Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:46 PM   #21

Option two sounds best to me... assuming you follow through with the 50mm f/1.4. Just think of what you want to take pictures of, etc. what your needs are. The last thing you want is to have a lense you really don't use often... A lot has to do with your camera, a lot (photo clarity, etc, etc.) has to to do with the lense.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:13 PM   #22

First, the Black K-x is twelve dollars less than the Navy K-x, so that would bring option 2 down from $1072 to $1060.

Second, the Tamron gives you the 1:2 macro capability that the Pentax 55-300 doesn't have.

Lastly, anything better than either the Pentax 55-300 or the Tamron 70-300 Di LD will cost A LOT MORE.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:23 PM   #23

well with the pentax only option, you will not a a range gap of 15mm actual range, but about 20mm with the crop factor of 1.5.

The 50D is a great camera, but it does not have HD if it is something you are interested it. It would be a fantastic sport camera with 6+ fps.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
well with the pentax only option, you will not a a range gap of 15mm actual range, but about 20mm with the crop factor of 1.5.
22.5mm, actually.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:36 PM   #25

Thanks TCav
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:47 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by las7828 View Post
The other (which I'm not sure is a reality) is getting the Canon 50D $930 and the canon 50 mm 1.8 for 100 dollars, for a total of 1032. then over the next 2 years working up to getting other lens options. I know I'm throwing a whole new camera into the mix.

speaking to the canon. i shoot a 50d and its a wonderful camera.

that said, if you wan to go canon. i would suggest getting the t1i/t2i, better value for your shots. you have not mentioned sports where the extra fps of the 50d would help, nor really any extreme outdoor shooting where the rugged body would be of benefit. so for general shots, the rebels are a better buy and have video if you need it. and at least the t1i saves you some money you can spend on a lens.

ok, now with that said. for low-light indoor shots. the k-x is probably a better value for the entry-level cameras. it is the king of high iso for entry level at this point in time.

ok, now with that said, if you ever do plan to shoot sports, then we are back to canon.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:48 PM   #27

lol while I wouldn't not get an additional lens to get the Navy, I would pay an extra 12 dollars for it.

So the general thoughts is, better to get the Tamron over the Pentax?

Can you explain what this means better to me?
"well with the pentax only option, you will not a a range gap of 15mm actual range, but about 20mm with the crop factor of 1.5"

I am assuming that is talking about the low end of the Pentax starting at 55 while the Tamron starts at 70, but in use, what or how would that limit me? And would that limit be more inconvenient than the added Macro ability of the Tamron? My point and shoot (Lumix) does great macro shooting too, but the more I can do with one camera the better.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:55 PM   #28

nope, the pentax lens would be my pick over the tamron.

The crop factor the the APS-C sensor on the pentax is 1.5, while the standard 36mm film or full frame. So since it is a bit smaller, the same focal range on the 2 different size will cause the photo look like you have more zoom, thus crop factor.

Depending on you shot, one may be a bit short at 55, and the tamron may be a bit long at 70. You can resolve this by cropping in post production of the 55mm shot.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:12 PM   #29

The gap between the coverage you'd get with the 18-55 and what you'd get with the 70-300 isn't that much. The angle of view at 55mm is about 27.6° and at 70mm it's about 21.8°. The difference is about 25% which is more than I'd like to crop, but only you can say whether it would be a problem.

With your current camera, how much shooting have you done at focal lengths between the 35mm equivalents of 82.5mm and 105mm?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:12 PM   #30

Here is a good tool to show you the example of the crop factor

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learnin...comparison.php