Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:27 PM   #1

Default Out of these P&S cameras

Hello, I've been interested in purchasing a new camera and came across this site. I've learned a lot and need advice to which cameras out of these I should get.
Sony DSC-H20
Panasonic DMC ZS3
or
Panasonic DMC FZ35
Out of these cameras,
1) Which one takes decent low-light pictures? I know the H20 has a twilight mode which I think is decent in low-light? But lacks the wide-angle lens.
2) Is wide-angle that crucial?
3) Most importantly, which camera takes the best pictures in Auto Mode (or iA).
I will be using this camera along with the rest of my family members and they don't know about manual settings so will use auto mode almost exclusively.
I'm only going to take pictures for my blog and the pictures won't be too big so I think that'll help with noise reduction no matter which camera I get. The size or weight of the camera is not an issue. Also, if I missed any other camera that you guys think would fit into my needs please list them(no dslr's please), Thanks a lot.
Btw, I'm currently on a budget around $300 or less.
onlyjjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:32 PM   #2

I you want compact the ZS3, it is a nice pocket camera. Not as much manual control

The fz35 is a much larger camera, but has allot of manual options. It is really a great camera.

The H20 is really nice also, but the zoom starts at 38mm, so if you take landscapes. It may be a bit tight for wide angle work.

For a point and shoot, bridge camera. But they are not great for low light, but decent for allot of sample photos posted.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:46 PM   #3

I actually think I'm going to rule out the ZS3. Reading through the forum, I've found out that the indoor/low light photos will suffer considerably against the H20 and FZ35.

Question is best Auto Mode + decent low light out of H20 and FZ35.
Also, is the FZ35 worth the extra $100?
onlyjjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:01 PM   #4

if you take wide angle shot, it helps allot. The FZ35/38 is really a very good camera.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:04 PM   #5

I think the FZ35 gives you both a wider wide angle capacity (27mm vs 38mm) and a more powerful telephoto range (486mm vs. 380mm). This means it will be easier to take close ups of big groups and zoomed in shots of distant objects/people. I had the FZ28 and was very happy with its versatility in various settings. Go to imaging-resource for a review of the FZ35. The H20 has a lot of fans, too and is smaller and lighter. Its image quality is very high for a compact camera. Nevertheless, I would pick the FZ35, because I like to take pictures of various sports and that camera enables me to cover almost an entire soccer/football field without having to run all around or change lenses (as I would have to do with a DSLR).
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:52 PM   #6

Between the H-20 and the FZ-35, if the camera is to be operated in the Automatic or IA mode, you had best get the H-20 camera.

The IA is really not fully effective on the FZ-35 and image quality suffers.

On the other hand, the H-20 (now on sale at OfficeDepot at $199) is rated as having both the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom class. Click on the link below for a photo sample.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...82_KHFFj-L.jpg
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote