Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:58 PM   #1

Default Need helping finding a great camera for Italy

Hey everyone: I've been reading a bunch of posts and I am still unsure on what to consider when getting a new camera.

While in Italy, when I'm not eating, I plan on touring the countryside and taking photos of artworks and buildings.

I know that many people look down upon picking a camera based on the amount of zoom or the amount of megapixels. So, basically, I'm looking for a camera that ...

1) Has image stabilization
2) Easily takes panoramic pics
3) Is compact-ish (no matter what, I'll look like a tourist, so this isn't a biggie)
4) Is easy to use, and
5) Will help me meet my future Italian bride.

Number 5 is mostly optional

A friend recommeded the Canon PowerShot SX20IS and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35. What I read about the Canon is that the image quality isn't as great as the Panasonic. Are there others to consider? I don't leave until May and a bunch of new models are coming out this month.

All help is greatly appreciated and may result in pizzelles being made and shipped. Thanks for reading!
waterhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:19 PM   #2

panasonic FZ35 or FZ38, canon SX210. Will give you the zoom you need. Since you are in italia, you may want to take photos of the architecture and you may need the zoom to isolate on certain aspect. There are some fantastic building in Milan and Rome. Never get tired of visit those 2 cities.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:24 PM   #3

waterhand-

Determine how much zoom you really need. Between the Canon SX-20 and the Panasonic FZ-35, the FZ-35 is the better camera. However it is 14 ounces in weight and it is a fairly large camera which runs contrary to desire for a smaller discrete camera, so you can meet the beautiful Italian woman.

The Samsung HZ15Z, or HZ35Z might better meet your needs.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:32 PM   #4

Well if you want to meet an italian bride the canon SX210 would be a better choice. You will see that in italia, fashion, style is key. Big names like canon, panasonic, nikon are more well known and looked up as having the right gear. Saying that, a leica would win you, but the Lux do not have the zoom you want.

On that point bring you best clothes with you if you want to find an italian bride. I am dead serious. You need to look the part in cities like Milan and Rome.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies! I did try to look up the Samsung models, but I couldn't find them. Do they go by different names?

As for the Canon SX210, even based on the sample photos on Canon's own site, there sadly seems to be plenty of noise at full zoom. But, it does come in gold which the future Mrs. might enjoy. Since it is more compact than the other ones, I'll have to compare it to the Samsung model.

Oh, and I'm already planning on buying a couple of nice suits for me to wear on those Italian nights.
waterhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:35 AM   #6

My guess is that you'd be taking a lot of photos of buildings, so I would consider the performance at wide angles to be a priority as well. Watch out for rectilinear distortion (pincushion or barrel distortion) at short focal lengths.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhand View Post
Thanks for the replies! I did try to look up the Samsung models, but I couldn't find them. Do they go by different names?

As for the Canon SX210, even based on the sample photos on Canon's own site, there sadly seems to be plenty of noise at full zoom. But, it does come in gold which the future Mrs. might enjoy. Since it is more compact than the other ones, I'll have to compare it to the Samsung model.

Oh, and I'm already planning on buying a couple of nice suits for me to wear on those Italian nights.
That is a good idea with the suites
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:43 PM   #8
Super Moderator

For meeting girls nothing is better than a Leica M. It's a great conversation piece and of course a wonderful camera. The kind of girls who know what it is will be very sophisticated and interesting, and possibly wealthy too. Digital or film- doesn't matter.

There is nothing in particular that makes a camera more suitable for use in Italy than in any other country.

A wife would be a much better souvenir than a photograph anyway. Yes, definitely a Leica!

If a Leica is too expensive then you want a cool camera. That rules out practically all DSLR cameras and digital P&S cameras too. The new m4/3 cameras are quite cool. Try the Olympus E-P1 or E-P2 with the Panasonic 20mm pancake lens. Alternatively an Olympus OM1 film camera would work well too or perhaps the Mamiya 7II. An 8x10 field camera is a great conversation starter, but quite unwieldly and difficult to carry in your luggage. Ooh - or a Rolleiflex TLR!

This is definitely the best thread ever started in this forum: "What's the best camera for finding me a wife?" Totally awesome! :-)

The best site I know for looking for cool cameras: http://tokyocamerastyle.com/

Last edited by peripatetic; Mar 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:47 PM   #9

I have to agree the Leica is the Bulgari, Gucci, and Prada of the camera world. With a matching price tag. Lux 4 is a nice little point and shoot from Leica.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:57 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I have to agree the Leica is the Bulgari, Gucci, and Prada of the camera world. With a matching price tag. Lux 4 is a nice little point and shoot from Leica.
Hehe, sometimes it's the Hermes of the camera world. :-)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/16/l...rice-you-cant/