Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:38 PM   #1

Default Nikon or Canon??

I know this is a loaded question, but...I want to purchase a good DSLR on a budget and am looking at the Canon XSi or the Nikon D5000, which I think are in the same league (correct me if I'm wrong on that!) Of course, price is a big issue. Also my main photography will be kids sports, so I will want to get a really good zoom lens, so prices on the compatable lenses for each camera will be a factor too.

Right now I use a Sony Cybershot with a 15x optical zoom, so what size zoom lens would get comparable zoom to that? It is a really good zoom!

Also, I would like video and I know the Canon does not have that (or do they on another model??)

Thanks!
soccermom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:40 PM   #2

Do you do allot of low light?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:08 PM   #3

Not too much, I prefer shooting outdoors if at all possible. I do occasionally shoot some indoor basketball which to me is a lighting nightmare, but mostly soccer, baseball and football.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:21 PM   #4

The XSi is limited to 1600iso, but in it's iso range it is an excellent camera. And it is a excellent landscape camera. It will give you complete access to all of the canon lenses for the eos system. So lenses tend to be a bit less then the nikon. It is a excellent Auto Focus system as canon leads in this department. No HD. This is purely a camera. And right now canon is having instant rebates on it. So it will be at a great price. Think it is going to get phase out. But it does not change the fact that it is a very good performing camera.

The D5000 gives you 720 HD video. A higher iso of 6400, making it a better low light camera. Good Auto Focus system. Not as many lens option as the canon in the assorted price range. Nikon has the best flash system on the market.

Resolution and imagine quality are about the same between the 2 camera.

With the indoor basket ball, neither will be good with the kit lenses even with the kit zoom lenses. To get better indoor basketball you will need to invest in a expensive lenses in to 700+ dollar range.

If you can I would go to the store and see which camera's ergo's fit you taste better. And if you can, take a sd card with you and take some sample pictures and come home and look at it on your computer to see which camera's images you prefer. As each camera and each person's eye prefer different visual que's.

With what you shoot. Either camera would do a very good job.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:23 PM   #5

Also for outdoor sports, the kit zoom lenses will not be great, they are not that fast in auto focusing. You would again need to invest in a 500+ dollar lens with fast auto focusing motors to get better results.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
basket ball, neither will be good with the kit lenses even with the kit zoom lenses. To get better indoor basketball you will need to invest in a expensive lenses in to 700+ dollar range.
Actually that isn't completely necessary. With the Xsi you could invest in the Canon 85mm 1.8 It costs about $380. A bit less than 700+

The 85mm is an outstanding basketball lens assuming you're at floor level (i.e. bottom row of stands preferably near the baseline) or on the baseline.

For the soccer, baseball and football I would have to have a bit more info as to the level of play and where you would be shooting from. Full field baseball for instance would require 400-500mm if you're shooting from off the field (behind the fence). Whereas little league could be shot with 200-300mm depending on where you're shooting from.

There are a variety of lenses out there with prices from $200 - $4000. There are several of us on this forum that shoot sports and we'd be glad to help you out with the pros/cons of various options. But to give you some better advice we need to know some more info. What age groups for each of the sports? All day games or any night games?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:35 PM   #7

follow-up to my previous answer. Nikon also makes a 85mm 1.8. But it won't autofocus on the d5000 as it requires a camera with focus motor. You have to move up to the D90 to get a nikon body with a focus motor.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:43 PM   #8

That is very true John,

The 85mm 1.8 is my favorite lens. If the OP is okay with a fix focal distance. It would be an excellent choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Actually that isn't completely necessary. With the Xsi you could invest in the Canon 85mm 1.8 It costs about $380. A bit less than 700+

The 85mm is an outstanding basketball lens assuming you're at floor level (i.e. bottom row of stands preferably near the baseline) or on the baseline.

For the soccer, baseball and football I would have to have a bit more info as to the level of play and where you would be shooting from. Full field baseball for instance would require 400-500mm if you're shooting from off the field (behind the fence). Whereas little league could be shot with 200-300mm depending on where you're shooting from.

There are a variety of lenses out there with prices from $200 - $4000. There are several of us on this forum that shoot sports and we'd be glad to help you out with the pros/cons of various options. But to give you some better advice we need to know some more info. What age groups for each of the sports? All day games or any night games?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:00 PM   #9

Another indoor basketball option is the canon EF 100mm F2. It is around the same price as the 85mm 420 new and 340 used. But can give you a bit more reach if you are siting a bit further away.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:25 PM   #10

I am shooting mostly day games, and it is Little League age at this point. I have been playing with a friend's Canon Rebel xt and really like the flash power for indoor shots and will try it out this weekend at the baseball field with the Shutter Priority and Sports mode to see how I like the burst, this is what leads me towards the Canon xsi.

Can you sports photographers give me an idea of how close the 200mm zoom lenses will get me to the action? Will I be able to get pretty close to 3rd base players say from the dugout by 1st base? And what camera/lens will autofocus in burst mode best?