Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:59 PM   #11

vabb-

Yes, the Sony A-230 has better high ISO capability than the FZ-35. The FZ-35 ois pretty much limited to ISO 800. In contrast the A-230 can easily be shot at ISO 1600 and pushed to ISO 3200 in a pinch. Here is a no flash/existing light photo sample where I also had to stop some action.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:44 PM   #12

I browsed some photos on flickr of sony A100, some pictures have enormous quality, like holywood studios productions, some others have as much noise as slim cameras, all the while they all made with the same camera,
I don't understand why..

Here is the link of the quality that I want

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motivsucher/4328413010/

And this is the photo made with even better camera A350, but it is so much worse than the other one, it looks the same as any slim camera, can anybody please explain why is there such difference between quality on the same camera ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2334870...38091/sizes/l/
vabb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:10 PM   #13

vabb-

Noise in a photo is directly affected by ISO used. And the ISO used is dependent on the camera user. Noise, at least with the A-230 is not a problem when you keep the ISO in check. My above photo sample with the juggler was taken at ISO 1600, and yes, it does show some noise.

The attached photo was taken at ISO 400 using the Sony A-230's built-in flash unit. So that will give you another glimpse at the A-230's image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:06 PM   #14

Ok I got that, and how about this image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4344590674/

what determines it's superb quality ? Low ISO, high megapixel, good lense, what particular factor ? And I haven't seen FZ35 making picutures of such quality..why ?
vabb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:14 PM   #15

Low ISO and good lighting were the primary factors in the image quality in that flickr image. Here is a photo at ISO 100 at F 7.1 and a shutter speed of 1/320th. In this photo you can see that same image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:27 PM   #16
Super Moderator

The differences you are noticing are chiefly in the ability of the photographer. The camera will only do so much. Knowing how to catch the light, how to compose the picture and how to process it after shooting are what makes the difference.

Simply having a good camera is (unfortunately) no guarantee of good images. Once you've bought the camera, all the really hard stuff lies ahead of you.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:22 PM   #17

I agree 100% Craig-

I attempted to gently express that previously. But, without a doubt, one of the largest variables is the camera user.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:03 PM   #18

Understand that with a DSLR you will have a learning curve. With the FZ35, that is a very good camera, you are taking pictures right out of the box. It is a mistake to think that a DSLR is simply a much better point and shoot.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:53 AM   #19
Super Moderator

I am slightly confused as to why a very big zoom range seems to have become a priority?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:32 AM   #20

For those of us who can't afford more than 1 camera we want the most reach... if I am at a school play, or in the park - if I wait til I get closer.. I miss the shot... unless I am in the front row. I can't keep jumping up in the middle of a play or production for the kids at dance or in school.... but often I can't be up close... so the zoom is wanted.. you don't HAVE to use it but it is nice when it is there.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote