Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:30 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Mother's Day Present for my wife.

Mother's Day in the UK is on 15th March this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother's_Day

Different countries celebrate on different days.

Anyway, I thought I might get my wife a present. There are two options really; firstly an iPhone - as we are a big Apple household and she hates her current phone, and secondly a new camera.

She currently has a 5-year-old Canon IXUS SD 700 (ELPH). So I went to the camera shop yesterday to have a look around.

A few things caught my eye. Firstly the new IXUS 130 IS (ELPH SD1400 IS). Very nice LCD, very nice menu system, IS, nice zoom range 28-110 equivalent. And it's TINY. Simply amazingly small. I think this was my favourite. And I guess the 1400 must be twice as good as the 700!

I also had a look at the S90, because she's a heck of a talented photographer if she puts her mind to it, but 99% of the time she's only interested in taking snaps of the kids. The S90 seemed a bit complicated and fiddly. Compared to the 130 it was simply huge as well, and the lens doesn't retract flush with the body, which makes it somewhat less of a carry-everywhere camera. It's not significantly larger than her current IXUS though.

I also played with the Olympus E-P1. After all the horror stories about how glacial the AF system is I was amazed. It seemed fairly snappy to me!! Quite solid. Felt big enough though that I kept wanting to put it to my eye. Amazing how useless the LCD is when you put it that close to your face though. I wasn't very impressed with the kit zoom. And she has expressed some interest in the GF-1. But I feel like if I get one of these I might be buying it more for me than her.

All-in-all I think the 130/1400 was my favourite, with a spare battery and a nice little carry-case.

What do you all reckon?
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:17 PM   #2

Leica M would be an excellent present. Just kidding, I would look at the leica Lux 3 also.

Think the horror stories are from dslr owner thinking that the pen's would be a mini dslr. It is not that bad.

But all kidding aside. If all she wants to take is snaps of the kids. The 1400 IS would do those duties with out problems.

But if she takes indoor snaps of the kids, I would look at the s90 or the G11 over the ixus 1400. Much brighter lens up close if you want a bridge camera.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 10, 2010 at 7:14 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:47 AM   #3

Craig-

I feel just about as shoturtle does. The Canon S-90, or the Panasonic LX3 are the kind of cameras that seem to fit your wife nicely, according to your description. Another option would be the new Samsung EX-1, but it may not be available soon enough.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:14 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks for the thoughts.

The S90 is bound to be a good choice.

She manages with her SD700's flash very well, but she does sometimes switch it off. This usually results of course in poor exposure and blurring, but the pictures are generally rescued by the content and composition.

Another thing in the S90's favour is that I happen to have 150 in gift vouchers that I can use at Jessops. They are not the cheapest store by any means, but on some cameras they manage to be competitive. Fortunately the S90 is one of those cameras - no more expensive there than online (~330). The 130 on the other hand is 280 at Jessops and 220 online. So if I were to get her the 130 I would get that from warehouseexpress or something.

There are only a few things holding me back:
1. The interface to the 130 was very impressive.
2. The tiny size of the 130 was very impressive.
3. Style and size do matter to her, and I must admit I found the S90 a bit clunky in both respects.

So a slightly better camera which isn't so cool and sexy? Or a slightly worse camera with "good enough" image quality which is way cool and sexy?

I'll have to make up my mind soon.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:50 AM   #5

Craig-

There is no doubt from your descriptions that your wife has indeed reached a photographic level where she could really make very good use of the S-90. In this case, I believe that camera competence wins out. I am sure that she will be chuffed.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:53 AM   #6
Super Moderator

hey craig,

i think it would all boil down to what exactly your wife would be shooting.

if she is shooting in decent outdoor light most of the time, or if she is staying within 3 meters indoors for her flash shot, then there would really be negligible difference in the output between these cameras. and being used to her 700, maybe that is all she really needs to do. and then the stylish 130 would be great.

if she plans to "switch off the flash" more often, or wishes to extend her flash range via better high iso performance. then taking a hit in style and getting the s90 would be worth it for sure, even if she never touched RAW or M-mode on the dial.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:07 PM   #7

Have to concur with stepping up to the higher models with the larger sensor to support the megapixels. If you do elect the 1400, be aware of return policies.

5 years ago I got my daughter one model down, the SD600. She takes some amazing pictures with that camera and continues to use it today. A couple Christmases ago I got my wife an SD8??. More megapixels and it wasn't even close to what my daughter could do as the two were on the same outing, and she tried using it as well. Ended up returning the camera.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:17 PM   #8

peripatetic

Have you decide which camera to get or did you go with the iphone?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:41 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I took my daughter with me to help me choose, she thought the S90, so we went with that. It's all wrapped up ready for tomorrow morning. Will let you know how it goes...
Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:49 PM   #10

Great taste your daughter has, hope you wife likes it.