Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:44 PM   #11

Here are things I photograph most:

I like to camp/hike/backpack a lot so I take a lot of outdoor nature/scenic photos from vast landscapes to macroshots of flowers to birds from afar (which may need a nice telephoto lens).

I also like to take urban scene photos; citiescapes, city blocks, buildings, night shots.

I also have a food blog and photograph foods that I cook.

I would say that is the most common type of photography I do. As for people and personal photos (like parties and going out to dinner with friends) I'll just stick to my point and shoot because it's small and does a nice job.

Does this help?

Last edited by danolunchbox; Feb 27, 2010 at 11:46 PM.
danolunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:01 AM   #12

If you shoot your night shot on a tripod. You will be find with a long exposure XSi. But except for the night shot the XSi would do an excellent job with the 2 lens kit that would cover most of what you shoot.

The bird things is a tough one. Generally you need a really big zoom. As most general purpose zooms are to short for small birds depending how far away.

But the macro thing, you would need a macro lens, as the kit lenses are not suited for that. And if you are looking for an inexpensive macro lens the EF 50mm 2.5 is pretty good for about 230 dollars.

If you are looking for a really inexpensive macro option, you can use the EF 50mm MK II. And get an extension tube and manual focus it will give you decent results.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 28, 2010 at 12:51 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:53 PM   #13

One more thing that came into mind is that I'm very advanced at Photo editing in Photoshop and I was wondering if by using that editing I could make up for the differences between the ISO in the Xsi and T1i...I like to photo edit, so if I had a low light shot that didn't come out right, I could easily edit the levels and exposure to make it look great (I do that with my point and shoot photos).

Would editing skills/using editing programs make up the difference?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:06 PM   #14

You can only make it up to a degree. You may get it up to 3200iso, but I doubt you will be able to make it up to 6400 let alone 12800iso.

But unless you do allot of hand held low light. The 3200 and 6400 can make a big difference.

Here is a un edited shot of a friend of mine in a dark conner of a bar. it was taken at f3.5, 1/50 sec, with 6400iso. I tried with a lower iso and longer shutter speed, but got camera shake. I can only had hold to about 1/30 of a sec with IS off 1/20 with IS on.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:26 PM   #15

Haha very lovely photo. Well It'll be a tough decision to make, but to save a buck I think I may go with the Xsi. I can always get a better lens later on after I master this one. And in a few years I can buy a higher end SLR if I'm serious. But for a starter SLR I can't really argue with the $550 price.

Thanks for all the help! I can't wait to play with my new camera
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:35 PM   #16

The Canon XSi is a very good choice, and its price point right now is very attractive.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:37 PM   #17

The XSi is a great camera, and right now it is also a great value. Except for low light, this camera will serve all your other needs, for years on down. I know people with the older XTi and still going strong with over 100,000 shots on it.

To compensate for the low light. You can get a 90 dollar EF 50mm 1.8 MK II. If you stop down to 2.0 or 2.5 you will get good results. And if you find yourself in a dark place, you can open it up to 1.8. The other solution is a good flash down the line. Something like the Metz 48 or canon 430EX II and spend the the extra money on a dome defuse like sto fen.