Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:09 PM   #1

Default Canon 20D, Nikon D5000, Canon Rebel XTI, Olympus E-620

I got a new point and shoot camera for Christmas, which I loved until I started to begin shooting in manual mode. I quickly got frustrated with the limitations of my point and shoot camera in low light situations indoors. Photography is a hobby that I am not opposed to expanding into something more but not planning on making a living with it now. My real goal is to be able to take professional quality photos of family (I have 2 small children who are tricky to photograph at low shutter speeds) and friends, at locations like parks as well as inside with a backdrop. I want to get a DSLR camera that I won't outgrow quickly (having outgrown this point and shoot in 4 months) yet also won't be too confusing for a first time DSLR user. I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible but I do NOT want to skimp at the sacrifice of quality photos. The camera's I'm thinking of are the

Canon 20D used from a friend for 450 dollars. It would include a 18-55 3.5-5.6 lens kit, but I would also buy a 50mm 1.8 lens +100 dollars this camera comes with all the original stuff and is at about 20K Actuation, rated for 200K, so has good life left.

Canon Rebel XTi New 650 dollars with 50mm 1.8 lens +100 dollars

Nikon D5000 New 630 dollarswith 50mm 1.8 lens +100 dollars

Olympus E-620 New with 14-42mm lens 570 dollars

The thing I'm having a hard time with is comparing a better yet older camera to the new ones that might have a few more bells and whistles. And I am leery that the 20D doesn't autoclean, but I don't know if this is really a big deal or not.

Also my current camera takes great video so I don't feel this is a priority in the DSLR I get.

I am open to any feedback, suggestions etc.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:40 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i would not get the 20d or the xti. both are getting older at this point. and the 20d is not rated at 200k, its rated for 100k, but in reality many go before that.

so that leaves from your list the d5000 and e620.

the d5000 is a nice camera, with great image quality, good video, etc. however, the 50 1.8 will not focus on it. the d5000 lacks a focus motor inbody, so it relies on focus motors in the lens, so you need lenses with the AF-S designation. the cheapest lens in this category would be the 35 1.8 Af-S for around 200USD. or the 50 1.4 af-s for around 400USD.

the oly e-620 is a nice entry-level kit indeed. the downside to the oly is that its harder to find used lenses for the 4/3 mount compared to nikon or canon. but it offers a ton of features usually reserved for higher tier cameras for that price.

you may also look at canon's XSI for around the same price. much better buy than the older canon's you mentioned. and compatible with all EOS lenses.

another option would be Pentax's KX. great high iso performance, nice video and all around good feature set for the price.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:45 PM   #3

las-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delight you dropped by.

To gain a better view of things I believe that your selections have to be divided in two parts:

Older generation DSLR cameras:
Canon 20D - now 4 generations old.
Canon XTi - now 3 generations old

Current Generation DSLR Cameras
Nikon D-5000
Olympus E-620

Personally I believe that a new, current generation DSLR camera with a full year's guarantee is the better choice. Have you looked at and considered other new entry level DSLR cameras such as the Pentax Kx, the Nikon D-3000, and the Sony A-230?

If high ISO shooting capabilities are high on your list, then you should really look at the Pentax Kx.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:16 PM   #4

Thanks, yes I'm open to looking at other cameras and learning a ton too, and I am a bit weary of buying a used camera, though better grade.

So, how would the Nikon D3000 be a better option than the D5000?

I've not been too hot on Sony cameras in the past so I hadn't looked at them too closely, maybe I should.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:34 PM   #5

las-

I was thinking that the easiest transition to the complexity of a DSRL camera would be easiest with the Sony A-230 or the Nikon D-3000. The Sony A-230 is now priced at around $370 with a full 1 year guarantee.

I have a A-230 I began with, and still use every day. I recently got the Nikon D-90 but it is so large that it gets used rarely.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:38 PM   #6

Also is there a review of the Pentax K-x
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:41 PM   #7

There are detailed reviews of the Pentax KX at both www.dpreview.com and www.dcresource.com

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:09 PM   #8

Thanks, off to go read those, but based on what I've seen in general I think the Pentax and Nikon D5000 are my top choices.

I don't want to go with the base level camera for a line just because of how quickly I outgrew my current camera. I'm willing to read up and learn and am already reading Understanding Exposure. So I want to get something mid-range.

Can anyone tell me about lens choices for the Pentax? My camera loving friends LOVE their 50mm 1.8 lens so I'd like something similar if not that lens. Also does the Pentax autoclean?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:14 PM   #9

If you do not take to many low light the canon XSi is a good option also. It is a value now as canon has a instant rebate on it. It is as good as the T1i in the Imagine Quaility up to the XSi max iso of 1600.

The Pentax is a great low light camera. With a ton of options. in camera HDR, multiple exposure, hd video, in body imagine stabilization. A large amount of art filters.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:39 PM   #10

That is the reason I want to get a new camera is the lighting in my house is not great I had to set the shutter speed too low to get pictures of my kids without blur.