Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:17 PM   #11
Super Moderator

If i were to make a m4/3 camera my main kit, the GH1 would right now be that camera. then i would add an oly ep series as my 2nd body.

but having a fullsize dslr kit as my main, the ep series makes more sense for me as a travel kit.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:25 AM   #12

Seems I missed some further conversation overnight....thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I find the GH1 way over-priced considering you can get many entry level DSLRs with good video capability and two-lens kits for a lot lot less. If you can't wait for the new Gs and you wish to standardize on the m4/3 system, then I'd suggest the Oly EP2 or EPL1. They don't have the swivel LCD but they do have IBIS, which is a huge plus over the current G models. The EPL1 has a built-in flash as well so I believe it's ahead of the GF1.
I've had enough waiting.... truth be told, I thought that we'd see the newly announced G2 in March - but June? What's that all about?!? IBIS is the one pull towards an Olympus setup, but I've come to the conclusion that faster AF tips the balance for me. Plus, coming down from my old 40D setup, I'm used to stabilised lenses, and having to pay more for them (!). Is the GH1 over-priced? Perhaps, but I'll come back to that in a minute.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
The GH1 with that 14-140 HD lens is currently one of the movie-making digicams made. with the silent focus lens is completely silent, and the HD certified lens makes small aperture adjustments rather than the large ones in normal lenses. this prevents the washout between exposures. it also has a stereo mic and connections for an outboard microphone. (i think i got all that right, i am not a video guy, someone feel free to jump in if you understand it better)

also the sensor in the GH1 is probably the best sensor in the m4/3 system right now....
Yes hards80, you got that right. The GH1 really is all about that HD lens with step-less aperture and silent auto-focus that actually works while shooting video.

That sensor is key for me too - having looked at the various sample shots in the reviews, it's clear that the high ISO performance of the GH1 is significantly superior to the G1, GF1 and Olympus PEN cameras - ISO3200 actually looks usable in a pinch! Also, comparing the Panasonic(s) to my old 40D, it would seem that I'm going to get similar exposures at ISO800 on the GH1 as I did at ISO1600 on the 40D (info from DxOMark website).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The GH1 is a good option if you want both. It is just very pricey. And for the size of the GH1, you can get a dslr with full hd like the T2i and it has mic jack, and 60fps video. If you are big into hdr, the panny is the better tool for that.
...but you don't get 'usable' live-view autofocus, or good 'silent' AF during video recording. True, the GH1 isn't the smallest camera, but it is smaller (I think, just) that the 550D/T2i, and certainly considerably smaller and lighter than my old 40D with 17-85IS. The PENs and GF1 feel nice, but I do think the slightly bigger body with grip will suit my hands better.

Forgetting video capabilities for a second, one of my key criteria is being able to compose using a screen, rather than EVF. I know some folks here find that strange, but whether it's because I wear glasses, or because of the astigmatism correction I need, even using a viewfinder for short periods leaves my vision blurry (and sometimes double) afterwards. Cameras like the GH1 offer the best of both worlds - and then some. The articulating display should prove versatile, and the excellent EVF is there when it's more appropriate to use it. I tried the new 550D last weekend, and it's live view - for me - is unusable. I know it's a very capable beast too, but it just felt really cheap.

Which bring me nicely back to the GH1 cost. Is it pricey? Well, considering it's a 1000-ish purchase and I'm not exactly loaded, then yes, it is an expensive camera. However, compared with its' other G-series siblings, I'm not so sure that the price isn't right.....

Most of the GH1 money is in that fabulous lens. Forgetting Panasonic's silly pricing - GH1 kit = 1,299rrp 14-140 lens = 1,269rrp (!) - 1050-1100 seems to be the current GH1 kit price, and that lens on its' own will set you back 650-700, so you're looking at an equivalent body cost of 400. The GF1 14-45 kit comes in at around 580, with the lens on its' own 230 - so that's a GF1 body only equivalent cost of 350 (same applies with the 20mm kit at 650 and lens at 300). Were you to buy a GF1 body only, and add the 14-140 HD lens it would still set you back 450 + 650 = 1100 (!!).

I've seen the GH1 kit as low as 999, and I can still take advantage of the current 50 cashback promotion - I think that's a lot of camera (stills and video) for the money, although I do appreciate it's still a lot of money whichever way you look at it. Ideally, if I can pick up a good used one (maybe with some extras like a fast manual prime) on eBay for 750-800, I think this would be a bargain!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:43 AM   #13

Im not into the video aspects so Ive been looking at the G1 for a long time. Now Ive been redirected to the Samsung NX. You could wait for the G2, but then hold off, there will be a G3, G4 etc. You have to jump in sooner or later. Perhaps the G2 will correct any errors that the guinea pig public have found with the G1 since it has been out.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 4:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Im not into the video aspects so Ive been looking at the G1 for a long time. Now Ive been redirected to the Samsung NX. You could wait for the G2, but then hold off, there will be a G3, G4 etc. You have to jump in sooner or later. Perhaps the G2 will correct any errors that the guinea pig public have found with the G1 since it has been out.
...then there's the GH2 as well (!). Having sold my 40D kit at the start of January, I'm tired waiting now that the PMA stuff's out the way, and ready to jump........

The video aspects are quite important as I will use them in my creative business pursuits, and whilst I don't need 1080i, I do want 50fps 720p - even the new G2 doesn't have this (sensor output is only 25fps). The G1 is attractive price-wise, but my earlier argument about that 14-140 lens comes into play again...... I'd prefer a single 10x range lens for everyday use, and the silent, fast AF is another bonus.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
...then there's the GH2 as well (!). Having sold my 40D kit at the start of January, I'm tired waiting now that the PMA stuff's out the way, and ready to jump.
I think you've summed it up quite well here. There will always be something newer around the corner. What's more, the improvements offered by the G2, at least to me, aren't that compelling when comparing the camera to the G1. So I would imagine it might be a similar situation when comparing the eventual GH2 with the GH1. It seems you really want the GH1 - and who can blame you? I say if you can afford it, go for it with the 14-140mm lens and never look back. You can always add the 20mm f/1.7 pancake later - and that would be the first lens addition I would make. Maybe the only one.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:58 AM   #16

Cheers Biro... I've come to the conclusion that my heart does indeed want to 'go for it', but my head's still catching up!! Then there's the financial controller to keep happy.... ;-)

Actually, I can envisage a few nice potential GH2 updates, but - as with my old 40D - big improvements could be made with better, faster glass rather than a body upgrade. I can't afford to get the 20mm f/1.7 at the same time should I buy new, but I completely agree: the 14-140 kit lens, plus the pancake makes for a compelling package, which has the advantage of fitting into a holster case, and not a rucksack!!

Used GH1 kits don't seem to appear on eBay too regularly, and I've missed out on a couple of auctions 'cos I hesitated..... I'm still wary of spending 800-ish, even for something only a few months old (and potentially with a receipt). The current best price I can find new is 949 after the 50 cashback (or 988 with 2-year warranty), and my sensible head says wait until I have the extra cash to buy new.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
and my sensible head says wait until I have the extra cash to buy new.
I agree completely. The only way I'd buy a digital camera SLR (or equivalent like this) used is if I personally know the seller - especially if the price is that close. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:26 AM   #18

Well, I've gone and done it. Finally!!

I couldn't resist a sub-1,000 price on Amazon - OK, so I won't get the 3 year warranty, but I will get the 50 cash-back from Panasonic, which brings the actual purchase price for a new kit down to 940. A lot of money, but worth it when they fetch over 800 second hand...

Thanks for all the help, support and advice here on these boards whilst I thrashed out the options..... I'm hoping the GH1 lives up to my expectations, and I'll be anxiously waiting for the delivery man tomorrow

Last edited by mrmacmusic; Mar 11, 2010 at 8:30 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:52 AM   #19
Super Moderator

congrats, thats a fine kit!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:10 AM   #20

Fantastic! We'll be eager to hear about how it works out for you. Don't be afraid to post photos. Congratulations and good luck.