Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Default FZ35, HX1, or LX3? All around P&S performer

Hi,

I'm looking for an all around P&S performer. I want to be able to adjust manual settings as well as have a great quality camera with a good price. I would get a DSLR if it weren't for the bulk and budget.

I was looking at the FZ35 and Sony HX1, but after reading a lot of resources online, I'm veering more towards the FZ35.

I am considering the LX3 since it supposedly has much better quality than the FZ35, but if the differences aren't noticeable, I might as well get the FZ35.

Any insight would be very helpful!
jasonkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

they are both good camera's, but for very different reasons.

the LX3 is a compact camera with pretty good low light capabilities for a p&s, and good manual controls. however its lens limits its versatility, it has a 2.5x zoom lens that is only 60mm at the tele end, so this camera is best suited for indoor scenes, landscapes, or cityscapes.

the FZ35 is definately the most versatile choice. it offers a tremendous lens 18x zoom, 468mm tele end, with a good wide angle as well. and offers every manual control you could want as well as RAW etc. it also has great video.

for all around use and learning tool, the fz35 is the ez choice.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:50 PM   #3

How big of a camera are you looking for the fz is not a pocket camera. If that is something you are looking for. Same for the sony HX1. Only the LX3 is a pocket camera.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies!

The main qualm I do have with the LX3 is it's 2.5x zoom, I know I need only around 10x, but it seems the FZ35 is the best performer in the 10x-above category, am I assuming correctly?

I'm not really looking for something pocketable, I'd most likely be carrying it in my GFs handbag (letting the woman carry the weight :O), and we do have a Canon a460 and my Samsung INNOV8 (camera phone that does surprisingly well in good lighting) for general usage. I'm really looking for a camera that we can use for outings and special events to capture those memorable moments.

Thanks a lot again for your inputs!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:05 PM   #5

@hards880: I noticed you didn't even give the HX1 a chance :O
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:10 PM   #6

I would look at the panny zs3 or zs7, they will fit in the pocket.

Also the new canon SX210.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:19 PM   #7

hmmm, I haven't really looked at the zs3, but does the zs3 have the customization of the fz35? and is it a fair trade-off (size for the other fz35 features)?

Where I am,the ZS3 and FZ35 are around the same price ($300). The Sony H20 is at $200 though, and the price is pretty tempting.

Sorry to bother you with all these questions, but I've been spinning my head on this for over a week and I still haven't made a firm decision. :O :O. Unfortunately, where I'm at (Philippines), the only cam I was able to test was the H20 (other cameras they didn't have to test), and we don't have an exchange policy unless it's broken...so whatever I buy, I'm stuck with it.

HX1 (around $400 here):
PROs: Articulated screen, Panorama Sweep, Twilight Mode, won the TAFTA award for superzoom
CONs: Memory Stick, more expensive than the rest, pictures have a purple fringe

ZS3 (around$300)
PROs: Compact
CONs: Slightly lower zoom, does it have the same amount of customization as the superzooms?

FZ35 (around $300)
PROs: Best reviews all around
CONs: Fixed screen

H20 (around $200)
PROs: smaller, cheaper
CONs: Memory stick, purple fringe

I'm still getting a headache from the 'big decision', and I've been pouring out to my GF, who doesn't really get why I need another camera when we already have the A460 :O

Last edited by jasonkd; Mar 7, 2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:25 PM   #8

It does not have as much as the FZ35, but it can be place in the pocket.

The H20 is a nice camera, but it will leave you tight if you take landscape and building. As it is 38mm on the near side as oppose to 25mm and 28mm with the panny and canon.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:27 PM   #9

jasonkd-

The long and short of it is that you really cannot go wrong with the Panasonic FZ-35/38. I own the ZS3, the FZ-35 and the HX-1. The ZS3 and the HX-1 are good, the FZ-35 is great It is just that simple. You will not regret your decision.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:29 PM   #10

Also the new zs5 it has allot more controls.