Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:10 PM   #1

Default Should I replace my Fuji Finepix F11?

Hello,

I am very much an amateur photographer just trying to capture some memories of my 8 and 6 year old daughters. I have a Fuji F11 that is about 3 1/2 years old. It still seems to work fine (as well as when I first got it.) The outdoor quality is great. However, I am not happy with some of the indoor w/ flash pictures taken at night. They sometimes come out dark, blurry, or overexposed. In the past I was using the auto setting for all shots - indoor and out --and have just recently started experimenting with manual controls for indoor. By forcing ISO to ~400 and shutter speed to 1/60, my pictures have improved somewhat.

I have been reading great reviews on some of the Canon P&S models, such as the SD1200IS and the SD880IS, etc. My question is, has technology improved such that it is worth my money (my budget at this time is $200-$300) to "upgrade" my F11? I'd really like to just set the camera on auto and not think about settings. Sometimes memorable moments occur too quickly to have to set up the shot!!

Thanks in advance for your advice.
momma_of_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:51 PM   #2

momma of two-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

I am also a long time Fuji F11 user. I just got rid of mine for the very same reasons. There have been a huge technical improvements in digital cameras in the last 3.5 years. Image stabilization is now standard, automatic modes work much better and the new cameras can do a lot more.

I would suggest you take a look at the Sony H-20 (now priced right around $(US) 230.00 on the internet). Professional reviewers has rated the H-20 as having both the the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in the Compact Zoom Class of digital cameras. In addition the H-20 can shoot HD video and you can zoom while filming. It is an excellent camera value.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:00 PM   #3

Thank you, Sarah. I have read other threads in which you recommend the H-20 also. Sounds like a great fit for me. I appreciate your advice!
momma_of_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:23 PM   #4

momma of two-

You're very welcome. We're here to help out.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote