Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:56 PM   #11
Administrator

Congrats. I'd make sure to download and install the latest firmware when you get it, as I suspect they've made some improvements that may not be obvious from you can tell from the firmware history docs.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...1-digital.html

Please let us know how you like it and share some images when you get a chance.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:17 AM   #12

And now that the flash is coming, I am also interested in lenses for down the track. The alternative is replacing some tiles in the bathroom and I like the tiles we have.

I have an older KM 17-35 lens, and if I understand correctly in digital terms I really need multiply by 1.5 to get the equivalent focal length. I think I might have read somewhere that's a rebadged sigma lens.

Also the minolta 100-300 which gets a lot of use at model plane competitions I attend.

I mostly use the camera for portrait shooting, often indoors and often at night.

So I was looking at zoom lenses oriented to towards portraiture. One that caught the eye was Sony CZ DT 16-80mm f/3.5-4. Any thoughts on that one? Or other suggestions?
ozboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:43 AM   #13
Administrator

The same thing applies to any lens you use on a dSLR with an APS-C size sensor, whether or not it was designed for that sensor size. You'll need to multiply the focal length by 1.5x to see how angle of view compares.

IOW, your KM 17-35mm f/2.8-4 (D) lens gives you approximately the same angle of view you'd have using a 26-53mm lens on a 35mm camera. That lens appears to have a similar optical design compared to a Tamron (versus Sigma) 17-35mm.

The CZ 16-80mm 3.5-4.5 lens would give you about the same angle of view you'd have using a 24-120mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Note that the Sony CZ 16-80mm is a DT lens, meaning that it's designed for cameras using an APS-C size sensor. So, if you upgraded to a camera using a 35mm film size sensor later (for example, the Sony A850 or Sony A900), you'd need to shoot at reduced resolution (i.e., the camera would crop the image). But, you would probably want a different focal length lens on a camera with a larger sensor anyway.

The focal range available with the 16-80mm would probably be nice, and it tests quite nicely (as you'd expect from a CZ lens).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:44 AM   #14

So here's a photo with the KM lens and the hotshoe flash while I wait for the Metz.

Shows how much you have to know to get a good photo in a hurry.

Some of the mistakes.

1. Forgot to compose, should have closed open door.
2. Indoor action photos without a flash tend to have too much blur.
3. Forgot to focus on the main figure.

Not too sure about the white balance either.
Attached Images

ozboy is offline   Reply With Quote