Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Default Sold TZ7...need advice on new camera

hi guys,

I'm from the UK. I recently sold my panasonic TZ7 which i had high hopes for, but it turned out to have a lot of issues, such as the WB being too yellowish and shots were many times fuzzy/blurry. Before someone says, i tried everything, such as adjusting exposure, iso settings etc, so in the end i gave up and sold it.

Now I need ur advice as I read a lot of reviews about different cameras, but i'm limited with the budget and the place where i can buy the camera from. I can only buy from: www.argos.co.uk as i have a 100 in gift vouchers which i can use at this store, so i'm setting my total limit to 400.

Now FYI, I like the following cameras:-

Panasonic FZ38 - A superb Super-Zoom camera, but from reviews the indoor light WB is very yellowish

Canon EOS 1000D - Great DSLR camera, but there is no video option

Nikon D3000 - Great DSLR camera, but right at the top-end of budget and no video option

Fujifilm S200EXR - A superb Super-Zoom camera, From reviews WB seems perfect, but top-end of budget and basic video option.

Fujifilm S2000HD or S2500HD - A low-budget Super-Zoom camera, From reviews WB seems perfect, but its got HD video too. Although i could not find any S2500HD reviews.

FYI, I'm looking for a camera that takes good pictures, in fluorescent/yellow light or low indoor light. Zoom isn't important, although i would like to have a video option. A friend said that if i'm not after any zoom, i can get away with cheaper compact cameras, but they seem to have quality issues and can't compare with super zoom or the dslr quality.

I would be greatful if anyone could advice as i'm going crazy reading all these reviews and not buying the cameras.

Last edited by amateurman; Feb 22, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
amateurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:54 PM   #2

amateurman-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

There is a lot positive things about the Panasonic FZ-38 that dovetail nicely with your desires. Not only can the FZ-38 set a manual or custom exposure, but you can also adjust WB as well. Yes, it is a small imager, super zoom, but it can operate quite nicely at ISO 800 without problems. The FZ-38 also provides a lot of zoom that would otherwise be expensive to purchase in a DSLR camera. The FZ-38 has a great macro mode and can do HD videos and you can zoom while filming. In short the FZ-38 is a very good all around camera.

Eliminate the two low cost Fuji super zoom cameras. They have not received good reviews, and their cost to value ratio is low.

The Fuji S-200 EXR is a good camera, but one that you simply cannot use in the automatic mode, as the image quality takes a nose dive. The EXR system is complex, and you have to be willing to make many small adjustments to take advantage of the high ISO capability of the EXR system.

The Canon XS and the Nikon D-3000 are a very good starter DSLR cameras. A DSLR and its much larger imager (12 to 15 times larger than the P+S cameras) gives you the ability to use high ISO settings without noise and noise reduction firmware being a problem. While DSLR image quality is measurably better, particularly in your high ISO shots, the lenses required for long zoom are also measurably more expensive and physically larger. So there are indeed some trade-offs.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:10 PM   #3

well thank u very much for welcoming me Sarah and giving me such a breakdown.

I personally have big reservations about the FZ-38. The reason is that I ended up hating and sell the TZ7 at a huge loss, due to its poor quality indoors shots where the subject was overexposed and background was dark. After adjusting many settings, i didn't like what the quality i got. I have heard the FZ-38 is almost identical to the TZ7 with the exception of the zoom...if this is true, then i'd rather avoid it.

If you look at the FZ-38 review and look at the "white wall images", you'll realise they look very yellowish:- http://www.photographyblog.com/revie.../image_quality

Now if you look at the Fuji S-200EXR's "white wall images" you see the images look very white compared to the FZ38:-
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie.../image_quality

Now i have some IMPORTANT/GOOD news...i have decided to totally forget buying from the mentioned store, so really i can go for any camera, upto maximum 400 cash(even if it means buying 2nd hand off ebay!!!...so if you can give me some good DSLR camera names which have the following:-

GREAT INDOOR/OUTDOOR PHOTO QUALITY - i tend to like the nikons due to their strong/vibrant colours, but by all means give me any recommended ones.

WOULD LIKE VIDEO, PREFERABLY HD - but i may accept standard video if the camera is exceptional

I think for now those are the main things i need.

Last edited by amateurman; Feb 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:08 PM   #4

amateurman-

While I respect Photography Blog, as a long time user of the FZ-35/38 that surely does not reflect the image quality/WB experience that I have. The FZ-38 is most certainly not an inflated TZ-7/ZS-3 camera. The problem that you experienced with the TZ-7 is a direct result of the very small, and very weak built-in flash installed on the TZ-7/ZS-3 camera that cripples the indoor image quality. Not only doe the FZ-35/38 has a built-in flash unit that provides 200 to 300% more available lighting, but it also has a custom WB balance adjustment that is very easy to use as well. We have a very active group of FZ-35/38 users in our Panasonic P+S folder. You might drop by that folder and check out the photo results.

Regarding DSLR cameras: HD video is not available in the cheapest of the entry level DSLR cameras. In the Nikon line of DSLR cameras the first camera to have a video capability is the D-5000. In the Pentax Line, the first DSLR camera is the Kx model. In the Canon line, the first DSLR camera is the T-1. That therefore, increases the price of the DSLR camera. The only exception is the Pentax KX, which here is the USA is now at the average entry level DSLR price range.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:15 PM   #5

If video is a must and with your budget. The FZ38 would be a good option. As both the dslr you listed have no video option. If you were to fore go the video, and wanted the best imagine quality I would go with the 1000D over the D5000. You get more lens options if you do decide to move up in the future.

As Sarah said, the pentax k-x would be the only dslr with video that would not be as steep of a price hike to add that feature. And it is also an excellent dslr with great low light ability.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:21 PM   #6

thank u sarah and shoturtel. I'm just nervous, as you can imagine, i spent 350 4 months ago and had to flog it on ebay for 180 a week ago and after ebay deductions, i only got 160!

On the TZ7 people were telling me turn the flash off, increase exposure etc...i didn't have to do this with my sony n1 and the TZ7 images came out very poor indoors...would you know of any complaints with the FZ-38? i.e. indoor shots being poor/yellowish or blur/double edge effects etc? anything at all?

I'm wondering, being an amateur, if i went with the FZ38 will I have to fiddle with loads of settings each time just to get an average shot?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:29 PM   #7

The FZ is a megazoom bridge camera. There is a full auto options just point and shoot. But it will allow you to do more with the manual setting it has. And if you do spend the time learn how to use the manual options you will get better results the the full auto.

With the WB issue. Auto WB is not that good for indoor shot with all camera including dslr. You will want to pick the type of lighting you are in to get better results and avoid the yellowish tone. With a dslr, you get the option to do a custom white balance where you tell the camera what is actually white. This is the best way to insure the proper white balance. I think some bridge cameras has this ability.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:30 PM   #8

thank shoturtle...i thought sarah said that the FZ38 does have the ability to WB?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:37 PM   #9

I would go with what sarah said as she shoots one.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:09 PM   #10

See page 134 of the following pdf (large file -- approx 15mb).

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...MCFZ35-ADV.PDF
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote