Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:05 PM   #11

I tend to keep my camera for a long time, my last slr I got in 1996, I just switch over last june to digital. The level of IQ that current dslr has reach is fantastic. It is more about feature then IQ now adays between cameras.

I do not think it will as the 550D is a brand new camera. Best for HD video in this segment. But the Pentax also had the ability to do HDR photos in-camera. Which is a nice feature that the other 2 on your list does not have.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:27 PM   #12

Thanks shoturtle. I too favor the Pentax camera. With all the assurances I have got with the image quality, I think I can let go of my fear of the brand. The only things that are left are (1) Limitation with AF (2) AA batteries (3) No tilt screen (minor). I guess I need to figure out if these features are worth compromising on. And just to be inclusive, what do you think about Canon 450D (Nothing great but good alternative to A330 and its also cheap) and Canon 500D (Good resolution, video recording. No IS in body but I guess I would buy IS lenses)
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:47 PM   #13

With the AA battery, get sanyo eneloop. My brother can get 1200 shots, no flash with one charge off these low discharge batteries. The AF is an improvement over it's big brother the K7. I think it is as good as the nikon in this segment, not quite there with the 550D or 500D. Again, live view is not great on pentax same with the canon and nikon. Your sister would most likely use the VF more. I only use live view when I do tripod work, where the subject does not move.

The 450D is an excellent camera. It is as good in IQ as the T1i up to it's max iso of 1600. So if low light is a big factor, the 450D may not be a great choice. Next to that it does everything else excellently.

I have the 500D I love it, but it is not that newbie friendly like all canon dslr. You you can get IS lens, but they tend to be a bit expensive. I shoot mostly primes. And non of them have IS, but it is not that great of a concern as they are very bright lenses at 1.8-2.8 I bump up the iso and it gives me a fast enough shutter speed not to need IS. With a in body system you would have IS on the good in expensive non IS lenses out there form sigma and tamron.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:08 PM   #14

In as much as you own and like the Sony A-300, why aren't you considering the A-230 for your sister??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:25 PM   #15

Hi Shoturtle,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I agree that live view is not something one would use frequently. I only use it when I am taking overhead shots or ground level shots. Although this in not the AF limitation I was talking about. I meant the fact that the AF points (or crosshair) don't light up when it has focussed on an object. This feature in my camera helps me figure out if it's the leaves or the bird that the camera is focussing on. 1200 shots without flash is good. But what about with flash? It would be upsetting if the batteries drained off in 100 shots.

@Sarah: I want to get her something better than the one I have. I like the Pentax in most aspects except for a few flags. Any scoop on Sony coming out with new SLRs?

Thanks,
Nev
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:28 PM   #16

With a flash 50% of the time he still gets over 700. That is allot better then my T1i. At only 450 shots on the lithium battery.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:34 PM   #17

Thanks Shoturtle. So does one get more shots with AA rechargeable batteries than the Lithium-Ion batteries? Its a welcome surprise. I always thought it was the other way round.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:02 PM   #18

normally you would except a lithium to last longer. But I think the reason that the pentax last longer then the with out lithium is because it is 4 cells. Think if it were 2, the lithium in my T1i would smoke it. Also the non-rechargeable lithium that comes with the camera lasted to almost 1500 shots. So lithium do last longer.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:58 AM   #19

nevjac-

I now understand your decision on the Sony A-230. My thoughts were that it would be a very easy camera for her to make the transition from P+S to DSLR.

What then are your remaining objections to the Pentax KX?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:21 PM   #20

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for getting back. I understand the rationale behind your suggestions but my sister is pretty good with DSLRs (although she never owned one). She's also a quick learner.

And here is entire list of concerns:

Ones I have cleared my doubts about:
1) Brand name that in turn will have an effect on service, third party accessories, availability in nearby stores, etc.
2) AA batteries which I thought had shorter life and made the camera heavier

Ones I am not happy about but willing to live without:
3) Poor AF speed in Live View. Since you mentioned Nikon and Canon have the same problem, I am okay with it.
4) No tilt screen.

Ones that are holding me from buying the camera:
5) AF points don't light up when its focused

I guess this summarizes what I had on mind. If there was one camera which could do all, I would go for it even if I had pay more. Since that's not the case, I think I am leaning towards the Pentax.

Thanks once again,
Nev