Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:09 AM   #1

Default What camera can i buy for Himalayas ? around 400$ budget

I know nothing of DSLR cameras except of one thing, that they are better than slim cameras due to the big size of mirror which is all that matters for the image quality.
In march I'm going to Nepal for Everest and Annapurna treks to see those insane landscapes and I really want to have a good memory of that with me.
I have about 400$ to spend for the camera, can you suggest me something good ? There are huge load of cameras on the market and i don't know for which one to strive, recently I found Olympus e500 camera and the pictures from it were quite nice, but some people here suggested that older D50 camera from Nikon is better, though I don't understand why.
If you could suggest me 2-3 cameras upon which to look.
I don't strive for ultimate quality that you get with 3D and such, but just something decent would be sufficent, I don't want to end up in Himalayas with a slim low quality camera.
vabb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:19 AM   #2

If you are trekking you may want a lighter camera. You may want to look at a megazoom like a panasonic FZ38. They do pack better. And it will well be in your budget.

For your budget, and low light is not to much of a concern, on the dslr front
sony a230
canon XS/1000D
nikion D3000
olympus e520

slight more but a bit better
Canon XSi/450D
olympus e620

They are all pretty good. I would not buy a use camera. To many thing can go wrong, but I would get a used lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:40 AM   #3

vabb-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

I agree with the Panasonic FZ-35 suggestion. The FZ-35/38 is a very good camera that provides excellent image quality, a 28mm to 504mm zoom range, and weighs just 14 ounces. It is an excellent camera for treking.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:42 PM   #4

I just compared photos made with FX35 and D3000 at Flickr
and it seems to me FX35 is a mile away from D3000 in terms of quality (less pixelazation at highest resolution ) or am I wrong ?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Super Moderator

that depends on the ISO.

if you are shooting at or near base ISO, there would be little difference in good light.

however, if you are shooting in lower-light and boosting the ISO to higher levels, then of course you will see much less noise with any DSLR vs any superzoom/p&s. which is to be expected given the sensor size on a dslr is many times larger than the superzooms.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
that depends on the ISO.

if you are shooting at or near base ISO, there would be little difference in good light.

however, if you are shooting in lower-light and boosting the ISO to higher levels, then of course you will see much less noise with any DSLR vs any superzoom/p&s. which is to be expected given the sensor size on a dslr is many times larger than the superzooms.

So if it is cloudy or rainy is it already much lower light ? or smog ?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:45 PM   #7

The FZ-35 is a very versatile camera, even in less than perfect weather it comes through with excellent image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:46 PM   #8
Super Moderator

you should be fine in smog/overcast/misty days just fine, the fz-35 can handle mid-ISO;s quite well and its lens is fast and has a nice image stabilizer.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:57 PM   #9

With the FZ you will not need to switch lenses to cover a variety of ranges. Which will pay off since you are going to be trekking. With the dslr, you would need to carry 2 lenses to cover the same zoom ranges. Or put the camera out of your budget with a 1 megazoom lens solution with one of the dslr bodies mention. So if you are will to accept the compromise in low light ability the FZ would be a better solution for your Himalayan trip. So it will save you some valuable packing space not carrying 2 lenses.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:33 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your replies i might stick with FZ, but I got another question,
The sony A series, Sony A100, 230, they seem to have really great picture quality, are they better than FZ ?