Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:25 AM   #1

Default D90 or 50D?

Hello everybody. I'm new here at Steve's Digicams.

First of all, I've already read a few reviews of both, a few of them said that the 50D is competing at a completely different level, while others said that the Nikon might just be better.

Second, I already own a Nikon D5000. I don't plan on interchanging lenses if ever I get the D90.....

I live here in the Philippines, so here is what I came up with.....

If I go the Nikon way, the body will cost PHP 37,000, and the Nikkor 18-200mm VR-II lens will cost PHP 34,000.

If I go the Canon way, the 18-200mm kit will cost exactly 75,000.

In other words, price doesn't matter. I really am a fan of Nikon, but the Canon seems really tasty, and I don't mind the extra mp, though that's not really important. The biggest problem I've heard with the Canon is the kit lens. I've heard that the 18-200mm has a lot of Chromatic Aberration. One other thing is some minor noise issues, though judging by the pictures, it's really negligible considering the extra clarity given by the higher res. I don't care about the video mode on the D90 because it's exactly the same as my D5K. Another thing, I don't plan on selling my D5K for personal and backup reasons....thanks in advance for the answers!

BTW I'm only 14 years old.....so please don't be surprised if I find myself lost in some the things you guys might say...
stasic_jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:18 AM   #2

Neither the Canon 18-200 nor the Nikon 18-200 is particularly good. They both suffer from the same shortcomings inherent to all superzoom lenses. When you try to make a lens do to much, it doesn't do anything well. They have more rectilinear distortion and chromatic aberration, and are not very sharp.

If you're concerned about image quality, you'd do better by getting multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges.

If you want a 'jack of all trades and master of none' lens, then the available lenses shouldn't be a reason to select one camera body over the other.

What matters most, I believe, is how the camera feels to you. If you can find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll be more successful and happier with your choice. And considering that you have a Nikon D5000 and will keep it, it will probably be easier for you to switch back and forth between two Nikon bodies than between a Nikon and a Canon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:31 AM   #3

I see what you mean.....the reason why I am considering the Canon when I'm in fact a Nikon fan is because of the apparent feel.....the Canon has a magnesium alloy body (if I remember correctly) and has a more rubbery texture to it while the D90 has the same feel as my D5K. I have tried a 500D and it was nice to hold and I could grip it real firmly, so I'm assuming that it should be even better for the 50D. But most importantly, the 50D is bigger and heavier than the D90 (literally), which is a really big plus for me, because I like it when an object feels real solid.

Last edited by stasic_jodell; Feb 27, 2010 at 4:33 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:26 AM   #4

Default Q

You haven't really mentioned why you are considering a new camera?? Where is the D5k limiting you and forcing you to consider an additional body?? Why do you think you need two bodies??

Those questions aside, the D90 is pretty close to the D5k. It is slightly bigger and has more control options. It also allows you to control Nikon flashes using the on board flash. As TC mentioned, you'll basically be able to pick up the D90 and shoot right away. You won't have to learn a new menu system and the transition will be seamless. I tried using two different bodies (I had an Olympus DSLR for a while) and could never adjust to differing control schemes, especially when using both at the same time. The nikon 18-200 is also the best superzoom there is if you just wanted to use one lens as you mentioned.

The 50d is a slight step up from the d90 and offers more speed and control, as well as additional durability. It also has more resolution, but doesn't do as well at high ISO's so you take a bit of a hit in IQ.

I know you said you like things heavier and more solid. I had that idea once too...I own the D300, but now only use it for paid and sports work, simply because it is too big and heavy to carry around for general use. I think you'd probably be better off just investing in the glass you need right now, than carrying around two bodies.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:47 AM   #5

Regarding your first question, I'm not sure really. I'm not sure about anything except for the fact that the D5000 is a camera that has a lot of missing features, including the built-in motor, build quality, overall texture of the grip...tons of other things, but most importantly, personal reasons.

Anyways, judging from the pictures, the 50D has a real rubber feel to it, because the grip just isn't shiny, while the D90 retains that shininess on the grip that I can see on the plasticy D5K.....I'm torn between the two of these.....

Another thing is that the 50D looks more "professional" ...... lol, or maybe more "aesthetically pleasing."
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:14 AM   #6

If you can't answer those questions, it makes it tough to make a recommendation. You are right that the D5k is missing a few features. Going up to the D90 doesn't get you a whole lot more, going to the 50d, gets you a a little more, mostly in terms of speed and build quality. Have you missed shots or had a hard time getting a shot because of the D5k?? Honestly, unless you are shooting sports or action, or a regularly abusing the camera, you probably don't need the 50d. Wanting a camera is one thing, but do you really need it? A flash, better lenses, or investing in a tripod will do more to help you get better images than a new body. Especially if you are just going to pair a nicer body with a superzoom. Also understand, neither will get you better images (maybe marginally so, at least not enough to be immediately noticeable). I don't think getting a camera because it is more professional looking is necessarily the right decision. There is something to be said to having a lightweight camera, and again for me, my D5k is my first choice for daily use over my D300.

If you've got money to burn, then really for a few bucks more, the D300(s) is probably a better choice than the 50d, simply because you will be able to swap lenses , and the control system is the same. Why keep the d5k as a backup if you won't be able to use your canon lenses (if the 50d fails) on your backup. And again, going back and forth between systems is not easy.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:01 AM   #7

I see what you mean about going back and forth between systems and lenses, and what happens when the 50D fails.....thank you sir. You have been a huge help, and I'm leaning more towards the D90 right now. Thanks! oh, and regarding the more professional looking thing, I was only saying lol, it really wasn't a factor for leaning towards the 50D as it probably sounded, so my bad. Thanks again!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Do you want to impress people who see you with a certain camera that looks more professional, or do you want to get better photos?

If it is the latter than you are wasting money putting a poor lens option on a good body, put the money into better glass, a flash or both on the body you have and you will get much better shots than changing body. It is really only if you are a sports shooter or needing really good low light performance that you might consider a change, but apart from that there are wiser things to consider.

You mention the focus motor issue. What lenses are you wanting to use that you can't due to having no focus motor currently?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:28 AM   #9

"regarding the more professional looking thing, I was only saying lol, it really wasn't a factor for leaning towards the 50D as it probably sounded"

Forget I ever said anything about a camera looking more professional.

There are quite a few lenses that I wouldn't mind having if it weren't for my D5K missing a focus motor, a good example would be one of those really cheap 70-300mm. At it's price, you really can't go wrong. Yeah, the aperture isn't impressive, but as I said, at it's price point it's a steal. Another thing is that a lot of future lenses will be cheaper for me since there would be a motor on board.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Most current and future lenses are going to have the focus motor included so that they can work on all Nikon bodies (same as Canon lenses do now). There are only a few which don't have this.

You are worried about saving some money on glass but are willing to spend loads on a new body so you can save, this doesn't make sense. Again, cheap glass on good body = mediocre results, good glass on cheap body = much better results.

To me it is false economy to go with your method of thinking (and that is as a Canon shooter so not trying to force you to stay Nikon for the sake of it).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote