Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:15 AM   #11

I only asked which camera is better and I hear loads of things about false economy, getting good glass, impressing people among others, while the original question remains unanswered. Forget it. I'll ask on a different forum instead. Since you're a "super-moderator" then you can delete the topic if you wish, because I doubt anybody would find anything in this that will help.
stasic_jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:18 AM   #12
Super Moderator

We are trying to help you get the best and sure if you want a new camera then go for it, but I think there is much better use of your cash.

They are both very good cameras, the Canon is slightly better if you are doing sports. But neither is too much better than the D5000 for day to day shooting which is why getting good glass would really make the difference.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasic_jodell View Post
I only asked which camera is better and I hear loads of things about false economy, getting good glass, impressing people among others, while the original question remains unanswered. Forget it. I'll ask on a different forum instead. Since you're a "super-moderator" then you can delete the topic if you wish, because I doubt anybody would find anything in this that will help.

Actually, I think i did answer your question, and I think Mark did too. At I think we answered it the best we could, as you really haven't a given a real reason to upgrade your body, aside from being able to use lenses with focus motors. The lens you say you want (the cheap 70-300) is universally know as an awful lens, and yes you can go wrong by getting it. Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean you should buy it. Most of the cheaper, non AF-S lenses aren't worth hanging on cheap bodies, let alone a higher end body. You're always better off getting better lenses, as you will likely keep lenses for a long time...bodies are pretty disposable, and buying a whole new, more expensive body ust to hang a cheap lens on it is not a sound idea. Most likely, all Nikon's (and 3rd party lenses as well) will be af-s, so going forward, all new lenses will be compatible with the d5k and there has been talk, that focus motors may be left out of all but the top end pro camera's. Not having a focus motor has had no effect on my lens choices or selections...there is an AF lens for nearly every focal length or shooting situation. Aside from a large selection of bright primes, everything else is covered..macro, tele, wide..there are many AF-S choices.
People often get hung up on having the newest, or a higher end body for the sake of having it...I've been there and done that myself (I had to have the D300). And although I do some paid sports work, I don't need that body for my day to day photography. I'm not sure why your getting so bent out of shape..your getting sound advice from experienced photographers (more so Mark than me)
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote