Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:11 PM   #31

The size and weight difference between the Canon 50d and the Pentax Kx is huge - the Canon is too big and heavy for me. So that would be a big consideration for me.

I think your idea of getting the camera, 18-55 and (soon) the 50 1.4 is excellent, it sounds like it's where your heart is and as you say, you can always use your ultrazoom for the tele stuff right now.

With that in mind, you don't have to make a decision about the Tamron vs. Pentax tele lenses right now at all - forget about it until you hear a long zoom calling your name. Then evaluate both lenses when you have a better idea of what it is you want from a lens. There's at least one thread under either the Pentax dSLR or Pentax lenses section of this board that has comparison shots, that can help you later on.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:23 PM   #32

Just one thing more to consider, the 2 lens kit for the pentax k-x is 700 dollars right now at abes of maine. Adding the 50mm will still keep you in the 1000 dollar range, and cover all your needs. Since you are on a ship. If the calling for the long zoom comes. I will not be as quick getting to you, and some shops do not ship to a APO or the navy equivalent.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... or the navy equivalent.
That's "FPO".
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:37 PM   #34

Well the consideration is, the 55-300mm kit lens DA-L is about 160 dollars, if I were to go back and then decide to buy the 55-300mm lens later, it would have to be the DA and more expensive at 350 dollars. So, if I want that focal length, then I'd end up costing myself more money for it. But you are right my heart is definitely in getting the 50 1.4 lens as soon as possible.

I currently have the Panasonic Lumix FZ35, with 18x zoom and good macro ability. I am really happy with it except for it's indoor shooting capabilities, but I can get amazing shots at the zoo etc.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:41 PM   #35

LOL I'm not on a ship that is another poster, I'm in TX

I also want to add, thanks so much for all the information! This is such an overwhelming choice, with so many options it is a bit intimidating to just step in so the help is great!
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:03 PM   #36

To many K-x question, T1i question please. LOL
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:37 PM   #37

lol, so I should get the K-x right and not the T1i lol
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:44 PM   #38

If action is something that you will need get the T1i, if not the pentax is a bit better in low light
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:52 PM   #39

Well, I have kids that move a lot that I want to shoot indoors without having to use flash all the time. At the same time I also want to be able to shoot them on a swing set.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:34 PM   #40
Super Moderator

the k-x is fine for any action like that. it would take some sports to really show any AF difference between the 2 in action.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote