Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:29 PM   #11

A lot of good advice here. While most have been Sony oriented, mine will be Nikon, but the first two poits I make are the most critical re: which one.

My othe "hobby" is bicycling and Rule #1 is - if it doesn't fit, you won't use it and it becomes an expensive door stop. A camera is very similar - it must feel good and fit you. Where are the locations of the controls, how does it feel in your hands. Go to Best Buy and other stores that stock both models. Play with them. To not be a pest, go to multiple stores. Yesterday I was shopping for a tripod (purchased a Manfrotto today) and researching my next major purchase - upgrade my D40 and is a question of D90 vs D300s. While I was there, I played with the D3000 (D40's replacement model) and the Sony A-230. Immediately noticed the Sony's lack of a full grip with the sharp downslope accomodating only 2 fingers rather than 3 (or 4 when not on the shutter). Looking around, none of the other competitors use that 'design' as they typically keep the grip bulge all the way up.

Next question, after fit, what is the second lens you plan to get. Which one would you prefer. Since you don't have a supply of older lens, compatibility doesn't become an issue. Also, while theoretically you could get an older lens it may not have all the functionality that newer/current lens have.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:35 PM   #12

If you want to use fast prime lens, the nikon dxxxx will cost you more as it does not have a AF motor in the body. The inexpensive primes can only be manually focus on the d3000
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you want to use fast prime lens, the nikon dxxxx will cost you more as it does not have a AF motor in the body. The inexpensive primes can only be manually focus on the d3000
Where is the pulling hair out emoticon when you need it. OP is a beginner, looking for a camera easy to learn. Let's translate. A "prime lens" = a non-zoom fixed focal length lens. Most beginners do not think in terms of prime lens, as zoom is the marketing focus. Most cameras come with a 18-55 zoom, and usually the second lens is is the related 55-200, or 70-300 or whatever. Plus, zooms have excelled in their design performance, particurally compared several decades ago. The other lens is the "walkaround" 18-200. All of them are zooms. A few, like myself, go ultrawide, and the Sigma 10-20 works fine on my D40.

While yes, it is true that many of the Nikon prime lens do not autofocus, particurally below 50mm, Sigma makes several "HSM" models below 50mm. Now if you want a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and currently selling new for $125 new, it is manually operatedon every camera, because that is the way it was designed back in the 60's. I suspect there are some Minolta, and I nkow there are Pentaxs (my first camera in 69) that are manually only. The lens had to be designed to autofocus which was not a concept focus ring/match needle world until the late 70's.

Primes I would like to have? A macro - 60, 85, and 105 nikkors all autofocus with the D3000, and well as 3rd party macros (particurally like the Tamron 90 - available for Nikon and Sony at the same price.) Another prime I would like is the 300mm f4 but it and the uberexpensive 300, 400, 500, 600 fastglass all autofocus on the D3000. Sony doesn't offer that level of optics. Most of the 3rd parties went to zooms in that range. If you go out in the field looking at the "serious birders", few are using primes with most using long zooms.

Frankly, the whole issue of "non-autofocus on the D3000" is rather moot as the selection of lens that will autofocus can at times be overwhelming. Plus, when comparing the identical lens offered by Sigma, Tamron or Tokina, there is almost identical pricing (+/- $20) between Nikon, Sony, and other mounts.

Another point overlooked...what do your friends use that you could "borrow." Nothing better than a free lens, even if only temporary.

Last edited by tizeye; Mar 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:59 PM   #14

Actually back in the days, all slr's came with primes. And you learn form there. So shooting prime gives you more leeway if you are in the right focal length.

But the main point is to get the info out there, for the just incase factor.

I think the d3000 and a230 are pretty much equal. Along with the canon XS. They are the purest entry level dslrs out there. You really do not want to go past 1600iso, as anything pass there are pretty useless do to noise. They are all pretty close in imagine quality from 100-1600iso. Canon and nikon have in lens IS system. The Sony has sensor shift IS. So if you go with inexpensive entry level lens, you get the IS feature with all lenses. Nikon and canon you will need to pay more for IS lenses. So the decision really comes down to options between the sony and nikon.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:00 PM   #15

Price-wise, the Sony A-230 is an excellent value, beating the Nikon D-300 by a good margin. The Sony A-230 DSLR camera is excellent because it makes the transition easy for a P+S user.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:19 AM   #16

Gustafsson-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped my.

As tizeye, made the point, there is no "one size/brand fits all" situation, particularly in DSLR cameras. That is why it is so important to physically handle all of your possible choices before making the purchase. Our hands are different, both in size, and hand span. Getting the DSLR camera that both fits well and feels good in hand is very critical.

As a Sony A-230 and A-700 user, I know from personal, real time experience that the A-230 model works better for me than the A-700 model which has added features.

Note to Tizeye: I also own and shoot with a Nikon D-90.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:28 AM   #17

It's not "which camera is best", but "which camera is best for you."

That is, can it do what you want, and can you work with it? Carting around a dSLR on a bike would be a problem, but if you're up to it you're a better man than I am (with apologies to Rudyard Kipling.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:38 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Another prime I would like is the 300mm f4 but it and the uberexpensive 300, 400, 500, 600 fastglass all autofocus on the D3000. Sony doesn't offer that level of optics.
Right this minute in a longer prime, the Sony 300mm f/2.8G is it (other than the 500mm f/8 Autofocus Reflex lens).

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665079072

Minolta made a number of longer Pro Quality Primes that will work fine on any Sony dSLR. For example, keh.com has a couple of Minolta 400mm f/4.5 HS lenses in stock right now:

http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1...R/MA06/FE.aspx

B&H recently had a couple of Minolta 600mm f/4 lenses in stock. It looks like they're gone now (but, I see several of them on Ebay). I only see one of the less expensive 300mm f/4 AF primes on Ebay right this minute with this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330415613714

But, they pop up at dealers of used gear on a regular basis.

Any Minolta Autofocus lens ever made will work fine on any Sony dSLR (and they'd all be stabilized, thanks to the in body stabilization system). So, the used market is your friend if you're shooting Sony and need a longer prime like that. You've got lenses like the Minolta 300mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4, 400mm f/4.5, and 600mm f/4 to choose from in used Minolta Autofocus glass. But, it's probably unlikely a user buying an A230 is looking at that level of optics.

As time passes, I think Sony will release more longer primes, too. For example, they announced a 500mm f/4 at PMA that I'd expect to start shipping sometime later this year. Here's what it should look like:
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
It's not "which camera is best", but "which camera is best for you."
Carting around a dSLR on a bike would be a problem, but if you're up to it you're a better man than I am (with apologies to Rudyard Kipling.)
You mean something like this?
I don't do it all the time but took a series of shots to prove to others in another forum we actually have hills in Florida. Handholding a D40 at 29mph with a downhill approaching.
Going on a 20 mile mountain bike ride tomorrow in a wildlife refuge, but leaving the camera in the car as the other riders are too aggressive to allow photo stops...but will be on the lookout of where I need to return after the ride.
Also, looking for a small P&S that would be more realistic, but my next purchase is going in the opposite direction upgrading to a D90.

(First time tried posting photo on this forum, hope it works.)

EDIT: OK, it worked. A little large as I usually set to 800 pixels, but seems wider on this forum. Not the best example of photos, but I was a little preoccupied, and yes, it was on full auto.

Last edited by tizeye; Mar 20, 2010 at 8:09 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:11 PM   #20

Check out the Pentax KX before you make your final decision. You could well be surprised.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote