Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:15 PM   #11

Sorry I've been away from this post for a few days, but I thank you all for weighing in on my question. I really appreciate your advice!

I have finally returned my Canon 960 so I'm now in the process of looking at replacements. I've been to a few of the Big Box stores in town, just getting a feel for what is out there. I am confident that I made the right choice in returning my camera. Compared to the others that I've seen out there, the 960 was just too small to be comfortable. I know it was an ELPH model, but seeing that I tend to keep cameras for a good 5 years at least, I hadn't realized they were getting *THAT* small.

In any case, I'm now in the market for a new camera. I haven't had a chance to find any S90 or G11 to play with yet, but I did get a chance to play with a friend's Sony HX1. I was rather impressed with it. It's much bigger than I'm used to, but it seems like it is so much more of a proper camera than than lower end Powershots that I've used previously. I hadn't considered "megazoom" before as a desired feature, but I think I'd rather have more zoom than megapixels or ultra portability.

I haven't yet read reviews on what people's feelings about the HX-1 and the like, but it's a good starting point for my research. But obviously it has proven that I do want a camera that is just a bit more than your lower end point-and-shoot. I'm not wowed by microsize and infinitymegapixels. But a nice camera that will last us awhile with technology that won't be obsolete in 3 months, let me take some memories from our time abroad, as well as shoot some video and clear pics of our toddler to share with the grandparents are what I really want.

Last edited by SpicyBee; Mar 15, 2010 at 3:30 PM.
SpicyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:02 PM   #12

spicybee-

Thanks for your post The Sony HX-1 is a very capable camera. I believe it is better suited to your needs. I has many unique features such as the Twilight Mode and the Sweep Panorama and its HD video. So I urge you to do some more research on the HX-1.

I shoot with a HX-1 camera. The attached photo was taken without flash, handheld in very poor lighting conditions. I used the Twilight Mode and the HX1 used an ISO setting of ISO 1250. To get the most from the HX1, you may have to sharpen your photo skills.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:04 PM   #13

spicybee-

Here is a 100% crop of the above image.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:12 PM   #14

Just a quick follow-up because I know the suspense had to have been killing you ( or not...) but I finally made a decision and a purchase. After visiting 3 camera shops in town and getting tons of advice locally and online (thanks again, guys!!) I'm now the new owner of an FZ35. Similarly I have also signed myself up for a local photography class so that I can learn to use the camera to its full potential
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:17 PM   #15

Congratulations, SpicyBee-

You have made two very important steps:

(1) You have made your decision and purchased the camera.

(2) You have signed up for a local photography class so you can learn to get the most out of your new Panasonic FZ-35.

That is great.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:15 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyBee View Post
Just a quick follow-up because I know the suspense had to have been killing you ( or not...) but I finally made a decision and a purchase. After visiting 3 camera shops in town and getting tons of advice locally and online (thanks again, guys!!) I'm now the new owner of an FZ35. Similarly I have also signed myself up for a local photography class so that I can learn to use the camera to its full potential
Wow, that's a heck of a jump from the ELPH! Good choice though.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:37 AM   #17

What had actually surprised me through this whole selection and decision process is that I am much more interested in photography than I thought. So to me it's worth the time to learn how to properly use a camera. I'm willing to put in the time because it's something I think I will genuinely enjoy. The Canon Powershots served me well in the past, but I'm ready for something bigger.

I think the photographic enthusiasm on these boards much be contagious!