Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:37 PM   #21

Shutterbug74:
OK! Thanks mucho. It does indeed look like the G11 can function with that wireless remote. (I watched the video you mentioned.) So -- success of a sort! That counts as at least ONE non-dSLR that can be operated with a non-infrared wireless remote.

Unfortunately, the G11, while smaller than most dSLRs, is still among the biggest and chunkiest and heaviest of the Canon PowerShot line. So, while it's good to know that at least one non-dSLR is wireless compatible, it now makes me think that there must be others as well.

I'm already pretty keen on buying the new PowerShot SX210 IS when it comes out soon -- 14mp and 14x zoom in a point-and-shoot size is pretty amazing -- and as a result I'd feel like a bozo buying that and buying a G11 just for the sole reason of the G11's remote capabilities. But if I buy just the G11, I'm getting less zoom and less resolution for more money, and I don't need or care about all the other custom controls that G11 offers. Anybody have a clue if the SX210 IS will have the same remote capabilities (probably not, but one can always dream)?

And as far as other manufacturers go: Does anybody know of a RF-remote-compatible camera that is smaller than the Canon G11?
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 3:54 PM   #22

Default remote shutter releases for non-DSLRs

Cupcake,

I too, am more than surprised that non-DSLR cameras, with rare exception, do not have remote shutter release capabilities. You would think that with all their high tech sophistication, most of them would have that feature. Even my old film camera had it. Like you, I also like to take back yard wildlife pictures, particularly, birds, and due to their skittish nature, a remote shutter release would be very advantageous. I do not want to go the DSLR route, for all the obvious reasons of cost, weight, and convenience, so if anyone out there knows of a non-DSLR that's at least as good as my current Panasonic FZ8, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks, Cupcake, I thought I was all alone on wishing for this feature.

Noel
Noel Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:21 AM   #23

Cupcake,

FYI, the new FZ100 has a remote shutter release capability.
Noel Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote