Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:25 PM   #21

Nech-

I'm sorry to say that neither the Canon SX-200 nor the Canon SX-210 are part of the ten top selling cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:03 AM   #22

MtClimber-

The Samsung TL350 indeed looks impressive and the size looks small enough and there is at least a 5x zoom. But the question is if it really performs since it's still new and no one has tested it and there would most likely be very few reviews out there yet. Is Samsung known to make reliable and good cams? I have nothing against Samsung, though it doesn't make me think of that brand when it comes to camera. Most important is that even if I want it, I think it will not be available here in awhile. :-(

Whenever I buy an electronic gadget, my husband always say just wait there will be something new. It's true, but there will always be something new all the time.
wanderintraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:06 AM   #23

Something newer and 'better' is always around the corner..... but that doesn't mean to say 'old' isn't great.

The fact that the new still-to-be-tested Samsung is billed as an "LX3 killer" tells its' own story wouldn't you say..? (i.e. the LX3 is the benchmark camera to beat). The LX3 has been the popular "photographers" choice for years as a pocketable second camera.... also, very telling.

I guarantee you don't need lots of zoom range to get great, emotive images of your children - certainly not indoors - outdoors, you might need to be standing that bit closer, that's all.

Long zoom, large aperture lenses are big and expensive, which is why the LX3 focuses (sorry, no pun intended!) on image quality rather than lens reach. Look at the lens specs on current medium to long zoom compacts - the aperture tends to start at f/3.3, but critically gets much slower (f/5.6 upwards) at the long or 'telephoto' end of the zoom..... so, whilst you get long zoom reach, your shutter speed needs to be much slower and/or sensitivity much higher to get the same exposure.

There are exceptions, but it's very much "give with one hand, and take away with the other". The FZ35/38 lens is great, starting at f/2.8 (27mm), but the sensor is much smaller than the LX3 which benefits from a faster f/2 and wider (24mm) lens.

Regarding JPEG and RAW - you can indeed edit both on your computer using Photoshop (or some other image editor). There's absolutely nothing wrong with using auto, and storing JPEGs but since JPEG is a compressed (or 'lossy') format, tweaking the image can reduce the quality, sometimes significantly. RAW files need processed - you decide if you want to change the exposure, brightness, levels, saturation, white balance, sharpness (etc) - and since you are using the actual un-compressed data captured by the camera, these adjustments are made without degrading picture quality. So, RAW is good to have - but far from essential, particularly if you get great JPEGs straight out the camera!

Hope that helps explain a bit.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:05 AM   #24

MrMac, yes you did explain it well. It did help thank you. I hardly know much about aperture, that's why I find it even difficult to read the reviews or compare the long list of specs of each cams when they talk about the technical stuff. For instance I used to think that larger the number the wider the lens. As it turns out it's the opposite.

I think I understand a bit about the raw the jpeg thing. I remember someone saying that every time I edit a picture, the quality loses a bit and I notice it on the size of the pic every time I edit it.

Thanks for your patience and time. Appreciate it. :-)
wanderintraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:43 AM   #25

No problem - glad I can help, even a little bit!

Quote:
I think I understand a bit about the raw the jpeg thing. I remember someone saying that every time I edit a picture, the quality loses a bit and I notice it on the size of the pic every time I edit it.
Yes, that's it. JPEGs can be saved with different levels of compression - i.e. a 'fine' setting uses least compression, rendering the highest quality image but a larger file. If you edit, save, edit, save, your image gets more compressed each time, and it won't be long before you do see fine detail being lost in your image.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:07 AM   #26

wander in traveler-

I think it is important to set the record straight here. Yes, jpeg images will gradually show some deterioration over time, that is true. However, it takes over 100 cycles of opening and closing to see some visual evidence of any loss of quality.

Now honestly, most folks, don't continually open and close an individual jpeg photo even 100 times. So, for that reason the jpeg format is the most widely used format.

For those that enjoy photo editing, and who are willing to take on a measurably increased work load, RAW could be a viable option. However, there is indeed much more work involved.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Nech-

I'm sorry to say that neither the Canon SX-200 nor the Canon SX-210 are part of the ten top selling cameras.

Sarah Joyce
so are you saying it is not a good camera? would you take the panasonic ZR1, ZS3 over it? if you were to get 1 camera - I know that issue is with the weak flash for indoor shots...
but if you would only get 1 camera - what would it be?
I want a large zoom - I am tempted to give the samsung wb550 another try... would you say the samsung is better than the canon? Should I go for the panasonic? my head is spinning already and my husband won't talk to me anymore about it.
Advice?
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:47 PM   #28

Nech-

I am seriously concerned! All I said was that neither the Canon SX-200 nor the SX-210 are among the top ten selling cameras. I did not say the Canon Sx-200 was a bad camera. You might be thinking that, but, I did not say that. I really do not prefer that posters supply their own suppositions, and then attribute them to me.

I know for a fact, that you have followed these discussions very carefully, and that you are having a problem in making a camera decision. However, this is a personal choice decision. It is not so much a matter of what camera is "best." What is best for me, might indeed not be "best" for you, or anyone else for that matter. So "best" is really, a very relative term, please understand that.

I feel that camera decisions have to me made, in the final analysis, solely based on how any camera's features mesh with your priorities, skill levels, and the type of photography that you like and do.

We attempt to offer detailed information, not decisions.

Have a great day

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:40 PM   #29

Sarah,
I am sorry if I offended or upset you. I just posted what about the sx200 and you said - that they are not part of the top 10 selling ones. So I wanted to understand what that comment meant? That is all. Is it well they are not part of the top 10 so that is saying something, or that there are better ones out there? or is it that for this model canon did not market as aggressively? I have seen that with other types of products that are excellent products but were poorly marketed so they were not part of the top 10 sellers, but not due to quality. I didn't make a supposition and attribute to you.. I merely asked for qualification. I don't think it is a bad camera or I wouldn't have posted to the OP to look at it. When you posted that they are not part of the top 10 selling ones, it seemed like you were asking why am I even suggesting it. So I wanted to understand.
You have always been helpful with your opinions etc. I am not looking for you to make a decision for me. I just asked your opinion.
Again sorry if I upset you
Nech
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Nech-

I am seriously concerned! All I said was that neither the Canon SX-200 nor the SX-210 are among the top ten selling cameras. I did not say the Canon Sx-200 was a bad camera. You might be thinking that, but, I did not say that. I really do not prefer that posters supply their own suppositions, and then attribute them to me.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:25 PM   #30

Nech-

I think that the Canon SX-200 is targeted at a rather specialized market niche. It is a good camera, but it is not one of the ten top selling cameras. I do not believe that is an overly significant fact or event.

As for me, I am, at a point in time, where I am going to take some time off from the boards. I have to develop a new syllabus for a digital cameras course I will be starting on March 29th.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 3, 2010 at 10:38 PM.