Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:34 AM   #11

Mtclimber, many thanks. I'm going to consider LX3, FZ35 and the H20. I wish I could have a preview of what the new replacement for the LX3 would be.
wanderintraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:32 AM   #12

wanderintraveler-

I read on one of those "camera rumor" websites that they expect the replacement LX4 to use a CMOS imager like that being used in the new Sony TX-7 and HX-5 cameras.

Please keep in mind however, that is only a rumor, and it may or may not be true.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:57 AM   #13

Sorry I'm not familiar with photography terms. Is CMOS supposed to be better?

I was narrowing down my selection and comparing LX3 to H20 because I they seem to have almost the same weight. After I eliminate this selection I will just decide between this or the FX35. The main difference between the LX3 and H20 is the zoom is it correct? Discounting the zoom lens factor, which between the 2 has a better image quality?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:54 AM   #14

wanderin traveler-

Due to its larger imager and it fast F 2.0 lens, the image quality of the Panasonic LX3 will easily surpass that of the Sony H-20.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:13 PM   #15

hi wanderintraveler

I just wanted to chip in here.... Completely agree with Sarah - the combination of the larger sensor and fast f/2.0-2.8 lens in the LX3 not only means that it is capable of producing very good quality images, but it also performs very well in low light.

You may know this already, but the lower the f/ number of the lens (in this case f/2) the larger the aperture which in turn lets in more light to the sensor. This could be really beneficial for getting shots of your children under normal indoor shooting conditions - because the aperture is letting in more light, the shutter speed can be higher (to freeze action) and/or you won't need to use flash, or raise the sensitivity (ISO) too high. The added bonus of a large aperture (small f/ number), is that it also makes the depth of field in your photos much shallower - in simple terms, the background becomes blurred whilst your subject is in sharp focus.

Every 'compact' camera has compromises, and with the LX3 it's the zoom range. You might have concerns over it being very short (2.5x) but in reality, once you get used to "zooming with your feet" you won't look back. My favourite photos of my 2 children are those I took with my prime lens on my DSLR ('prime' lenses are of fixed focal length with no zoom at all).

One final point about RAW from your earlier post... Shooting RAW stores the 'raw' sensor data rather than a 'ready-to-go' JPEG, and you then process this file using software on your computer. You don't need to use RAW, but it's nice to have as you can adjust things like exposure, white balance, saturation, sharpening, noise reduction (etc.etc..) without degrading the final image quality.

Hope this helps!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:45 PM   #16

Mtclimber-- Once again thank you for your prompt response.

MrMacmusic -- Thank you for chiming in to give your thoughts. I was thinking the same that with cameras there is always a compromise like if I want a lighter one, then the capabilities can be limited. Most likely the reason why the H20 and the FZ35 is bigger is that it has to make room for the zoom lens. I cannot have it all. I just can't but a feel a bit of regret that the LX3 seem to have all that I may need except the plus of the zoom which seems to be the norm in most new cameras these days. I was thinking perhaps it's because this is a 2008 model that's why it's not as upgraded.

So H20 is out. Now it's just a matter if I'm willing to lug the FZ35 around or the more compact LX3. There is the likelihood that LX3 will win.

It's capabilities seems intimidating. I hope it doesn't need a lot of manual adjustments just to take a pic. These days, I find it hard to find time to read a manual or study how things work. I hope I can figure out how to use the camera quick. If ever this is the first time I will be using a Panasonic so I'm not sure how different it is with Canon.

A question regarding taking pic with Jpeg. Actually that is what I'm used to. Isn't it possible to edit jpeg pics using softwares like Photoshop or other photo editing tools? Do you mean that the LX3 is capable of shooting in 2 ways ie. raw or jpeg? So it's just a choice on the setting?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:27 PM   #17

Wanderintraveler-

Raw or Jpeg are just two types of image formats that are menu selectable on the LX-3. CMOS is an advanced imager type. It is new to P+S cameras and may replace the CCD type imager that has been used for almost 15 years.

If you are not in a hurry, you might want to take a look at the newly introduced Samsung TL-350 that has been labeled by some in photo circles as the "LX-3 Killer."

It will use a CMOS imager. It has more zoom than the LX-3, and it can do a burst of 10 individual shots in 1 second. The Tl-350 is only a very small bit larger than the LX-3 and it will be priced at $(US)350.00. It will not be on dealer shelves for 5 or 6 weeks, and it looks to be very interesting. Just google it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:05 PM   #18

You guys are killing me! So which is the best for a good, general use zoom camera: Sony H20, Panasonic ZS3 or Panasonic FZ35?
akmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:20 PM   #19

akmontgomery-

The Panasonic ZR1, ZS3, FZ-35 along with the Sony H-20 are all among the top 10 selling cameras today. You could hardly go wrong with any of them. However, due their small and weak built-in flash units, which deteriorates their indoor image quality, I would cross off the ZR1 and the ZS-3, unless you are willing to invest in a slave flash like the Canon HF-1, which would improve their indoo image quality.

So you see, that only leaves the FZ-35 which is a great camera but not at all pocketable. It weigh 14 ounces and need a separate case. That leaves the Sony H-20.

Now If I recall properly, akmontgomery, that is what I have been telling all along.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:57 PM   #20

what about canon sx200 or 210?
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote