Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:12 PM   #1

Default Help me choose

Greetings,
I currently own a Canon A540, which was my first digital camera I bought a few years ago. I have only used it for family snapshots and when traveling. We will be doing a lot of travelling soon and I would like to get a new camera. I am working on developing my photography skills and hope to move beyond just using auto mode to more precisely control pictures I take.

Primary requirements are picture quality, compact (easy to carry), and suitable for landscape, architecture and other travel type pictures. Indoor is secondary. I prefer to pick the right camera and then consider the cost. Would like to have the camera in hand by the end of April.

I have read about and considered many cameras and I think these represent distinct choices.
I would appreciate any thoughts or insight you can provide - I am having a difficult time deciding which way to go.

1. Canon SX210 or Panasonic ZS5. I think I prefer the zs5 because of the wider lens and less dense sensor.

2. Canon S90. Go for picture quality and control, not much zoom

3. Sony HX5V/WX1. Latest technology, interesting features, not much control.

Other choices are of less interest for various reasons. For example, Sony H20 has a lens cap and not very wide lens.
SoManyChoices is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:27 AM   #2

somanychoices-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted you dropped by.

Watch out! The Canon SX-210 at 14mp and the Panasonic ZS-5 at 12mp have almost the same pixel density. The current ZS1 at 10mp has less pixel density and a lower price.

The only camera that can compete with the amazing Canon S-90, is the soon to be replaced Panasonic LX3, and the newly introduced Samsung EX-1 cameras.

The initial images from the Sony HX-5 have not been overly impressive. The lack of much control is also an issue. The TX-5/TX-7 are shaping up to be better performers.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 8:29 PM   #3

Thank you for helping me narrow down my choices. It seems like there are few choices if I want a lower density sensor and full exposure control. The S90 or LX3? At a lower price point, the SX120?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:02 PM   #4

I really do not believe that you would be happy at all with the Canon SX-120. It has no wide angle, no HD video, and due to the two AA batteries supplying power, the shot to shot times are quite slow.

If saving money is the issue, then consider the Samsung TL-320 at the very same price point ($199.00). It is a feature rich and very viable alternative camera choice.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sa...56_iHrqv-L.jpg

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 5, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 6:20 PM   #5

Went looking at cameras today and bought a Sony H20. I decided I wanted zoom and it seemed the best fit for me. Thought the lens cap would annoy me, but it doesn't seem to. Overall, I am pleased so far. Have 2 weeks to decide if I want to keep it. Thanks again for the insight.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:34 PM   #6

Congratulations, somanychoices-

The Sony H-20 is a top pick and the fact that it has come down in price in the last week just makes it an even better deal.

Sarah Joyce