Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:23 PM   #1

Default Looking for a good zoom

My husband likes to shoot with something a little bigger than an S90, so I'm wondering what would be a good camera for him? He currently has a Kodak 6490, which is SLOW! I'm leaning towards the Canon SX120 because I love Canons, but have also read on here abou the Sony H20. What would you recommend? 10-12x zoom is what we're looking for. Thanks!
akmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:08 PM   #2

akmontgomery-

The Sony H-20 has more useful features. It has both the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom. It also shoots HD video and you can zoom while filming.

Neither of the two cameras has a wide angle position on their zoom range. The SX-120 has a standard video and built-in flash unit that is only average. Both cameras can use ISO 800 easily without undue, or unexpected noise in the image.

The SX-120 is currently priced at around $(US)200.00. the Sony H-20 is running around $(US) 230.00. The physical dimensions of the three cameras are very different, so I really encourage you to visit a retailer and to actually handle these three cameras.

There is one more camera that you might want to consider. It is the 12mp, 10X optical zoom, Samsung HW15Z camera. It has an excellent Schneider lens with a 28mm wide angle and it is a high performer. The HZ15W is currently selling for about $(US) 190.00 at Amazon.

Any of these three cameras would serve you well. I have attached a photo sample from the Samsung HZ15W camera. I own all three cameras, so I am happy to answer any follow-on questions.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:56 AM   #3

I believe 10x zoom is becoming "old" technology. There are a significant number of cameras out there (different brands and models including Canon) offering 12x+ zoom. The biggest advantage of those models is the fact that their lenses start at a much wider angle (28mm or less), which is a big plus for indoor and landscape shooting.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:02 PM   #4

Thant is an excellent point, Tullio-

Of the three cameras suggested, the Samsung HZ15W does have a 28mm wide angle.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:15 PM   #5

I'm not a Samsung fan but I must admit I'm looking forward to seeing how their new HZ35 model performs once it's been released. It incorporates a 15x zoom lens, which is very attractive as it makes the camera extremely versatile. The HZ15 is a bargain right now (but that's 10x zoom...old tech.) and one can buy it on Amazon for a mere $187.

Tullio
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:58 PM   #6

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35?

Would that be better than or comparable the H20? I just happened to notice that it was released a little later.
akmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:45 PM   #7

akmontogomery-

The H-20 is my top choice. I added the HZ15W because it has a 24mm wide angle, which might be to your advantage. Another choice is the Panasonic ZS3, it also has a 25mm wide angle, and great outdoor image quality, but indoor image quality suffers due to a very weak, tiny built-in flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:42 PM   #8

Weeeeellll

How much zoom does anyone want? Not exactly ideal shooting conditions...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
How much zoom does anyone want?...
It depends on what you want to capture. 10x may be OK to see a close-up of a building but let's put this way, if there was a bird sitting on top of that street light post, 10x zoom would not be enough to give you a nice view of the bird. I started with 12 several years ago (Sony H1, which is one of the best P&S cameras I've ever had...and still have), so I would not go with any less than that.

Tullio
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:10 AM   #10

Tullio and akmontgomery-

As you add more zoom to the camera, the camera becomes physically larger. Yes, the 18X optical zoom, Panasonic FZ-35 is an excellent super zoom camera, but it weighs 14 ounces and it is surely not pocket sized. I own the camera myself and it is capable of very good indoor and outdoor image quality. It can operate easily right up to ISO 800 without any problems.

Among the newly introduced cameras there are two more cameras that show potential, and have a smaller physical form factor. But that have not as yet received professional reviews. Those two cameras are the Canon SX-210, with 14mp and 14mp,www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=4083 and the Samsung HZ35W with 12mp and 15X optical zoom.www.letsgodigital.org/en/24749/samsung-hz35w/

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM.