Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
Chato & Strobe:

OK, I see that I didn't completely express myself as clearly as I should have.

When I say "remote control," I'm not talking about some device to fully control every possible aspect and function of the camera. I'm just talking about basic shutter pressing. So I wouldn't need a complicated, sophisticated mini-computer as my handheld remote control. All I want to do is simply have the capacity to "take a picture" -- i.e. press the shutter button -- without having to touch the camera. I'm not talking about adjusting the white balance or the f-Stop or any detailed photographic controls.

As far as the remote control's capabilities, I imagine all it needs at maximum is two functions/buttons: One to "press the shutter," and possibly another button to "turn the camera on and off" -- i.e. a power button. This second capability might be necessary because most cameras have an automatic "turn themselves off" time limit, so that if I put the camera in place and then wait an hour for an animal to wander by, by that point that camera will be "off." So I'd press the remote control's "power" button to turn the camera on, and then once it's on, press the "shutter" button to take a basic picture.

Most cameras now "remember" settings from session to session, so all I'd have to do is fiddle with the controls ahead of time to get the settings I want, and next time when the camera is turned on and I take a picture remotely, I'll already have the settings I want. And in my particular instance, I don't need special settings anyway, and can just set the camera to "Auto" and just take a remote snapshot, letting the camera adjust automatically for exposure, etc. -- just like most point-and-shoot digital cameras already do.

As to the radio frequency-vs-infrared issue that Strobe brought up: Yes, that's correct, RF is probably what I'm looking for. What about Wi-Fi (such as what Nikon uses) -- does that count as "radio frequency," or is it an entirely separate category of wireless communication? And then there's Bluetooth -- could that theoretically be used for a basic controller?

So, to further refine the question:

I'm looking for a camera with a simple remote control that has the capacity to press the camera's shutter remotely, and possibly turn the camera on/off, but nothing really beyond that limited basic functionality. I'd like the camera to be as small and light as possible -- light enough to be attached to a kite without weighing it down too much. DSLRs are all way too heavy and delicate for that. And I'd need the remote control to use either radio frequency (RF), and/or Wi-Fi, and/or Bluetooth -- and not infrared, which would present too many problems.

So far, some nice responses and interest, but no one has yet found such a camera! I'm very surprised -- I thought there would be plenty of them.
Ahh. Well, you can hook your camera up to a motion detector...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:33 PM   #12

Chato:
"...you can hook your camera up to a motion detector..."

Well, perhaps that might be feasible for just the tripod shots, but those are only a minor aspect of my goal; the real thing I'm most interested in doing is attaching the camera to a kite, and/or a bunch of helium balloons, and/or at the top of a long pole, to get semi-aerial shots that couldn't be gotten any other way. Needless to say, the kite and/or the balloons will be well-secured with a strong, not-too-long string! Don't want the camera floating away. Obviously, a motion detector wouldn't work in those situations.

How about I phrase it from the reverse angle:
What if you (or anyone reading this) wanted to take pictures with a camera attached to a kite or a bunch of helium balloons. How would go about doing that? (And I'm taking about several pictures over a long span of time, at moments of my choosing, not just one picture per flight taken with a delay timer which I set into motion before getting the kite airborne.)
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Chato:
"...you can hook your camera up to a motion detector..."

Well, perhaps that might be feasible for just the tripod shots, but those are only a minor aspect of my goal; the real thing I'm most interested in doing is attaching the camera to a kite, and/or a bunch of helium balloons, and/or at the top of a long pole, to get semi-aerial shots that couldn't be gotten any other way. Needless to say, the kite and/or the balloons will be well-secured with a strong, not-too-long string! Don't want the camera floating away. Obviously, a motion detector wouldn't work in those situations.

How about I phrase it from the reverse angle:
What if you (or anyone reading this) wanted to take pictures with a camera attached to a kite or a bunch of helium balloons. How would go about doing that? (And I'm taking about several pictures over a long span of time, at moments of my choosing, not just one picture per flight taken with a delay timer which I set into motion before getting the kite airborne.)
The D2x (now obsolete) has a wireless remote to activate the shutter. True, it's line of sight. But your above example is "line of sight."

My Sigma, DP2 does not have a remote, but it does allow you to take pictures at timed intervals (which you can set, anywhere from seconds or hours) until the battery runs out.

I would assume (Woe is me) that many modern cameras have these options.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:04 AM   #14

Chato:
Thanks! Well, if your suggestions are the only solutions available, then I guess it's not possible.

Reasons they won't work:

As mentioned, the D2x and other big dSLRs are way way way too heavy and large to be attached to a kite (as mentioned earlier). So I can't use those.

Furthermore, the "line of sight" for infrared remotes (also as previously mentioned) invariably needs to be toward the front of the camera face, where the detector is always placed in dSLRs, and under the circumstances I'm planning, the camera face will not be pointing toward me, but in a totally different (and/or totally unpredictable) direction. (In other words, I don't want to take a picture of myself below on the ground, which is what would result if the camera was facing toward me to enable the line-of-sight infrared shutter release. The airborne camera optimally should be facing away from my location.)

As to your second suggestion, when I say "several pictures over a long span of time, at moments of my choosing," I mean that I need to be able to decide when the right moment is to take a picture when that moment is happening. Setting up a delay timer to take pictures at some interval ahead of time won't do the trick, because I'd have no way to know ahead of time when I want the pictures to be taken.

Oh well! I guess it just isn't possible to have the kind of remote control camera I described, since no one knows of any camera with the features I want! I guess I'll just have to wait another year and see if some enterprising camera company wises up and makes this possible. So strange.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:42 AM   #15
Administrator

You can find wireless shutter releases for a number of camera models. Third party manufacturers offer them using RF, too.

Most are designed for larger cameras. But, if you look through the supported cameras list for a given remote shutter product, you may find a smaller model that does what you're looking for.

Here are several pages of listings at a reputable Hong Kong based vendor (note that some are IR and some are RF):

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=285
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:00 AM   #16

I've just ordered off of Ebay a wireless remote shutter for my Canon G11 for 25.00 - from Hong Kong......so this may be a possibility for you. The G11 is a P&S that offers manual control as well as Auto and Scene mode.

The remote is non-Infra Red as it connects right into the side of the camera's jack and can sit in the hotshoe or dangle to the side of the camera.

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Mar 7, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:57 PM   #17

JimC + Shutterbug74:

Thanks very much for the links and ideas.

However, I'm still not clear on this issue! I had already seen that third-party vendors sell remote-control doohickeys for which they list the "compatible" cameras, but when I then go through those lists and look for the non-dSLRs on the lists, and then go to the official "specifications" page for those cameras, it invariably says that they are NOT wireless compatible or capable!

For example, I did exactly what Shutterbug74 suggested -- look into the G11. But on the G11's "Specifciations" page at the official Canon site, it says, "Wireless Control: Not available." That is in contrast to Canon's Specification pages for advanced dSLRs, which say, "Remote Control: Canon N3 type terminal."

I took from this that, in Canon's descriptions of their own cameras, the EOS is wireless capable, but the G11 isn't capable.

However, exactly as JimC and Shutterbug74 have correctly pointed out, if one goes to various third-party photo-accessory sites, they sell wireless remote controls which list all sorts of "compatible models," and do in fact list the G11 and other similar "advanced prosumer"-level models from Canon and other makers.

So: Who do I believe? It comes down to which company do I trust more -- the camera manufacturer (who insists that the cameras don't do wireless), or the third-party vendors (who insist that the various models can do wireless). I have decided to err on the side of caution, and not invest $$price-of-G11/camera$$ + $$price-of-remote$$, only to later discover that Canon was telling the truth, that wireless is "not available" for the G11.

Shutterbug74: How sure are you that the wireless remote will indeed work with your G11? When the remote shows up, and you test it out successfully, can you post a description of the results here on this thread? I'd be VERY interested to know what happened. If you indeed are able to press the shutter on the G11 with a wireless remote, then perhaps ALL the other similar-level models listed on the third-party-vendor's site are indeed wireless-compatible as claimed, and that Canon (and the other manufacturers) simply don't want consumers to know about this function because they aren't the ones selling the accessory.

Has anybody else had success ordering a third-party wireless remote for use with a non-dSLR camera which "officially" is not wireless-compatible?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:47 PM   #18

I agree with you - especially since the latest iterations of mobile wifi and bluetooth as used in phones etc, are designed to be compact and low power.

There are even small remotes for iPods that have an LCD that replicates in real-time the screen on the iPod!

So imagine having say half a dozen buttons with a small colour LCD, not line of site, and virtually full control over the interface and majority of camera controls from up to 20 feet away through walls!

All achievable with today's technology. Maybe this would be better than the GPS function in the new TZ10 etc?

Quote:
Chato & Strobe:

OK, I see that I didn't completely express myself as clearly as I should have.

When I say "remote control," I'm not talking about some device to fully control every possible aspect and function of the camera. I'm just talking about basic shutter pressing. So I wouldn't need a complicated, sophisticated mini-computer as my handheld remote control. All I want to do is simply have the capacity to "take a picture" -- i.e. press the shutter button -- without having to touch the camera. I'm not talking about adjusting the white balance or the f-Stop or any detailed photographic controls.

