Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:00 AM   #21

Thanks guys! Looks like Amazon messed up taking payment, so I'll need to wait until Saturday to play with my new toy, I mean, er, tool!

I've waited 2 months, so I guess another day won't hurt
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Well, I've gone and done it. Finally!!...
From all I've seen, the GH1 is the best of all m4/3. I'd certainly buy it if it wasn't so expensive (or if I had the money). Congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing some images from your new camera.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:43 AM   #23

Thanks Tullio! You all know I debated this next purchase long and hard (possibly too long), and I've ended up going for something different from what I originally thought I wanted - i.e. PEN or GF1 - but the GH1 does tick all the boxes I wanted to tick, albeit for more money.

I justified the extra expense on the basis that....

(a) I prefer the mini 'grip' - it feels more comfortable
(b) I wanted that 10x lens for everyday use (will add 20mm when I'm not so skint)
(c) I wanted the enhanced 720p 60fps and 1080i video capabilities

....hopefully it was a wise move! Looking forward to my parcel arriving tomorrow morning
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:42 AM   #24

Quote:
....hopefully it was a wise move! Looking forward to my parcel arriving tomorrow morning
Congratulations on your decition, mrmacmusic!

I have been following your 'struggle' with pro's and con's of different m4/3-camera's. I didn't want to participate in your thread before, as I am 'slightly' biased, shooting with the G1 - and being happy with it, so far. I am a Panny-man by heart and belive that the G-series is a wonderful tool.

I agree totally with your choice of buying the GH1 - I would too, if I had the means. That 14-140 HD lens is something! I'd love that reach for my G1.......(dream, dream..)

I am sure you will love that articulated LDC - it's a dream to frame and compose!

Picture taken with my 'old' FZ-28 - also a capable P&S-camera

Hope to see lots of postings with photos, once you are setteled in with your new camera!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Congratulations on your decition, mrmacmusic!

I have been following your 'struggle' with pro's and con's of different m4/3-camera's. I didn't want to participate in your thread before, as I am 'slightly' biased, shooting with the G1 - and being happy with it, so far. I am a Panny-man by heart and belive that the G-series is a wonderful tool.

I agree totally with your choice of buying the GH1 - I would too, if I had the means. That 14-140 HD lens is something! I'd love that reach for my G1.......(dream, dream..)
I'm not sure I really have the means myself, but it's too late now I guess the whole point of contributing in these forums (fora?) is being able to hear everybody's own opinions (which they are naturally entitled too), and being slightly biased one way or another is no bad thing! I'm really glad you enjoy shooting with the G1.... If I didn't need the enhanced video and slightly "better" output at high ISO settings, I'm quite sure I would have plumped for a G1 myself.

I think something that everyone misses, is that the GH1 isn't an expensive camera. OK, it is - but it's only comparatively expensive because of the lens. As I mentioned earlier, stick the 14-140 on a GF1 and you're talking the same money, and you're getting a lot 'more' with the GH1 if you can live with the form factor. Me? I wanted the 10x range, and I'm more comfortable with the grip, so in the end, it was actually an easy decision to make.

Cost is always an over-riding factor, and probably the reason I took sooooo long to decide.... in the end, it was very much as case of "you're only here once", so just go for it..... when the price dropped below 1,000 I jumped.

Quote:
Hope to see lots of postings with photos, once you are setteled in with your new camera!
I hope to continue to be part of this community, and help others too where I can - I'll be sure to share my experiences!

Still no confirmation of shipping, but it is due out today for delivery tomorrow

I posted a couple of other GH1 questions over in the Panasonic/Leica DSLR category... hopefully someone can help with these?

Last edited by mrmacmusic; Mar 12, 2010 at 7:54 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:37 AM   #26

Quote:
- I guess the whole point of contributing in these forums (fora?) is being able to hear everybody's own opinions (which they are naturally entitled too), and being slightly biased one way or another is no bad thing!

- I posted a couple of other GH1 questions over in the Panasonic/Leica DSLR category... hopefully someone can help with these?

About not contributing before now, is because I have no first hand knowledge of the GH1 myself, only G1.

Personally I would like the longer reach of the 14-140 mm and the fact that the GH1 and the G1 have different sensors, the GH1's sensor having slightly better ISO-functions (I have been told...). I don't need video.

Tell you what - the only thing I am sceptical to with my G1 is the shutter. It does make a rather strange and quite loud (considering there is no mirrow) noise. I have shot approxim. 11-thousand exposures (since December 09 ) so far and hope to get to 100.000 exp. before my 3-year guarantee on the G1 expires. Although, here in Norway we have actually a 5-years warranty on items that are suppose to last longer than 3 years.

I wouln't bee too optimistic about getting an answer in the Panasonic/Leica DSLR Forum if I were you, as there is hardly any traffic there at all. Only contibutors there are Tullio and DonalDuc. I don't think there are many GH1-owners (apart from DonalDuc) with Steve's at all.

Best regards from Norway!
Walter_S
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:21 PM   #27

Well, the GH1 arrived safely around midday yesterday after all, but with family commitments and Mother's Day today, I've only just got round to opening the box!!

There was a few minutes charge in the battery as supplied, so I've only fired up the GH1, set the clock, and had a general look around the camera and menus. The battery is charging now, but considering it's already 11.15pm I doubt I'll be doing any real testing tonight :-(

My initial un-boxing impressions? Well, bearing in mind that I've gone over and over my options 'on paper' for a while, and only actually handled a G1 (without battery), I'm dead chuffed thank you very much!

I know the GH1 isn't a 'pocketable compact', but to me (with my big hands, and my experience with a 40D) it feels really small... no make that tiny.... which is good. It also feels solid and very well made, and the rubberised body seems to make it feel all the more secure in the hand. The 14-140 lens is awesome - I'd looked at the dimensions, but it really is much shorter in real life than I had imagined (like a few other things I guess!!). It's heavier than you might reasonably expect giving it's diminutive proportions, and the zoom is quite stiff, although maybe that's just because it's new.

Anyway, I'm not sure now much testing time I'll actually get this week, but I'm really looking forward to getting back to shooting again!!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:05 PM   #28
Super Moderator

congratulations friend. i am looking forward to hearing more and seeing some examples.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:16 PM   #29

Good luck on your purchase. Im sure you will have no regrets. As an after thought I wonder about the comparison between the GH1 and Samsung NX.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:58 AM   #30

More kind words.... thanks everyone!

For some reason, the Samsung NX just didn't float my boat. Don't know why particularly - maybe it's just I've had bad experiences of Samsung in the past (not cameras). Maybe I just thought it looked ugly! (Who am I to talk??!)

Equally interesting will be comparisons once Canon and Nikon enter the whole 'mirror-less' category (Sony too).... I doubt we'll see 'proper' DSLR's disappear, but I think the whole MFT/mirrorless segment of the market is really going to take off in the next few years.

Considering that they can be made much smaller than their APS-C equivalents, it would be nice to see faster MFT-specific lenses. I believe Panasonic are talking about a 100-300 which I'd be interested in for sure (at the right price), and give me a 12-60 (or thereabouts) f/2.8 'standard' fast zoom..... that'd be nice!!

Nothing wrong with my new 14-140 mind, just thinking about the future!!