Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevjac View Post
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for getting back. I understand the rationale behind your suggestions but my sister is pretty good with DSLRs (although she never owned one). She's also a quick learner.

And here is entire list of concerns:

Ones I have cleared my doubts about:
1) Brand name that in turn will have an effect on service, third party accessories, availability in nearby stores, etc.
2) AA batteries which I thought had shorter life and made the camera heavier

Ones I am not happy about but willing to live without:
3) Poor AF speed in Live View. Since you mentioned Nikon and Canon have the same problem, I am okay with it.
4) No tilt screen.

Ones that are holding me from buying the camera:
5) AF points don't light up when its focused

I guess this summarizes what I had on mind. If there was one camera which could do all, I would go for it even if I had pay more. Since that's not the case, I think I am leaning towards the Pentax.

Thanks once again,
Nev
For some the af points lighting up is important. But when my brother move up, he was not uses to AF points lighting up so it does not bother him. Since this is for your sister, she may not be bother about no lights either. Best thing to do is have her go to a store to try it out, unless it is a surprise for her. Then I have no other suggestion about the AF lights. I it does not bother me when I use his k-x. It is not something that is in my work flow process when shooting.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:45 PM   #22

I guess my biased perspective is because I use the A300 which has that feature. Also I take a lot of shots in the Auto modes and hence those AF lights are very convenient. I presume that you take most shots in the manual mode. My sister too shares the same view as me because she too has used the Sony a lot. I guess we have to try cameras without the light up, to come to an objective conclusion. Unfortunately BestBuy and Ritz around here don't carry these cameras. Will have to keep hunting.
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:48 PM   #23

I use Av mode allot more then M but I chose my AF point allot. So it really does not bother me without the lights because I know where the focus will be that is all.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:54 PM   #24

nevjac-

I don't mean to make this look like this discussion is going circular. However, Only Sony has fast focusing LiveView cameras. It does not sound like either you or your sister will be happy without LiveView. So it pretty much had to be a Son A-300 series camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:58 PM   #25

If you can spring the extra money I would go with the sony A500 if you were to go with a sony option. Just know sony gives a good live view, but at the cost of hd video.

But it is a bigger and heavier camera then the pentax k-x and sony a3XX

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 2, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:17 PM   #26

Sony not offering HD video is exactly the reason why I am not favoring it. So like what you guys said, I too think Pentax will be my best choice (given my constraints). Thanks a lot folks!
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:21 PM   #27

in the 700 dollar segment, with all the features you want, there is only really one clear leader, and it is the pentax k-x. If you moved up the T1i or T2i, but they will be 1000+ with the 2 lens kits.

It is really a good camera. Pentax really up the AF performance over the bigger K 7. The K-x is equal to the d5000 and sony A3xx camera in AF department. If you go with it, you are getting a great product.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevjac View Post
...Nikon users usually squirm when I mention brands like Pentax (even Sony). ...
Most of them are very narrow-minded IMO. They can't see past Nikon. Nothing else is good enough.

I had two Sony models (A200 and A300). The A300 had at the time the best LV implementation of all DSLRs. Today I imagine other brands have improved their systems. They also had the widest DR (very important to me...I sold my Oly E510, which I really liked, because of its high tedency of clipping highlights). I also had the Pentax K100D, which I liked. The nice thing about Pentax and Sony is the IBIS. It really helps when using old glass.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:44 AM   #29

Tullio,

Most nikon users are not like that. Think the ones that do, have the number two complex, since canon is the biggest boy and number one is the camera world. But it is rear running into this. But when you do, they tend to be loud about it. So it gives the nikon niche a bad image. Nikon do make some great cameras.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:30 PM   #30

I know quite a few Nikonians and they all share the same sentiment...it's either Nikon or nothing. They don't even want to check any other brand. Sure Nikon makes some real good cameras, but so does many other manufacturers. They also make mediocre cameras (particularly in the P&S department). I understand a certain amount of brand loyalty but the attitude is the thing that gets to me!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote