Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:03 PM   #1

Default Talk to me about lens options for the Pentax K-x

How are the kit lenses that come with it? Is it worth it to get the kit with both the 18-55mm and 50-200mm lens, or save the 80 dollars and put it towards a better lens? Is there a lens equivalent to the 50mm 1.8 lens? Are there GOOD lens options in the 300 and under price range or in order to get decent lenses are you looking at a more significant investment.

In general I'd be looking for a good lens for indoor portraits as well as park shots etc. My point and shoot has a great zoom so I wouldn't be looking into that sort of a lens right away.

Should lens options be a limiting factor and lead me towards a canon or other brand instead?

And in general, how do you like the camera? any buyers remorse? Wish you had spent more for something nicer?
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:13 PM   #2

Well a 50mm 1.4 is about 330 dollars, it is a very bright lens. It is a excellent fast prime. Very good build quality. It is way better then the canon ef 50mm 1.8. Pretty equal to the canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM in build and performance. The canon EF 50mm USM 1.4 is in the same price range of 330 dollars. The nikon option is 450 dollars.

I would go with the longer zoom, the DAL 55-300mm. The 200mm will be a bit short for a long zoom. And well worth the 80 dollars difference.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:16 PM   #3

Also with the K-x having inbody IS, and match it with the 50mm prime. It makes an fantastic low light combo. Even a bit better then the canon with the ef 50mm 1.4 USM for hand held work. Since the canon primes do not have IS. Same issue with the nikon prime, no IS.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 7, 2010 at 9:18 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:39 AM   #4

So you would recommend the kit with the 18-55mm and 55-300 as well as a 50mm 1.4 like this,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._SLR_with.html

and

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_4.html

Also, is the 55-300 sold with the camera kit the same quality as the one that sells for 350 dollars? or is it a lesser quality lens?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_5_8_ED.html
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:46 AM   #5

Ok I actually answered my own question about the DA v. DAL lens off to find out how much the DAL is, and if I should wait on getting a longer zoom lens and get the 50 mm first.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:18 AM   #6

las7828, NOT to detract or take away from anything shorturtle has kindly and rightly mentioned above, I am going to buy a Pentax, soon... but I am getting the body at a good deal, perhaps that is why it does not come with any kit lenses. But, that being said, I will have money to invest in a good lense... I am trying to make look at purchasing of lense in a strategic fashion, so what I need might be different than what you need. Yes, the 50 mm 1.4 is a great lense, I hear ONLY good about the DAL 55-300 mm. I have been saving up for this camera since November, and racking my brains over what lense(s) to get. I am carefully looking at a 17-70 mm OR 16 -45 mm. Bottom line, think about your needs, look carefully, think about the quality that these lenses afford in giving you good shots. All the best on your purchase and enjoyment of a camera. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:09 AM   #7

Forget the kit lens. Go with the 50mm 1.4 and the Tamron 18-250. You have it all covered with two lenses.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by las7828 View Post
Ok I actually answered my own question about the DA v. DAL lens off to find out how much the DAL is, and if I should wait on getting a longer zoom lens and get the 50 mm first.
DAL lenses are sold with the kits only. Unless you find a used one
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:32 AM   #9

The pentax 18-250mm is a nice lens, just know that it will not give you as good performance as a 2 lens option. However it will let you keep a simpler system. At the long end with the 2 lens kit, you have a max aperture of 5.6, with the one lens option you have a max of 6.3. Just something to consider.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 8, 2010 at 7:35 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The pentax 18-250mm is a nice lens, just know that it will not give you as good performance as a 2 lens option. However it will let you keep a simpler system.
So, would you argue that one might fare better with 16-45 mm and 50-300 instead of the 18-250 mm?? I also tend to believe that 2 lenses would be the better option, too.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote