. If live view is a big thing for you. The sony would be a way better choice with dslr's. As they lead there hands down.

When I looked that the tilt screen originally, I thought it would be a feature I would used. But form my shoot experience, I realized it is just not something I would use. I am looking at a evil camera. And I am getting the evf, rather then composing on a lcd. Also unlike a point and shoot and smaller bridge camera. Composing on a lcd is a bit harder, as the dslr is a bit heavier. And it makes using the lcd more awkward. To me a tilt screen would make make it a deal breaker. Just an additional feature. That is why most high end camera has fix lcd with higher resolution. Checking the shots afterward in better details is more important then a consumer grade screen with the bells a whistles.

The video factor, the T1i and T2i leads all of them as it shots in full HD at 1080 vs only 720 with the nikon and pentax.

Honestly, the higher end camera is not worth the money unless you really need a faster frame speed of a canon 50D, 7D or nikon d300. Nice to have but they are bigger camera. But if you shoot sports allot, the faster fps is worth the money, it greatly increase your change of that perfect moment.

When my brother was looking for a dslr, and since price was more of a concern. And he does allot of low light shooting. The 12800iso with the kit lens of 3.5 at it's max, gave better results then 6400iso at 3.5. It actually makes a huge difference. He was interested in the d5000, but with his needs. It was the wrong camera for him. He does allot of indoors dancing shots at clubs. Very low light saturation. So when he got the k-x, and I shot it next to my t1i. I can honestly say that the k-x is less noise at 12800iso.

The D90 is an excellent camera, an it is better then the K-x and T1i when it comes to features. No dispute about that. It has nicer features. Like a bit faster fps. But imagine IQ is about the same as the T1i and the K-x.

Even though it was pointed out that there are about 135 lens out there for the d5000. There may be that one lens you want to will not AF on the D5000. So if you go with a nikon solution, the D90 would be the much better choice.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:57 PM   #53

Also you are talking about high end entry level dslr. They perform so close to the prosumer level. That the line between them are very blurred. Especially with the likes of the T1i and T2i.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:37 PM   #54

Also do not rule out the new sony A550, it has allot of the feature you want, and has the best live view. If you are bumping up you budget on the body.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:11 AM   #55

Is there any option around Sony A550 or a bit above but with titling LCD display?
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:41 AM   #56

Not really all the semi pro and up cameras have very high res flat screens. The A550 is currently the only prosumer level that has a tilt.