Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: DSLR or Super Zoom
DSLR 0 0%
Nikon Coolpix P100 1 33.33%
Canon PowerShot SX20IS 1 33.33%
Fujifilm FinePix HS10 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:49 PM   #11

BTW: Are there any downsides to a camera which uses AA batteries?

The Canon SX20IS and FinePix HS10, both use AAs, which is great for convenience, but I read somewhere that the rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries that are required on other cameras are better for quick startup and other operations.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if weight is of concern, and movie is of concern. and you were happy for the most part with your 5700, i think a newer superzoom would be an easy recommendation.

i like the FZ-35 that Sarah mentioned, good lens, good video, small size. but the Canon SX20IS you mention in your earlier post is a comparable choice, albeit a bit larger and uses AA batteries.
The only -ve I see for the Canon and Panasonic is that they both record 720p, unlike the Nikon and Fuji which record 1080p video.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:19 PM   #13

2raj-

4 AA size batteries add to the camera weight and physical size. AA batteries do not hold their charge as long and they are not as dependable and long lasting as lithium ion batteries. For those reasons I personally prefer lithium ion batteries.

You mentioned that you were interested in high ISO settings. The FZ-35 can perform much better than the SX-20 at high ISO settings. I own the SX-10 as well as the FZ-35. Clearly the FZ-35/38 is the better performer.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:41 PM   #14

Anyone have experience with the Fuji super-zooms that have manual zoom control?

I like the idea of a manual zoom, similar to an SLR, but haven't read about real world experience with it.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:44 PM   #15

Sarah - Yes that's what I was afraid of with AAs that they don't hold the charge as long as Lithium Ions. Also that the AAs weigh more.

I like the specs on that FZ-35, all except that it only records 720p video which my Canon SD780i is already capable of.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:36 PM   #16

2raj-

Because I also own a Canon SD-780 and the Panasonic FZ-35, I can tell you that the FZ-35 does a heck of lot more than the SD-780 can ever think of doing. You are comparing apples to bananas. I think you are getting bogged down in fine details all of which are paper details.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:21 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raj View Post
Anyone have experience with the Fuji super-zooms that have manual zoom control?

I like the idea of a manual zoom, similar to an SLR, but haven't read about real world experience with it.

not much is known about the Fuji HS10 at this point. its presumed to have the Sony backlite exemor sensor (similar to the wx/tx series) but with fuji's image processing, and many presume to be a tamron lens.

the sensor in its latest incarnation of the tx7 looks good at least with sony's processing. nothing is known about how it works in the fuji yet, nor much is known about the 30x zoom lens.

it looks to be a nice package if it works, offering a wealth of external controls and mini-slr like handling. but its possible that is being overambitious.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:29 PM   #18

IMO, no one does bridge cameras quite as well as Fuji.I had an S9100 for a couple of years and really enjoyed it. It was well made, had an excellent lens and it was a joy to handle. Because of the smaller sensors these cameras use, IQ won't compare even to my bottom-rung Sony DSLR A200, but that's not saying they can't take good pictures - quite the opposite. Bridge cameras like the S9100 and the new HS10 can produce very good results. If portability and the convenience of not having to change lenses is more important than ultimate IQ, and if my experience with the S9100 is any indication, for what it is the HS10 should be an amazing piece of equipment. If Fuji has improved the EVF and manual focusing system to make them more DSLR-like, I might consider one myself.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:52 PM   #19

Toshi - What's your experience been like with, what looks like, manual zoom on the S9100?

The S9100 list for around $650, more than the HS10 - where does it rank compared to the S200EXR and the HS10?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:08 PM   #20

The manual zoom on the S9100 is exactly like a DSLR zoom lens. It's much faster and more accurate than any electronic zoom, and it just makes you feel more in control of what the camera's doing.

The S9100 has been out of production for a few years now. The S200EXR is it's replacement in the current line as far as I can tell. Interestingly, the HS10's MSRP on Fuji's Canadian website is $499.99 vs the S200EXR's at $599.99. Go figure.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote