Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:46 AM   #41

You see the point I am getting at. The difference are so little between the lenses that you are really splitting hairs. What little advantage you get with a short zoom can be gone if you need to crop in.

If you are looking for a 1 lens solution a 250-270mm would be better. If you are looking for a better resell value the 200mm nikon is the better choice.

As I travel allot, I do notice that the add reach of my canon ef 70-300mm would come in handy compare to my ef-s 55-250mm lens at times as the 250 is my travel lens. And that is only 50mm. But it is actually a great deal when you move to a 70mm difference. And when you factor in the crop factor of 1.5.

With all three lenses. You will need to pixel peep to see the differences, if you are into getting super technical, and pixel peeping. You might as well go with a 2 lens solution.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 28, 2010 at 12:55 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:04 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
With all three lenses You will need to pixel peep to see the differences, if you are into getting super technical, and pixel peeping You might as well go with a 2 lens solution.
Exact!

The same thought applies to the choose beteween 1 or 2 lenses solutions, or the choose for the camera itself...

Quote:
The difference are so little between the lenses that you are really splitting hairs
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloRSC View Post
Exact!

The same thought applies to the choose beteween 1 or 2 lenses solutions, ...
Not so much. There are standard zoom lenses that produce much higher image quality than superzoom lenses, especially in the edges and corners.

Please note that I'm not necessarily talking about kit lenses, though some are very good. I'm talking about lenses like the Sigma 17-70, a lens that has won more than a few awards itself, btw.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:46 AM   #44

Quote:
If you are looking for a 1 lens solution a 250-270mm would be better. If you are looking for a better resell value the 200mm nikon is the better choice.

As I travel allot, I do notice that the add reach of my canon ef 70-300mm would come in handy compare to my ef-s 55-250mm lens at times as the 250 is my travel lens. And that is only 50mm. ...
While the difference in the angles of view of a 200mm lens and a 270mm lens is about 35%, the difference between your 250mm and your 300mm lenses is only about 20%. That's well within what could be obtained successfully by just cropping.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:01 PM   #45

a bit off topic, Tamron has a 80 dollar rebate of the 18-270 lens till the end of april if you go with a canon or nikon system.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:07 PM   #46

About VR, is the equivalent in the Sigma/Tamron work as well?

About Rebate it's more suitable to US residents - you must supply a local address.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:09 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
While the difference in the angles of view of a 200mm lens and a 270mm lens is about 35%, the difference between your 250mm and your 300mm lenses is only about 20%. That's well within what could be obtained successfully by just cropping.
The difference between 250 and 300mm is not as great, but still has a noticeable difference. Especially depends on how much you crop it. But the 20% can come in handy in a walk around zoom. So it has the same concern choosing between 200 and 250 lens.

Between 200 and 270mm. It actually make a larger difference. 35% is quite allot.

Between 250-270 it is not worth factoring in to the discussion with only 20mm in a long zoom.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloRSC View Post
About VR, is the equivalent in the Sigma/Tamron work as well?

About Rebate it's more suitable to US residents - you must supply a local address.
Most store will still give you the rebate regardless of where you live. Just give the the hotel address.

From all account the OS and VC of the sigma and tamrom is just as good as the IS and VR in canon and Nikon lenses.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:32 PM   #49

This shows the effective zooms for 132mm (200mm eq) until 270mm (405 mm eq)...

As the effect is "relative", not absolute, we can see that there is a huge step from 132mm (200mm eq - the zoom I had in my older film SLR in the 90's) to the 200mm (300mm eq) from Nikon.

We can notice that the gain going to 250mm is small, and from this to 270mm is even smaller in relative gain.

This image is a composition using the simulator available in the Tamron website: http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learnin...comparison.php
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:39 PM   #50

There is quite a big difference for an all in lens between 200mm and 270mm. To get the same effect with editing you will be losing a decent amount of resolution when cropping down. With the longer reach. You maintain high res photo.

Even at 200mm vs 250mm it is still allot. You should do a camparison of a 2 lens that goes to 300mm, as allot of kits has. You will see how short a 200mm lens will leave you as oppose to 300mm.