Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:56 PM   #11

Lou-

I am very pleased with the Panasonic ZR1, and the less than $200 price that I paid for it. It is a true pocket camera, with the bonus of 8X optical zoom. Any replacement is going to be measurably more expensive.

The ZR1 also has reasonable low light capabilities as well, as the attached photo show. It was taken in our local post office. Just click on the link to display the photo.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pa...47_S3ATD-L.jpg
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 2:18 AM   #12

Default How to photograph moon using ZR1

Sarah

Greetings!

I see your invaluable contribution on this forum and am benefited from your analysis and advice on Panasonic ZR1, now that I own it.

I was trying to photograph moon as it was on the horizon tonight but could not find any possible setting on my ZR1 to capture it nicely?

Would you help me figuring out the best setting to photograph moon (and such landscape objects during night) ?
mottomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 10:27 AM   #13

mottomobile-

The moon at the horizon level has a very low light level very early in the morning.It would be like taking a sky photo. Use a tripod, use Auto ISO, and use the Landscape mode. I would expect the light level to be rather low.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 27, 2010, 12:03 PM   #14

Default Photographing moon using ZR1

Thank you Sarah.

Did you mean using "Normal Picture" mode (camera icon on the dial) or using SCN mode and selecting Landscape as the desired picture type?

Since ZR1 do not have adjustable shutter priority mode, I was looking for a mode which allows the exposure to be captured with shutter open for 1-3 seconds.

I am not sure I used Auto ISO but what I am sure is I tried all the different modes and settings and all of such photo settings rendered me "Not-so-crisp" photo from camera. I did use tripod for all the photo types though.

Could it be a shortcoming of this camera?
Old May 27, 2010, 12:54 PM   #15

mottomobile-

I would use the the small red camera icon, which is essentially Programed Auto. Soot a test shot and take a good look at the result on the ZR1 LCD screen. If you photo is dark (under exposed), then roll in some plus Exposure Compensation to slow the shutter speed. I am guess you might have a rather slow shutter, that is why I suggested using a tripod.

Without a doubt what you want to do is a challenging situation, and difficult photo environment that is going to require a bit of experimentation. This is well beyond just snapping a photo on a sunny afternoon.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 27, 2010, 1:54 PM   #16

Default Photographing moon using ZR1

Sarah

I will try using the technique you described above. All my photos came out either over exposed or not so crisp even using tripod.

I understand this is challenging but then this is very frequent situation for enthusiastic who wants to capture full moon and or city skyscrappers during the night. And more so, I used to photograph these objects during night using my 2003 Canon PowerShot S50, of course with Shutter priority and using trtipod.

This should be a very common event camera should be able to capture.
I will have to experiment little more and see whether ZR1 can handle these typical images.

I will post my results tonight (hopefully the sky will remain clear to get the moon fully visible in the northwester skies) !!!
Old May 27, 2010, 3:09 PM   #17

mottomobile-

You just gave me a big clue. If indeed your photos are overexposed (too light) then you must use negative Exposure Compensation to compensate for the over exposure. Without any sample images, I was having to attempt to solve your problem from a purely theoretical point of view.

So try the negative Exposure Compensation, and I will look forward to seeing some sample photos, perhaps as early as this evening (05/27).

Sarah Joyce.
Old May 27, 2010, 6:11 PM   #18

Sarah

I sure would post the images today.
I will try to underexpose the picture by bringing the EV slider down to -1/3 or -2/3 if needed.

I am still unsure as to why those pictures were not crisp (even after using a tripod and self-timer to negate any camera shake)?
Old May 28, 2010, 1:53 AM   #19

Sarah

(this really depicts my facial expression right now)

Been out for at least 1 hour in a hope to get a glimpse of full moon only to remind myself that in this part of the country kids gets low numbers when it comes to identifying "shiniest planets".

Clouds played its part and I am still awaiting for a clear sky to crack the code for night scene photograph using ZR1.

Hang on and we shall have some pics soon.