Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2010, 5:51 AM   #31

MtClimber-- Yes I understand what your saying. That it does lose some quality but it's not significant enough to make such a big difference. I think maybe the Raw is more for professional editing and not a casual user like me.

Nech-- I find it funny about your comment that your husband isn't talking to you about it anymore. It just reminds me of my husband who wouldn't want to discuss with me about cameras anymore. There must be something with women buying electronic gadgets. Anyway, I think MtClimber has a point regarding camera choices. It has to match your needs, level and preference as a user. I made a mistake before of buying an ultra slim camera just because I was disapointed with my old Canon A570 which is bulky and uses up quite a lot of AA batteries. So I made sure the next was slim and doesn't use AA batteries. However I was still disappointed because it didn't match my need of taking pics indoors and Canon 120IS isn't good with it. Now I'm prioritizing image quality so I don't mind if it weighs a bit more than the ultra slim type. I know that the dslr can definitely take much better pics, but they are too huge for me and also my skill doesn't match it's capabilities so it's not the best for me. Try to make a list of what is your priority for a cam and what you willing to compromise because I think it's hard to find all you want in just 1 camera. The 'experts' around here may be able to give you a list of possible cams that matches your needs and from there you can narrow down your choices.

I do hope that I found the right match this time. I don't plan to buy a cam yearly. Hope you find yours too.
wanderintraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintraveler View Post
Try to make a list of what is your priority for a cam and what you willing to compromise because I think it's hard to find all you want in just 1 camera. The 'experts' around here may be able to give you a list of possible cams that matches your needs and from there you can narrow down your choices.
A very sensible suggestion. Unfortunately, at all price points, it's always going to be about compromise in one form or another..... I would go further and say not only is it hard to find all you want in just 1 camera, it's well nigh impossible! (Depends on what you're looking for of course).

Prioritise your requirements, make a shortlist, and - most importantly - try them out to see what they actually feel like. I've made the mistake of not road-testing before, and I won't do it again.

I would never consider myself an expert by the way, just happy to be part of this community and help others where I can (and get invaluable advice where I'm a bit stuck myself!).
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote