Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:01 PM   #1

Default Canon Xsi or Canon T1i?

So I'm finally going to buy a DSLR and I've been a fan of Canon for a while (I currently have one in their Powershot SD series).

I realize these cameras differ in their specifications and prices but I'm willing to buy either of them...I just don't know how to choose. Do I get the Xsi which is now down to $550 on Amazon or do I get the T1i that is $750?

I feel that one of the big differences that may cause me to lean towards the T1i is the video mode (which the Xsi lacks). I know I might want to shoot some video, but should I just leave that video shooting to my little Canon point and shoot?

So do I save $200 and go with the Xsi or splurge for the $750 T1i? With the Xsi I may use the money I save and get a telephoto lens (which may add an additional $50 and put my budget up to $800)--Is this worth it as well?

Any advice or opinions would be great! Thanks!!
danolunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the other advantage of the t1i over the xsi is the ability to shoot at iso 3200 (extendable to 6400/12800), which the xsi is limited to 1600. this may or may not be an advantage depending on your shooting needs. if you frequently shoot low light, or plan on doing anything in lower light handheld, i.e. sports/concerts/venues, etc. you may take that into consideration.

but in their shared range of 100-1600 ISO, there is little difference in image quality between the t1i and the xsi. the xsi has a bit lighter aliasing filter and better per-pixel sharpness, but the nominal increase in resolution of the t1i negates any differences in actual prints.

Last edited by Hards80; Feb 27, 2010 at 8:11 PM. Reason: forgot to include iso expansion
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:09 PM   #3

Problem with video on the T1i is that if you use focus when shooting video you will hear the motor on your recording. I use my point and shoot or a camcorder when doing video for this reason. Also if you move quickly when recording you will have a jelly effect in on the imagine.

The big photographic difference between the 2 camera is that the T1i has a 12800iso while the XSi is at 1600iso. If you shoot in low light allot the T1i would let you bump up the iso where you can get the shoot without need the flash. As the built in flash is not that good.

The XSi imagine quality is equal to the T1i up to it's max of 1600iso. And is a very good camera in very regards.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:11 PM   #4

Hards is correct on the iso. In auto iso the T1i will select up to 3200 iso, but it you want to use 6400 or 12800 iso. You will have manually select those setting.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 27, 2010 at 8:40 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:32 PM   #5

Cool, thanks for the advice!

I do go to a lot of concerts where dark light is a concern. So the T1i sounds like a better choice for that reason alone.

As for the video, I'll probably just stick to my point and shoot for now (since the T1 lens makes noises)...I'll just get a nice camcorder eventually
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:39 PM   #6

One thing with concerts, some of them do not allow dslr in.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:48 PM   #7

Default Concerts

Yes, I wouldn't be bringing it to many concerts for that reason haha...but I did think about it and realize many of the photos I take are low light...so it's still sounding like the T1i is a good one to lean towards.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:01 PM   #8
Super Moderator

if you will shoot low light, then yes, having the higher available ISO's will be advantageous.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:04 PM   #9

So far I'm leaning towards the T1i as the higher iso appeals to me...but as for money if I get the Xsi I'll have more money leftover to buy a telephoto lens (for about the same price as if I buy the T1i)...

would it be more worth it to have another lens? Or to get the T1i for now (and save up for a lens later)?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:15 PM   #10

what else do you like to photo? It will let us know if the 2 kit lens would be a good option. Or weather it may be better to move up to then next level for the telephoto.