As far as the remote control's capabilities, I imagine all it needs at maximum is two functions/buttons: One to "press the shutter," and possibly another button to "turn the camera on and off" -- i.e. a power button. This second capability might be necessary because most cameras have an automatic "turn themselves off" time limit, so that if I put the camera in place and then wait an hour for an animal to wander by, by that point that camera will be "off." So I'd press the remote control's "power" button to turn the camera on, and then once it's on, press the "shutter" button to take a basic picture.

Most cameras now "remember" settings from session to session, so all I'd have to do is fiddle with the controls ahead of time to get the settings I want, and next time when the camera is turned on and I take a picture remotely, I'll already have the settings I want. And in my particular instance, I don't need special settings anyway, and can just set the camera to "Auto" and just take a remote snapshot, letting the camera adjust automatically for exposure, etc. -- just like most point-and-shoot digital cameras already do.

As to the radio frequency-vs-infrared issue that Strobe brought up: Yes, that's correct, RF is probably what I'm looking for. What about Wi-Fi (such as what Nikon uses) -- does that count as "radio frequency," or is it an entirely separate category of wireless communication? And then there's Bluetooth -- could that theoretically be used for a basic controller?

So, to further refine the question:

I'm looking for a camera with a simple remote control that has the capacity to press the camera's shutter remotely, and possibly turn the camera on/off, but nothing really beyond that limited basic functionality. I'd like the camera to be as small and light as possible -- light enough to be attached to a kite without weighing it down too much. DSLRs are all way too heavy and delicate for that. And I'd need the remote control to use either radio frequency (RF), and/or Wi-Fi, and/or Bluetooth -- and not infrared, which would present too many problems.

So far, some nice responses and interest, but no one has yet found such a camera! I'm very surprised -- I thought there would be plenty of them.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:59 PM   #19

Addendum:

http://www.zap-shot.com/

I did a bit of research using google and amazon and found this company that makes custom wireless remote controls for dslrs. It seems they utilise the remote socket I think, so perhaps a P&S camera that has the remote control socket could theoretically be controlled by this device?

Perhaps if you contact them and ask if they have any P&S plans in their development pipeline...maybe there would be some demand from LX3 and G-series owners...

Good luck!
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:02 PM   #20

Cupcake,

I am VERY certain the remote wireless works on the G11 and yes, you are correct, the specifications on the Canon site do not list a wireless remote because they do not make one for it. However, there is a jack on the side of the camera which allows this to be utlizied by a remote shutter made for a G11. There is a youtube link which shows one being used. I don't have the address but if you enter in "G11 Wireless Remote" you'll see the link listed midway down the screen.

I haven't received it yet...it probably won't be here until next week sometime.

Quote:
JimC + Shutterbug74:

Thanks very much for the links and ideas.

However, I'm still not clear on this issue! I had already seen that third-party vendors sell remote-control doohickeys for which they list the "compatible" cameras, but when I then go through those lists and look for the non-dSLRs on the lists, and then go to the official "specifications" page for those cameras, it invariably says that they are NOT wireless compatible or capable!

For example, I did exactly what Shutterbug74 suggested -- look into the G11. But on the G11's "Specifciations" page at the official Canon site, it says, "Wireless Control: Not available." That is in contrast to Canon's Specification pages for advanced dSLRs, which say, "Remote Control: Canon N3 type terminal."

I took from this that, in Canon's descriptions of their own cameras, the EOS is wireless capable, but the G11 isn't capable.

However, exactly as JimC and Shutterbug74 have correctly pointed out, if one goes to various third-party photo-accessory sites, they sell wireless remote controls which list all sorts of "compatible models," and do in fact list the G11 and other similar "advanced prosumer"-level models from Canon and other makers.

So: Who do I believe? It comes down to which company do I trust more -- the camera manufacturer (who insists that the cameras don't do wireless), or the third-party vendors (who insist that the various models can do wireless). I have decided to err on the side of caution, and not invest $$price-of-G11/camera$$ + $$price-of-remote$$, only to later discover that Canon was telling the truth, that wireless is "not available" for the G11.

Shutterbug74: How sure are you that the wireless remote will indeed work with your G11? When the remote shows up, and you test it out successfully, can you post a description of the results here on this thread? I'd be VERY interested to know what happened. If you indeed are able to press the shutter on the G11 with a wireless remote, then perhaps ALL the other similar-level models listed on the third-party-vendor's site are indeed wireless-compatible as claimed, and that Canon (and the other manufacturers) simply don't want consumers to know about this function because they aren't the ones selling the accessory.

Has anybody else had success ordering a third-party wireless remote for use with a non-dSLR camera which "officially" is not wireless-compatible?
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote