Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:50 PM   #1

Default Lumix GF1 or High End P&S?

I'm in the process of replacing the Sony T500 that I lost.

I was pretty happy with that camera (HD movies, very portable etc), however always dissatisfied with the low light performance.

So what to replace it with? I've been looking at the Lumix GF1 as that appears to be a cut above even the most expensive P&S (both performance and price wise). However it isn't exactly pocketable. I do love the 20mm lens, but am I going to miss having a zoom, or can I crop to what I need?

Is there something pocketable that would do the job pretty much as well? For example I was wondering about the Sony HX5v...

I mostly take photos of the family (both indoors and out), and need HD movie capability (720p is fine). I'd like not to have to use a flash in most situations. I always find flashlit shots to be so blanched out in the FG and dark in the BG.

Any advice welcome, as there are too many options and I don't know enough about what's available!
SoulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:54 PM   #2

olympus epl1 if you want save a little over the gf1. And it is very easy for a point and shoot user to move up from. And it can use the panny lenses.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 24, 2010 at 7:09 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:04 PM   #3

I was a bit concerned with reviews saying that the AF was very slow on the Pen compared to the GF1? Also that the LCD resolution was poor. Most reviews that I've found seemed to be favouring the GF1...

Although thinking about it, was that in comparisons to the EP1? Is the EPL1 better?

Off to google.....
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:07 PM   #4

That was the EP-1, the EPL-1 just came out. And the EVF is way better then the one form the GF1. And the LCD is pretty good, I checked it out today. The big point is it is 200 less the the gf1. And the only reason the AF is slower is the lens. If you get the body or the kit zoom. And get panny lenses, the pen's would AF almost as fast as the GF1. I tried it out at the store with the EP-2 and the GF-1 side by side. And the EPL-1 has the guts of the EP-2. So it will be just as same.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 24, 2010 at 7:10 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:16 PM   #5

Hmm the price doesn't seem that much different in the UK. Both the GF1 with kit zoom and EPL1 with kit zoom are ~550. In fact the GF1 currently has a 50 rebate so works out at 500.

Not sure I'm that bothered about an EVF as well at this stage - I'm very much used to shooting at arms length (though of course that could change).

Are there any high-end compacts that offer similar low light quality?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:42 PM   #6

Not really, the FZ35 is pretty good, but not as good as the m4/3. Since the sensor is 2x the size almost.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:12 PM   #7

soulb-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

I initially decided that the Panasonic G-1 was the correct route to high ISO capability. My Goodness! Was I ever wrong. The G-1 and I would imagine, probably the GF-1 acts the same way, the top ISO where noise is not a problem is ISO 800. That was disappointing. The camera's physical size was also larger than I wanted.

After seriously considering the Canon S-90, and the Panasonic LX-3, I purchased the Canon S-90. Wow! what a wonderful change. I got the pocket sized camera that I wanted and it has a large imager and an F 2,0 lens. ISO 800 is no problem on the S-90 and you can even use ISO 1600 in a pinch. Much better.

Beside the Canon S-90 and the Panasonic LX3, Samsung has just introduced the EX-1 model with a F 1.8 lens that appears to be equally small and pocketable.

So there are indeed P+S options. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:32 AM   #8

Thanks for that Sarah. I'd looked at the S90 and EX-1 but discounted them because they didn't do HD movies

A shame because I really like the look of the Samsung....

Justin

Last edited by SoulB; Feb 25, 2010 at 2:35 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:37 AM   #9
Super Moderator

In the UK the GF-1 is a lot cheaper than any of Olympus m4/3 cameras.

The body only (including rebate) is < 400.

E-P1 is around 535.
E-P2 is around 900 (includes EVF)
E-PL1 is around 500.

All above prices include 17.5% VAT.

I'm constantly amazed at how Sony and Panasonic seem to have a huge cost advantage in Europe relative to the other manufacturers. Overall of course our prices are still a fair bit higher than in the USA.

Actually the E-P1 also includes a free flash. I think they have large stocks, and it looks pretty good value at the moment, as long as the EVF is not a priority.

Last edited by peripatetic; Feb 25, 2010 at 2:44 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:48 AM   #10

Yeah I find the prices we pay here hard to fathom at times

Looking at the LX3 that does do HD movies, so might well be an option. Also offers zoom which I wouldn't get with the 20mm pancake on the GF1.

It's also quite a bit cheaper, but that's not necessarily a good thing....