Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:48 AM   #1

Default Which point/shoot for action/lowlight

which point & shoot is the best out now for action shots, low light, some typical photo's I take with our canon sd1000 are below

must be compact too, I carry the sd1000 in my fanny pack, it gets beat up pretty good, my only real complaint is it's glass is pretty small so it's not the best in the woods where lighting is low, and a lot of shots are slightly out of focus

I think moving to the newer IS canon's may be my best choice? It would probably help the focus a little

These are some shots from last weekend, typical photos, I rarely try for action shots because they typically blur too much, and the sd1000 is very slow, there's a couple second lag between shots

mega72a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:18 AM   #2

PS I've changed my mind on the canon upgrade

these two both look very tempting

casio EX-FC150
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...50-review.html
shot to shot delay is kinda bad, but focus is very fast, does anyone know if high speed mode (44fps) is constantly keeping action in focus properly?

samsung TL350
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/samsung_tl350/

it looks like the samsung has slightly better full resolution high speed, at 10fps but no reviews post power up to shot time, or focus to shot delay

I'm not sure how these would compare in burst compared to my nikon d50, I just hold that shutter button down, it's about 2.5fps with my 18-200 lens, takes some great shots
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:49 AM   #3

mega-

Personally I would avaoid that Casio, but perhaps that is just me. The camera previous to the new TL-350 from Samsung is the TL-320. The Tl-320 is currently selling for $(US) 198.00 and it ois a very good camera.

The TL-350 has just been introduced and thus, there are no reviews yet. We will seel the TL-350 on dealer shelves and reviews published probably by the end of April.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:24 AM   #4

why dont you like that casio?

One of the problems I have with my sd1000, in continous mode it does not refocus on the focus point (I leave it centered) so 1-2 shots are in focus the rest are blurry
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:36 AM   #5

mega-

By and large I have not had good image quality from Casio cameras. So I have come to pretty much ignore them. However, I must admit that Steve's review was glowingly positive. I will follow up more and keep an open mind.

www.imagingresources.com faults the Casio FC-150 for lacking a wide angle position on it zoom and for center image softness.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:13 PM   #6

IS is a good feature to have, but it's not going to help the camera focus. It has nothing to do with focus. It just makes your slight hand shaking blur the shot less, and so you can usually get a good shot at a shutter speed which is maybe a couple of stops slower than what is usually considered the slowest speed a person can handhold.

Having just gone through the whole exercise of buying a new pocket digicam, and through 5 of them in the process, I think that when deciding, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Differences in image quality and performance which are like great chasms on internet forums are almost irrelevant in the real world.

If you're interested in low light, then go for the one that has the fastest lens, like an f2.0 or f2.4... and certainly no higher than 2.8. Cameras can only rely on low light tricks so much to get you those shots. A one or 2 stop difference in aperture size is huge when it comes to low light photography. This usually means staying away from mega-zooms. Also, the faster lens (smaller f-stop) allows the same shot to be taken at a faster shutter speed, which helps with action shots too.

I would recommend actually trying the cameras you like, because most of them are almost useless for action shots. They have way too much shutter lag. You press the button and it seems like an eternity before the shutter reacts.
starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
I would recommend actually trying the cameras you like, because most of them are almost useless for action shots. They have way too much shutter lag. You press the button and it seems like an eternity before the shutter reacts.
wait what? The cameras I listed show almost zero shutter lag, that's one of the things I like about our sd1000 we have now, almost no shutter lag. But the image quality on the sd1000 is not the best, it shows it's age
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:15 AM   #8

still undecided, definitely buying a new p&s that I can bring on trail rides, but still dont know which one to buy
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:45 AM   #9

mega-

If you want a slim, small profile camera check out the Panasonic ZR1 or the Samsung TL-320.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Having just gone through the whole exercise of buying a new pocket digicam, and through 5 of them in the process, I think that when deciding, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Differences in image quality and performance which are like great chasms on internet forums are almost irrelevant in the real world.
starling - which camera did you end up purchasing?
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote