Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:19 PM   #1

Default New compact P&S

I have been looking for a new Point & Shoot for a couple of weeks. I am replacing a Canon SD400 that isn't working very good anymore.

I am an extremely amateur photographer. I will be taking pictures of my kids for the most part, both indoors and outdoors. I am wanting a compact camera that I can fit in my pants pocket that has at least 5x optical zoom that is in the $200 price range (give or take a little).

I want it the shutter lag to be minimal when in auto focus mode, as that is what I will shoot with most often, and with kids picture perfect moments pass quickly.

I bought a Samsung HZ15W, but it is a little bigger than I would like and I think I am going to return it. It also seems to have a long shutter lag, but that is probably because I haven't messed with the out of the box settings. I have recently looked at the Fuji F70EXR and the Panasonic DMC-FS15. Are these good cameras? Anything else that I should consider?
Muley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:28 PM   #2

Muley-

The Panasonic FS-15 and the ZR1 are both good choices, and they are much smaller physically. Check it out, but, I would avoid the Fuji F-70EXR. The F-70 EXR is a pretty complex camera with a substantial learning curve, in my experience.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:01 PM   #3

I thought the ZR1 was bad for indoor shots because of the weak flash? Does the FS15 have those same limitations with indoor shots?

Also, any thoughts on the Sony W370?
Muley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:26 PM   #4

muley-
Yes, the ZR1 and FS15 share the same problem of a small, weak built n the W-37ot-in flash unit. I have some positive experience with the Sony W-350, but no experience with the W-370.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote