Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:34 PM   #31

My wife has some friends that shoot nikon dslr. They love them, but they are really impress with my T1i and the photo it can produce. But I have ran into some Nikon fanatics also. And I just ignore them.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:19 PM   #32

Nikons, Macs, BMWs .... there are fanatics for everything. All that matters is whether you are satisfied with what you have
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:05 PM   #33

hay I have 2 out of 3 you listed, are we saying that the is s snobbish click there. just kidding. I totally agree, if you are happy with your product, that is all that matters.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:19 PM   #34

Just came across "Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1K". HD Video with continuous AF. The face Recognition feature also remembers individual faces! Specs look impressive.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:26 PM   #35

It is a really nice camera. But it is m4/3 format. So it is not a dslr, it is a EVIL. No mirror. The AF is not as good as the ones in a dslr. So it is not ideal for sports. Also m4/3 sensor preform really well upto 800iso. After that it degrade much faster the a APS-C dslr. I just picked up a m4/3 evil camera. They are great for traveling and packing light. But you do not really want to go past 1600iso, as it gets really noise.

But if low light and action is not big on the list. It will take great photos. Just know in advance the limitation of m4/3. Regular 4/3 camera do better, and are acceptable to 3200iso. Like the olympus e30.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:30 PM   #36

If you want to see some low light camparison between m4/3 and aps-c. Check out this thread. I would not pay to much with the tail end of the back and forth. The pictures are taken with a olympus epl-1 and a canon 500D/T1i

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...onic-slrs.html
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:00 PM   #37

I apologize for resurrecting this old thread but it made sense since my current message is a continuation of the same discussion (in order to give context). Anyway, after a lot of discussions (and contemplations), my sister wants to go with a Nikon D5000. She is aware of the good points of Pentax K-x but prefers sticking with a more popular brand.

Now D5000 does not have in-body image stabilization. So is it necessary (or a good idea) to get lenses with image stabilization? I see the following three deals:

1) $849: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Lenses
2) $790: 18-55mm VR Lens + Tamron 70-300mm
3) $796: 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR & 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX

Of course, the price you are paying for (1) is because both lenses have VR. I am favoring this option as well. However, before I make this blind assumption, I want opinions from you guys regarding the need for VR.

Thanks,
Nev
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:15 PM   #38

I use a number of different DSLR cameras. Among them is a Nikon D-5000 which I really like. The attached photo was taken with the D-5000 equipped with a Nikon 55-200mmVR lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:18 PM   #39

on the short zoom it is not as important. But on the long end of the longer zoom it make a big difference. IS more effective and will increase your percentage of keeps at 150-300mm range. Especially if the light is not perfect.

So I vote for the package with IS on the long zoom
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:20 PM   #40

It's always better to have image stabilization than to not have it. But everything is a compromise and sometimes you can do without it. For instance, if you'll always be using flash or fast shutter speeds, IS isn't important. And the 55-200 VR and the non-VR are about equally good, so the 3rd deal could save you $50 that you could use for SD Cards, etc.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote