Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You can always buy the dSLR you want, and rent the superzoom lenses you're considering. Lens Rentals has a good selection, and they are reasonably priced. If you go that route, shoot some architectural stuff and you'll see the rectilinear distortion, and shoot some high contrast stuff and you'll see the chromatic aberration. The people that sing the praises of superzoom lenses either avoid those situations or haven't bumped into them yet.

And, btw, an 18-55 lens gets to f/5.6 a lot faster than a superzoom, which will usually stay at f/5.0 until about 135mm. So a superzoom will be a little bit faster than a typical kit lens. But not by much.

that just made my day
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:02 AM   #32

This is like asking "What's the best Minivan?" None of them is very good at anything. The best you can hope for is something that's either mediocre at everything, or something that's very good for you. That's why I suggested LensRentals.com. So you can try them out.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:27 PM   #33

It's a good idea, but as I don't live in USA it will not be possible to rent. In this point I think I have the main candidates, and I expect to find all together in some store in Orlando in the end of March and decide based in the hands on test... I think D90 and D5000 are not so hard to find, but I'm worried about the lens availability - there is nothing like B&H in Orlando... So I don't know if I'll have much choice, if I'll find Nikon 18-200 or Sigma/Tamron lenses to evaluate.

As I want to put hands on before deciding, to buy via Amazon.com or B&H probably will not be the way... (and there is the problem that B&H does not send to Hotels if you want to pay via Cradit Card, usual when we are in another country)

The shops I know in Orlando are:
- Colonial
- Harmons
- Ritz

Any other suggestion to give more options?
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:42 PM   #34

Ritz is a chain store all over the east coast. If one store doesn't have it, another store will. If you don't mind the trek, you can find what you want somewhere.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:10 PM   #35

Funny that there is this camera AND the Sigma lens here in Brazil, in my city - but it cost over TWICE... That's why I'll wait to be in USA next month to buy...

During next week I'll start to contact these stores (physical) in Orlando to findout about availability.

Last edited by MarceloRSC; Feb 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloRSC View Post
BTW, where are you from? (your profile says NYC/Frankfurt)
I live on both side of the ocean, NYC and Frankfurt A.M. Germany
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:52 PM   #37

Marcelo,

If you are serious considering a one lens solution, I would go with a zoom with 250-270mm on the long side. It gives you more capability over the shorter 200mm. It would be a better jack of all trade lens.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:54 PM   #38

Hi, Its another difficult decision (besides choosing the camera). I've read about the lower quality comparing Sigma and Tamron to Nikon - even loosing some mm and paying more... Actually they all are expensive comparing to the camera price.

Well, the feedbacks says that any superzoom is not high quality, but I may try to get the best between them. The problem is to evaluate if the difference is really so significant to allow to decline some extra zoom... (and if VR are really better than it's pairs on other brands)
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:06 AM   #39

Quick question. How large to you plan to print. As some of the difference are not even noticeable if you do not print in really large prints. Or crop 100% or more. If you do not print bigger then 8x10 I doubt you would even notice the difference between a 200 and a 250-270.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:23 AM   #40

I rarely print photos. Recently I started to do photo-books fot the photos, butu usually A4 and rarely full page. So print size is not a problem.

What can happen is the possibility to CROP, considering the resolution... This will show the defects, certainly. If using the 200mm, more crop will be done to the same photo than it would happen with a 270mm... So in these cases the advantage of 200mm can be lost...