Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:08 PM   #1

Default I was ready to buy but then.....

Hi,
i have been saving for some time to get a super zoom type camera, i looked at FZ38/35, SX1, 200EXR & finally the Sony HX1 which i thought suited my needs, i work in the French Alps with cyclists in the summer so the panorama & fast burst modes i thought would be quite suited for the job (not bothered about indoor performance at all) & do the mountains & cyclists more justice than my dear old Konica-Minolta Dimage x1.

Then came the mistake of looking to see what new releases were heading our way!!!
i saw the new Fuji HS10, a rumour of a HX2 later and now i have the obvious question of do i wait or do i buy????!!!! i should point out i have been saving since last September & i am ready for my new toy!

Also while i am at it does anyone think i should be looking at something other than The Sony? it does seem to get mixed reviews.
For the price & pic quality the FZ38/35 seems to be the bench mark in this category & i do find myself looking again & again at this.

All and any thoughts are welcome.

Ed.

Last edited by ed.g; Feb 22, 2010 at 6:20 PM. Reason: forgot a line!
ed.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:14 PM   #2

edg.

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The HX-1 came out in the early summer of 2009, So I would not be looking for a Sony HX-2 until after May 210.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:42 AM   #3

Default fz38/35 & hx1

hi again!

Thanks for the HX2 info, i thought maybe they would bring it a little closer to the fuji release.

So since my last post i have realised that the FZ38/35 has a burst mode has anyone used this? & how does it compere to the hx1 in burst mode i think the FZ can also do a burst of 10 at 3mp? & a few other options i am curious about this mode due to me working with cyclists all the time (bearing in mind most of my pics are taken in the mountains when they are going up hill so their speeds are reduced) i am just looking for a cam to give me a chance of a half decent pic!!!

Has any one used both the HX1 & FZ38/35? drop us a line if you have PLEASE!!!

Ed.g

Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:09 AM   #4

I had the FZ28 and have handled the FZ35, its successor, in a camera shop. The FZ28 has a fast burst mode at reduced resolution. It had two settings, one which was slightly slower but with better picture quality and the other, which was faster, but with lesser picture quality. I think it was 3 megapixels. The image quality was better than that of similar pictures taken with an Olympus SP-560. You can make a 4" X 6" picture from them. The FZ28 also has a burst mode of about 4 frames in just about a second. Then you have to take a break. The image quality of those shots is pretty good. I have had the Casio FH20 for about 4 months. It is a monster at burst mode. Its 7 megapixel burst mode picture quality is much better. However, it's nowhere near as good as the FZ28 in less than ideal lighting. ISO 100 and 200, pretty good. ISO 400 so so. ISO 800, not good. I haven't used the Sony. I think the FZ35 would be pretty good for your purposes. It focuses fast and takes pretty good pictures in a variety of settings.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:32 AM   #5

I agree 100% with robbo's suggestion-

Here in the United States the FZ-35 is at its lowest price and it offer a great features package. I have used super zooms for years and without a doubt, the FZ-35 is tops.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:39 AM   #6

Thanks Sarah/Robbo,
i now have a shiney new FZ38 on order
i should get a good chance to use it in Spain next week at our winter training camp.
Sorry for yet more novice questions but i have read it is worth getting a 46mm uv filter to protect the lense? is this a good idea they are not expensive i just dont want to end up with a load of junk in the bag!
and i keep seeing class 6,8,10 next to memory cards which level would be appropriate class for this type of camera??? (10 would be top end dslr right?)

Again thanks for the info, this is really a great forum for those like me who know NOTHING!!!

Ed.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:20 AM   #7

Hi Ed

As far as I can remember, Panasonic recommend Class 6 cards (or better) with a transfer rate of 10Mb/s or faster..... you'll need this if you want to get the best performance when shooting HD video, and it will help with burst mode too.

Whilst I no longer have my FZ38, I purchase a 16Gb Class 6 'Integral' card to go with it at the time (which came with a very useful free SDHC reader), and had no problems with it. Good value at around 30 too. If shooting video, 16Gb storage would be useful, however 4Gb/8Gb would be perfectly sufficient if you're predominantly shooting stills.

I would argue that a spare battery would be more useful than a UV filter, but it's entirely up to you. At the end of the day, a UV filter is a semi-permanent addition, in that once you've fitted it, you don't need to ever take it off, and it stays on when the camera is off and the lens cap on (so it's not really going to clutter up your bag!).

The FZ38 wasn't for me sadly, but it is a little beauty nonetheless - enjoy it!!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:30 AM   #8

Ed-

Congratulations on your new Panasonic FZ-38. The use of an UV filter is optional. However I do keep one on my FZ-35 as a bit of insurance. I would much rather loose the UV filter asnd prevent lens damage.

Class 6 SD cards will handle the chores quite nicely on the FZ-38. Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy your new camera. We have a very active FZ-35/38 group in our Panasonic P+S folder and we share photos, tips, and techniques, unique to the FZ-35/38.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce