Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:16 PM   #1

Default shopping...

Hello All,

Was given this site by a friend. LOVE it!

I am looking for a new camera and am doing research. This site has answered some questions and generated more. Not necessarily a bad thing...

I have owned 2 Canon P&S cameras and have been very happy with both of them. The current one is a SX110 IS.

I am looking to upgrade/update. A photographer friend suggested a Canon Xsi. He says I ''have the eye" and would be amazed what an upgrade would do for my photos.

I have never owned a dslr. How user/dummy friendly is this one? Am also wondering if maybe just a new P&S is all I need....?

I really love clickin pics. Take alot of nature shots. Macro and as much zoom as my current camera allows. We live on a lake and have amazing sunsets.

Price is a consideration but would like to have a good, versatile setup that could be expanded as my knowledge/experience expands. (if I get a dslr)

Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and consideration.
jacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2

jacy-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Please keep in mind that while a DSLR is a great instrument, it is physically large and needs multiple lenses, even a separate one for macros. While a Canon XSi is inexpensive to get started at just under $(US) 600.00, that is just the beginning of the expenses.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Super Moderator

it kind of depends on your willingness to learn.

there is a learning curve involved with purchasing a DSLR. they will function pretty good in automatic mode, but really in order to get the most out of your dslr you need to familiarize yourself with basic photography, such as depth of field and its relationship with distance and aperture, some basic post processing, just to name a few.

if you have the desire to learn at least the basics of such things, then by all means a dslr will allow you to further your creative intentions with photography.

there are many good entry level cameras on the market today, and if you decide to go down that road, we would be more than happy to help in making that decision.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:32 PM   #4

If you are willing to learn Steve's knowledge center has allot of info on learning about dslr shoot. And you can also check out www.dslrtips.com. They have youtube video workshops that can be helpful. It you spend the time to learn how to use a dslr, no bridge or point and shoot camera can match a dslr in imagine quality.

If you are not looking to jump in to it heavy right off the bat with the XSi, which is an excellent camera by the way. You can get the lens kit, and add a ef 50mm 2.5 macro lens. It would be a very good start and give you a very good macro lens for hand held macro work.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 21, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:46 PM   #5

could save up a tad more and get a t1i, should have a price drop soon as the t2i is coming out.
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:49 PM   #6

I doubt the T1i will drop, it looks like it will remain around 730 for the one lens kit as the t2i will be around 900. And since it is not getting replace it will be running along side with the t2i, you may see a discount on the xsi and xs. And actually the XS has a instant rebate on it now. Think it will get discontinue soon.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:24 PM   #7
Super Moderator

and if you see a big reduction in the XSi price, it is still a fabulous camera. that 12mp imager in it is one of canon's best. it lacks the iso 3200 of the t1i/t2i, but within the shared ranges, it delivers just as much detail.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote