Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:07 AM   #1

Default Is Sony A230 is better than Nikon D3000?WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY?

hi,i need to know that,is A230 from sony is the best for beginner?cuz mmy friends uses Nikon D3000 & D90.they say the shutter speed of a230 is slow..is it really true?They suggest me to buy Nikon D3000.but i wanna A230..but i dont know the advantage and disadvantage of the models...
Harith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:03 AM   #2

The Sony A230 has sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, while Nikon uses optical image stabilization in the lenses. That means any lens connected to the A230 will be stabilized, including 20+ year old Minolta lenses on the used market. Stabilized lenses for Nikon, in general, are bigger, heavier and more expensive, and there are few stabilized lenses in the used market. Image stabilization compensates for image blur due to camera shake and can help when shooting with longer exposure times.

Other than that, the two cameras are very closely matched.What actually matters most is what works best for you. If you can't comfortably hold the camera, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll miss shots and be dissatisfied with your choice. I suggest you go to a good camera store and try them both out.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:32 AM   #3

Harith-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

I am a Sony A-230 and A-700 user. I personally like the size of the A-230 body and the quickness of the controls. Even though I have two Sony DSLR models, I tend to reach for the A-230 first. It is like taking an old friend with you when departing home with a camera.

TCav has shared very good advice with you. handle both the A-230 and the Nikon D-3000 cameras, paying close attention to the placement of the controls and your hand span across those controls.

Have a great day and I will attach a link to a sunset photo taken last night with the Sony A-230 camera.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...50_tpc4z-L.jpg
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:37 AM   #4

Hey,thanks for your advice & suggestions,it really help me...& to mtclimber,thx for the photo,i love it,it makes me wanna choose the A230....
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:42 AM   #5

By the way,can i know the speed of the shutters of both models i mentioned earlier?cuz my friends say Nikon is way better than Sony..mostly my friends chooses Nikon rather that Sony...
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harith View Post
By the way,can i know the speed of the shutters of both models i mentioned earlier?
I can't imagine why someone would say that the shutter speeds on one camera were faster than those on another. The idea is silly, and that's why I didn't respond to it. There are reasons to select one camera over another, but the speeds of their respective shutters isn't one of them. But just for the record, both the Nikon D3000 and the Sony A230 have the same range of sutter speeds: 30 seconds to 1/4000 second, in 1/3 EV increments.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:34 AM   #7

Harith-

I much prefer the physical size and shape of the Sony A-230. Be sure to physically handle each camera. The Nikon D-3000 just did not feel as good in my hands, and my hands did not span the controls as well as I was able to on the A-230.

Here is a A-230 action shot for you. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...72_obs7q-L.jpg
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:53 AM   #8

I think the Sony offers better value for the money when you compare the 2 models. Just saw a brand new A-230 on sale at Walmart for 379.00 with the kit lens. The Nikon D-3000 was priced at 549.00. That extra money saved could be applied towards a purchase of another lens.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
I think the Sony offers better value for the money when you compare the 2 models. Just saw a brand new A-230 on sale at Walmart for 379.00 with the kit lens. The Nikon D-3000 was priced at 549.00. That extra money saved could be applied towards a purchase of another lens.
You could buy a 'Beercan' for the difference.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:10 AM   #10

Thx...it really help me...great!