Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:53 AM   #1

Default 1st DSLR (budget range)

Hey guys (and girls),

I'm just new to steves digicams (as well as to dslr's).
But I thought why not, after reading my ass off on different forums, post a thread of my own and ask for your expert opinnions

This is my situation:
I'm new to dslr, but very well willing to go deeper into the world of dslr's
However my girlfriend also wants to use it every once in a while and she's not that much into these things.
The primary goal of the camera is to use it on holidays etc. For instance I'm going to Boston this June and to Brasil in August (I'm from Holland btw).
So I would love to shoot some nice landscapes and architecture.

Some other preferences:
Money I've got to spend on the whole package (for this year) is max $800,-
Primary focus is on landscapes and architecture but extra option for video would be nice.
If I really enjoy using a dslr I would probably want to buy other lenses later on.
Some automatic settings for my girlfriend would be nice.
If possible an hdmi connector would also be very welcome.

I've seen serveral camera's which could meet most of my criteria like the Pentax K-x full kit, the Nikon d5000 and Canon EOS 450d though the last two are a bit more expensive than the first.
Could you give me any recommendations (not specifically on the mentioned models) regarding my first dslr.

It is very much appreciated.

Carlo
JC de Jonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:55 AM   #2

Carlo-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Of course, I realize that price to vary from one country to another. The least expensive DSLR that incorporates video here in the USA, is the Pentax Kx. The Canon 450D does not include video, but the Nikon D-5000 does.

The Kx has received excellent professional reviews, and is a very good camera. Here in the USA, the Kx model equipped with the Pentax 18-55mm "kit" lens is selling for around $(US)500.00. There are also two lens kits that include either the Pentax 50-200mm lens, or the Pentax 55-300mm lens.

Your desire for landscape and architectural photos, could be met initially by the kit lens. However, you would probably want a dedicated wide angle lens. Please tell us a bit about your photo experience, and the camera you are currently using? Thanks in advance for that information. We have a good beginning to our discussion.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:21 AM   #3

To add, if you are looking camera with great low ability, the pentax K-x is the best in the entry level segment. With the most features. The 2 lens kit will cost you about 700 dollars with the larger zoom.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:09 PM   #4

Hi.
Thanks already for your reactions,
Currently I'm using a normal point and shoot camera, a canon digital ixus 60 to be precise.
I used it primarily for taking pictures at parties, holidays etc so nothing special.
Indeed I've seen great reviews on the pentax K-x however I read that there was something with the automatic focus, I'm not sure what it was exactly... but I guess it was with not showing focus points. Could someone fill me in on this?
Are there any other camera recommendations in the budget segment which are good at landscapes and architecture?

Thanks

Carlo
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:27 PM   #5

Carlo-

Thanks for your reply. Here is the information that you need regarding focus points. Yes, the Pentax Kx does have multiple focus points. However, unlike a good number of DSLR cameras available today. When the user is sighting through the optical viewfinder, conventionally, a small LED light shows up inside the optical viewfinder, indicating exact what point within the photo environment that the camera is using to focus upon.

On the Kx, the LED lighting up inside optical viewfinder as a part of the focusing process, indicating exactly where the Kx is focusing is missing. For some folks, myself among them, that is a deal breaker. For the majority of the Kx users, that does not seem to be an issue at all. So, it is purely a personal decision. I hope that clarifies the issue.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:14 PM   #6

Thank you Sarah Joyce,
this makes it much clearer.
I can imagine that such a focus light in the optical viewfinder can be really useful.
I have no experience with this but something is telling me that I would rather have this focus indication.. especially when photographing landscapes.
Is pentax the only brand lacking this?

What could be other potential good beginner camera's which have more ore less the attributes I described above.
Note the prices in the US are more or less the same as in Europe, and otherwise importing would not be a problem.
Furthermore I believe I would rather have a good camera without e.g. movie ability which is cheaper so that I can buy a good wide angle lens with it... than a more expensive one which might have additional features I perhaps only use 5 times a year.
Thanks for the fast replies!.

Carlo
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:20 PM   #7

If you set your focal point on the camera. Then the light is not a big issue. As you know which point you set up.

Yes the pentax is the only that lack the lights. But the dots are there.

If you want great low light and HD, the 500D is another good option. It has the best AF system in the segment and the largest lens selections to chose from in the DSLR world like all canon's. But it is more expensive. K-x gives you 2 lens in the US 18-55 and 55-300mm for 700 dollars. The 500D in the US is 730 with only one lens. I personally shoot the 500D. It was the class leader till the T2i in the entry level market.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:30 PM   #8

So basically for a beginner package you would advise me the pentax? Moreover because it has good value for the money and the total kit with two lenses falls within my budget?
The only drawback for me not buying the pentax was the light but do the benefits of this light outweigh the increase in price of for example a 500d? (yes I know it is also a personal opinion but I would love to hear some experienced dslr users)
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:39 PM   #9

I have them on my 500D when I shoot my brother's K-x and I grew up with SLR's. It does not bother me. He had never used a DSLR before, and need a good low light dslr on a tight budget. I recommended the pentax. And he has been happy with it so far. If you grew up with the focal points lighting up. The you will miss it. But if you did not. You really will not miss it I think.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:29 AM   #10

I had my first physical experience with the pentax k-x, the nikon d5000 and the canon 450d and the 500d.
I must say that the pentax felt both for me as for my girlfriend the most comfortable.
So I'm intending to buy the pentax.
Once I have it I will post some (beginner) experiences.