Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:26 PM   #41

One more question, did your sister go out and handle all the cameras you listed?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:54 PM   #42

Thanks to all for the valuable input. TCav, how do say that 55-200 VR and the non-VR are about equally good? At the long end, won't a little shake of my hands cause blur in pictures? Also the flash would be ineffective if the scene is far away. Or are they almost good because of the high quality of the non-VR lens or the camera itself? Also I don't think the difference is just $50 because I think the non-VR lens packages came with case, extra battery, memory card, etc.

Shoturtle, my sister unfortunately did not handle any of the cameras. I asked her to do that although I sometimes get the feeling that she is passionate about SLRs although she does not know fully what she is getting into. I guess I have to put some sense into her

Thanks Sarah for the picture. It looks good. But can you also post a 100% crop of the image?

Thanks,
Nev
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:03 PM   #43

They are equal in optics, but the VR adds to the performance of the lens. If you have the VR off, the lenses would perform almost identical. But with the add VR, like you said out of flash range, it will give it an edge.

Going with the big name brand does not always mean you are getting the right camera. She really should try out the k-x. It is selling for 700 dollars with 2 lens with the 300mm reach and 630 for the 2 lens kit with 200mm reach. And it is the better camera. And it is not a no name. Pentax has a very long history of camera making. Actually long then sony but about the same as konica/menolta.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 1, 2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: typo
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:09 PM   #44

nevjac-

I have both versions of the 55-200mm lens and I can tell that there is indeed a difference between the lenses, particularly at the end of the zoom. So the statement that there is no difference really does not fly with me, because you cannot always increase to the necessary shutter speed needed in low light conditions.

Here is a 100% crop of the previous photo that you asked for in the other post.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:32 PM   #45

I am with you on the brand name Shoturtle but I've been finding it hard to convince my sister. And I have a correction to make - my sister has checked out Nikon D5000 at a store and she really liked it. Of course, she's used my Sony A300 too and she likes that as well. Getting access to Pentax cameras is a pain .... even here in Boston. Bestbuy, Ritz ... none of them carry it in their stores. If I get a chance to play with this camera, I can give my honest feedback to her.

And thanks Sarah for the requested image. It looks very similar to ones my A300 takes. I agree with you on the need for VR. If I got the non-VR one to save a few bucks, I might be at a point where I don't want to pay for a new VR lens nor discard my old one. So I think I should make investment on the good lens in my first buy.
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:36 PM   #46

nevjac,

There are couple of pentax shooters in the boston area, you may want to post something in the pentax forum on steve's asking where there is a pentax dslr dealer in the boston area.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:47 PM   #47

Very nice and crisp shot, Sarah. A co-worker bought the D5000 with the 35mm prime and really likes it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevjac View Post
...I agree with you on the need for VR. If I got the non-VR one to save a few bucks, I might be at a point where I don't want to pay for a new VR lens nor discard my old one. So I think I should make investment on the good lens in my first buy.
That's why I have a preference for cameras with IBIS. You pay for it once and it works with any lens. It's awesome!

Tullio
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:57 PM   #49

IBIS pentax, olympus, and sony. I have a canon, and all my darker lenses have IS, only my bright lens, fast primes, don't have IS. Because it helps allot when lighting is not right and you can not open wide enough. But that said, as a IBIS owner also. I will be adding a non IS fast prime to my IBIS camera. And at 1.7 with IS, that is a hell of allot of low light performance.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:01 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
IBIS pentax, olympus, and sony...
There's plenty to choose from between these three brands!

Tullio